Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KatAMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Australia
My iPhone won't send sms messages at all - yes, I have credit - but it will send iMessages if I go into settings and take off wireless, so it's only 3G.

It's an iPhone 3. Everything worked fine until a few weeks ago. I had been overseas, where I had another number put into my phone - still the same sim, not sure how they did it, but I had a local number. I then returned to Australia, and upgraded to 6.0.1. So I'm not sure if it is the software upgrade, the other number or something else.

I can phone, receive calls, receive texts, receive emails, access the internet through apps. Everything else seems to be working fine. I can't send txt messages at all. I can send iMessages if I switch off wireless in settings.

Please help! Thank you

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Same SIM difference#? Whoops doesn't sound legit. You can always go to your home carrier and complain to them and can they give you another SIM. Don't tell them your overseas experience.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
More often than not it is a problem with your APN settings. Check the documentation settings or visit your wireless company retail shop to have them help you.
My iPhone won't send sms messages at all - yes, I have credit - but it will send iMessages if I go into settings and take off wireless, so it's only 3G.

It's an iPhone 3. Everything worked fine until a few weeks ago. I had been overseas, where I had another number put into my phone - still the same sim, not sure how they did it, but I had a local number. I then returned to Australia, and upgraded to 6.0.1. So I'm not sure if it is the software upgrade, the other number or something else.

I can phone, receive calls, receive texts, receive emails, access the internet through apps. Everything else seems to be working fine. I can't send txt messages at all. I can send iMessages if I switch off wireless in settings.

Please help! Thank you

KatAMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Australia
Went to the phone company, but they can't help at all. Have switched off 3G, but still doesn't send txts. Have also just done a restore to factory settings - and again, it hasn't helped.
thanks for suggestions

KatAMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Australia
Finally resolved problem - it must have been a faulty sim. I got a new sim from the provider, ported my number across, and everying is working again. :D
Thanks for the suggestions

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.