Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

skitched-20070825-204411.jpg

Actually I guessed the same as swiftaw, but I was beaten to it. ;)

shmoo235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Weird black boxes Again

Hey all again....has anyone had this problem....black boxes are appearing on my desktop and in each window I open. Random placements maybe around an icon, a word or just in the middle of the window..also I have 2 shutdowns, 2 restarts and 2 logouts under the apple.....no new downloads, apps or attachments.....any ideas would be appreciated....thanks

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Hey all again....has anyone had this problem....black boxes are appearing on my desktop and in each window I open. Random placements maybe around an icon, a word or just in the middle of the window..also I have 2 shutdowns, 2 restarts and 2 logouts under the apple.....no new downloads, apps or attachments.....any ideas would be appreciated....thanks

Read my post above ^^^^^^^

shmoo235

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
???????

My question now is what is that about? why the double shut down, restart, logouts and black boxes?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
My question now is what is that about? why the double shut down, restart, logouts and black boxes?
The double Apple menu items is a "side effect" of having VoiceOver turned on. One of the "double" items has a "..." after it, and the other doesn't--the extra one without the "..." executes that action without a confirmation dialogue, I believe. So you don't have to wait for the OS to read "Do you want to shut down..." out loud.

The black boxes are visually showing what VoiceOver is reading.

Lisa1958

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
Mysterious Moving Black Box

Mysterious black box jumping all over my pages. I can't scroll or type.

Thanks. Your below solution worked.

"Go to system preferences->Universal Access

Make sure that VoiceOver is set to Off"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.