Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I was sitting around minding my own business when I got a note from Nik/Google telling me I was eligible to update to the latest bundle across Aperture/Lightroom/Photoshop for free. I had previously only had aperture/lightroom plus didn't have the latest HDR component (which I don't really use anyway, but still), so not a bad deal at all.

A good change here is that fact that it is now one installer for the suite, not a bunch of separate ones, which I like. Looks like they've dropped the price of the suite to $150 too. This all gives me hope that they're not going to abandon the plugins, but obviously only time will tell.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I was sitting around minding my own business when I got a note from Nik/Google telling me I was eligible to update to the latest bundle across Aperture/Lightroom/Photoshop for free. I had previously only had aperture/lightroom plus didn't have the latest HDR component (which I don't really use anyway, but still), so not a bad deal at all.

A good change here is that fact that it is now one installer for the suite, not a bunch of separate ones, which I like. Looks like they've dropped the price of the suite to $150 too. This all gives me hope that they're not going to abandon the plugins, but obviously only time will tell.

This is awesome news. I love the Viveza and Dfine plugin. It's great that they include plugins for Aperture and Light Room now, as it makes it less painful for those that want to switch. (I only had the Aperture ones). Sounds like a much better installer too, the old method where each one had it's own was a pain.

I haven't received my email yet... or I might have accidentally deleted it. :eek: I searched for it in my yahoo email, didn't find it. Then I emptied my spam, only to later learn that their search does not search the friggin spam folder!! Man, I hate yahoo. Should have used my gmail to register, but I used yahoo out of habit, because I hate getting spam from all the software that requires you to register.

Would you mind PM'ing me the link so I can try the latest plugins? Did you have to remove old plugins first, or did you just overwrite with the new installer?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
This is awesome news. I love the Viveza and Dfine plugin. It's great that they include plugins for Aperture and Light Room now, as it makes it less painful for those that want to switch. (I only had the Aperture ones). Sounds like a much better installer too, the old method where each one had it's own was a pain.

I haven't received my email yet... or I might have accidentally deleted it. :eek: I searched for it in my yahoo email, didn't find it. Then I emptied my spam, only to later learn that their search does not search the friggin spam folder!! Man, I hate yahoo. Should have used my gmail to register, but I used yahoo out of habit, because I hate getting spam from all the software that requires you to register.

Would you mind PM'ing me the link so I can try the latest plugins? Did you have to remove old plugins first, or did you just overwrite with the new installer?

I sent you the link so feel free to give it a go. I just overwrote with the new installer and it seemed to go fine - I've tried them in LR/PS but haven't yet tried in Aperture, though I expect they will work with no issues.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I'm a huge fan and this is an awesome deal! Selective adjustments in Viveza with their intuitive automatic U-point tonal masks could not be easier - once you've tried it, it's hard to use any other tool. At least give it a try.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
I'm a huge fan and this is an awesome deal! Selective adjustments in Viveza with their intuitive automatic U-point tonal masks could not be easier - once you've tried it, it's hard to use any other tool. At least give it a try.

Ditto. Silver Efex Pro a must for B&W photos. Here's a sample:

yosemiteentrance2013021hcn.jpg

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Just to add if you use the code "bcox" at checkout you get an extra 15% off!

Even more of a bargain!

EDIT: I do not know if this is a referral code but it appears that it might be. I am not linked to this code as I had purchase the set back when it was owned by Nik so I am unaware of any referral system if there is one in place.

Last edited:

Batteman87

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
South Carolina
Updated my Nik tools to demo what they could do. Here's the before and afters with my full workflow ->http://www.aikenhdr.com/nik-demo-in-greenville/.

FYI too, You can also use Batteman87 at check out to get 15% off to make it ~$125 vs $149. Save where you can. But DO NOT BUY FIRST! They have a FREE TRIAL for 15 days. Make sure it's something you want to put your hard earned money down on. :apple:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How does Nik compare to Topaz Labs?

I have DeNoise and B&W Effects 2 which I really like but if something perform better, I'm willing to improve my work flow.

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
I started a new thread but did not realise it had been posted previously, this is what i posted

If you have ever fancied owning, using or trying Nik Software products now is the time, it 70% cheaper than usual and software like Silver Efex Pro 2 are the go to tool for black and white conversion for many.
The reduction is even better for UK users as before Google took over (it was owned by a German company) it was priced in Euros and one was forced to buy this way now you pay in $ so with the exchange rate at $1:50 ish to one pound sterling it works out at about £100, this is a real bargain.
The link below (which i found after purchase) gives an extra discount via Canon Rumours enter code "northlight" and this brings the price down to about £85 a giveaway but be quick its a limited offer, maybe a day or to left i think.

Lets hope Google look after this software and carry on supporting it.

Last edited:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I took advantage of this as soon as I found out about it. I also used a code and got it for $125 making it all the more sweet. I had always wanted to buy the entire suite but $500 was just too much for me since I would use it primarily on personal photos. Now however I'm considering making a go at making some money with these tools. The final results are stunning when used correctly.;)

This was a heck of a deal and from what I read the developer says that they will continue refining and working on it and that they plan to release a new tool later this year that will surprise and wow. He also said that everyone who owns Nik, whether bought now or previously will get it for free:D

righteye

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
London
How does Nik compare to Topaz Labs?

I have DeNoise and B&W Effects 2 which I really like but if something perform better, I'm willing to improve my work flow.

Topaz Labs have made up the ground on the latest B&W effects but i still give SEP2 the edge.
This discount will shake the business up a bit, must be a PITA for Topaz and Onone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.