Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:08 PM   #1
Jodles
macrumors regular

Does Apple use black projection screens at their events?

At the keynote's they always have such nice deep blacks (or maybe it's just the poor compression on YouTube...), but I'm really curious as to what products they might be using. Obviously everything around the projection screen is black, but have anyone been to these events and seen it live? Is it just a normal white/grey projection screen and a really powerful projector?
Jodles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 03:54 PM   #2
boch82
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodles View Post
At the keynote's they always have such nice deep blacks (or maybe it's just the poor compression on YouTube...), but I'm really curious as to what products they might be using. Obviously everything around the projection screen is black, but have anyone been to these events and seen it live? Is it just a normal white/grey projection screen and a really powerful projector?
no a definitive answer, but with a good projector and a projectionist that knows how to calibrate it properly you can get amazing images like you see in the movies.
boch82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:39 PM   #3
al2o3cr
macrumors regular

For a lot of these presentations, rear-projection is the way to go.
al2o3cr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2013, 05:46 PM   #4
dejo

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2o3cr View Post
For a lot of these presentations, rear-projection is the way to go.
And, I'm pretty sure, the way it is done. And you'd be surprised what that little clicker they hold actually does.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 01:26 AM   #5
Jodles
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
And, I'm pretty sure, the way it is done. And you'd be surprised what that little clicker they hold actually does.
Definitely not rear-projection on all of them. I've seen shadows on at least one keynote from 2012 (not much, but just typically when they walk on/off they sometimes go closer to the screen). Think it varies a bit. Trying to find that one on YT now
Jodles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:59 PM   #6
JSchwartz15
macrumors regular

Usually they use rear-projection for the Keynote. Typically, a rear projection screen is a dark grey.

Source: I work in production.
JSchwartz15 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 04:53 PM   #7
martinX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
And you'd be surprised what that little clicker they hold actually does.
I believe it activates a servo-controlled pokey stick* in the projection room that pokes the projector operator in the head reminding him to advance to the next slide. Then a peanut slides down a chute for him. You need to incentivise employees.

*the Apple iStickŪ, not to be confused with the Eye Stick, invented by Moses Horwitz in 1921
martinX is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video