Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which iPad trade-in service is best?

• Buy Back World

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Gazelle

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Other (post in thread)

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Which service is better for trading in an iPad 3 or iPad Mini.

I've noticed Buy Back World is offering more than Gazelle, but I haven't heard anything about them. Any opinions?

mfr1340

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2011
n. cal
Gazelle

Gazelle just gave me $225.00 for my 64gig ATT iphone. They sent me a shipping box and I can wait for my 5s to arrive before I send it in.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
celltradein.com

I haven't sold a tablet to them yet, but I've done two old iPhones. I also have quote of $425 for my 32GB AT&T iPhone 5 when my Galaxy S4 arrives :)

First time didn't hear from them for a few days, but an email was answered quickly - their section of Chicago had their power cut for 3 days in a construction accident.

Second time they mailed the check two days after they received my phone. No complaints at all :)

Pay by check or Paypal.

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Have you checked orange offer
Orange? Is this available in the U.S.?

Amazon trade-in. Sites like Gazelle won't give you much.

Does Amazon give cash or is it just a gift card?

Gazelle just gave me $225.00 for my 64gig ATT iphone. They sent me a shipping box and I can wait for my 5s to arrive before I send it in.

Was their online the same as the final price offered?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Competition is increasing which will only benefit us. I like gazelle, but if another service is offering more money then its a no brainer, provided they're an established company.

I'm interested in what Apple and best buy have to offer.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Competition is increasing which will only benefit us. I like gazelle, but if another service is offering more money then its a no brainer, provided they're an established company.

I'm interested in what Apple and best buy have to offer.

I have a suspicion Apple nor Bestbuy will give much.

So I browsed a couple of these sites, and with my 16gb verizon iphone 5

Gazelle is giving 315
celltradein gives 385
Amazon just under 350

The thing with celltradein and amazon if i understand correctly is if you act right now, whereas Gazelle you can hold the cost for now, and ship it in a month.

So I dont know what to do now. Sell my i5 now for more money and use a dummy phone, or....... what for 5S and get less later.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
I have a suspicion Apple nor Bestbuy will give much.

So I browsed a couple of these sites, and with my 16gb verizon iphone 5

Gazelle is giving 315
celltradein gives 385
Amazon just under 350

The thing with celltradein and amazon if i understand correctly is if you act right now, whereas Gazelle you can hold the cost for now, and ship it in a month.

So I dont know what to do now. Sell my i5 now for more money and use a dummy phone, or....... what for 5S and get less later.

Why not just sell it for $400+ on eBay?

tkmcguire1

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2009
Oklahoma
Gazelle is a rip off

Gazelle has a store on ebay.
They will give you lowball prices the turn around and mark up and sell for a profit on ebay.
You much better placing it for sale on your own.
Example last year when I sold my ipad 3,I tried gazelle,just curious to see what they would offer,it was in like new condition .
They offered $245,I sold on ebay for $430,this was right after the 4 came out.
Talk about a rip off.
Just sale on your own,you will be much better off,and have more money in your pocket:)

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
Gazelle is giving 315
celltradein gives 385
Amazon just under 350

For me, as shown above, celltradein is only $15 less than what you mentioned ebay will get you. I would rather not go through any possible hassle with Ebay. ;)

This is my exact reasoning as well.

On ebay itll fetch ~450, once you account for ebay fees you are just over 400. Then you got to deal with the hassle of bad buyers, or even scam buyers.

I rather not deal with the headache of being a seller on such a high price item on ebay.

Im shipping mine out tomorrow. I activated my dummy phone. Besides my company gave me a i5 for work so instead of having 2 for the next 3 weeks, I'll have 1 :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have a suspicion Apple nor Bestbuy will give much..
I can see your point but I think by having best buy and apple be in this trade in market, will make the other services like gazelle up their offers to keep from losing business.

----------

Just sale on your own,you will be much better off,and have more money in your pocket:)

These trade in service offer convenience and safety. I've heard of too many horror stories about people getting scammed out of their phones on eBay, and of course the fees and hassle of trying to sell it.

When I sold my iPhone 4 to Gazelle last year it wasn't worth much being 2 years old and the market was flooded with people selling their iPhone 4 and 4s for the 5. Time is money and I was able to get a decent amount very quickly.

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
I have used buybackworld a few times to sell an ipad 2 and iphone 4 with no complaints. They were recommended to me by a friend and I would definitely recommend their service again and plan on using them to sell my ipad retina if, not when, there is a new ipad.

Gazelle seems good but they pay less. A few friends have used them but unfortunately their prices are a bit low.

Celltradein and orangeoffer are the same company operating under two different names - check their BBB and internet complaints. I would be afraid to deal with this company.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This is my exact reasoning as well.

On ebay itll fetch ~450, once you account for ebay fees you are just over 400. Then you got to deal with the hassle of bad buyers, or even scam buyers.

I rather not deal with the headache of being a seller on such a high price item on ebay.

Im shipping mine out tomorrow. I activated my dummy phone. Besides my company gave me a i5 for work so instead of having 2 for the next 3 weeks, I'll have 1 :)

Dealing with this currently with my HTC One I sold middle of August....

Guy is claiming credit card wasn't authorized and wants a chargeback. But as the device is already in his possesion (or at least, the tracking info says delivered) and I used eBay/PayPal the ENTIRE way, I'm confident I'll get to keep my money.

Just sold my 32 GB AT&T iPhone on eBay as well - $525 + $15 shipping. After fees and such, I'll pocket roughly $460 for the iPhone.

Phonzoxd

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2013
I have used buybackworld a few times to sell an ipad 2 and iphone 4 with no complaints. They were recommended to me by a friend and I would definitely recommend their service again and plan on using them to sell my ipad retina if, not when, there is a new ipad.

Gazelle seems good but they pay less. A few friends have used them but unfortunately their prices are a bit low.

Celltradein and orangeoffer are the same company operating under two different names - check their BBB and internet complaints. I would be afraid to deal with this company.

Well I cant speak for anyone else, but I sent my iphone 5 16gb into Celltradein on Tuesday, they recieved it this afternoon and I got paid tonight through paypal.

All in all it worked great, they kept me updated on everything and they paid me what they promised; 385.

HOWEVER..................

I submitted my order as a verizon iphone, but they are claiming I sent them an ATT iphone. Doesnt matter to me, I got the same amount, but apparently they cant tell the difference or something.

mr.thedaniel

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
gazelle has good customer service, and getting the 5% bonus for amazon gift card is nice, but it still tends to be less money than selling on ebay, amazon, etc.

Ck37421

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2017
I have used Gazelle at least 3 times in the past for phones. This time I had an iPad and buybackworld offered about $20 more. I looked at reviews and initially they looked mostly positive. In looking further that was on there site and another they're affiliated with. If you look deeper a lot of people had the same experience I did.

I sent them an iPad in absolutely mint condition that had been in a hard case with a glass cover since day one. The original offer was for $117. Upon receipt they claim one of the buttons was jammed and the cover was bent causing exposure to the internals. This absolutely was not how it was sent. They revised the offer to $42. If I reject the offer and have them send it back and it's suddenly in the condition they claim it's useless to me now a o they have you over a rail. In digging into reviews and complaints further. This seems to be a trend with them. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.