Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jp70

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
Palmdale, CA
No

I found you post interesting and never tried it, so I did. It does not work though. In fact it even deleted the time portion. I said, "Tell my wife at 6:00 it's time for dinner."

All it attempted to post was "It's time for dinner."

I changed it to "At 6 o'clock, tell my wife it's time for dinner."

The same message was sent, "It's time for dinner."

PS - I didn't get dinner and think I am now on the hook to make it myself.

:rolleyes:

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
You're referring to scheduled texts, and unfortunately, Siri doesn't do this yet. I say yet because I'm sure this is something Apple engineers have talked about and should be forthcoming. When, however, is the optimal word.

What's funny is that the jailbreak tweak bitesms does scheduled texts perfectly, so it sure is something how Apple hasn't done the same. It's different when you have to slow the rate of feature innovation to continue to sell products and keep up a stock price for the company as a whole.

kind

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
we can ldownload some software and add thin function. it can work well.:D

mikensteviareed

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
Scheduled Texts using siri

You may not be able to schedule text messages using Siri but you can share reminders with your wife and set a reminder using Siri to have dinner ready at 6:30

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Most likely Siri was never programmed to do this as internet access is not available to most people at certain times do t to he building they're in or the system etc. that said your message would never be sent at times so it wouldn't make sense

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I don't want to think about the dark side of something like this but if this was a feature I can see someone setting up suicide notes, or an explanation of why they did something knowing they wouldn't be around when the message was sent. Almost like it was sent from their ghost.

On the bright side I can see some good uses for the feature as well, but I guess for now maybe set a reminder to send a text at a certain time?

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Sounds similar to sending post-dated email, which I don't think any service allows, at least not that I know of for the same reasons mentioned above.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
More features are needed in siri. For example when i am driving i would like to tell siri to start recording or take a picture. I keep my phone on a mount and like to record random things or perhaps traffic stops

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
There's an app that will schedule an email to send at a later time/date. It also does Facebook & Twitter posts at scheduled times.

Schedaroo.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/schedaroo/id514603464?mt=8

Thanks for the info AbeFrohman. What is the time stamp on the message/email it uses, is it when you typed it in or is it post-dated when its actually sent by the app? I think the email services still do't allow that for the reasons mentioned above.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
No, you cannot even though it wold be very helpful. I do believe that some texting/messaging apps can do that though. I would use a time-set message for reminding people like setting a message to send at 8am the next morning reminding everyone there will be a meeting at 10am.

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Ok, so the message still retains the time stamp when you typed it and not when it was delivered later in future. I remember few years back I read that there are legal issues involved in doing this and thats why email service providers didn't provide that option.

MatteoV

macrumors member
May 5, 2017
Like, "send a message to billybob at 6:30 pm: I will see you soon."

Hi, you could try to use Workflow app that can do a lot of things programmatically with your iPhone. I think it is free, some times ago it was about 5 euros (I think, but not sure, that this app was purchased by Apple some times ago). You could ask about how to program your task with Workflow at https://www.reddit.com/r/workflow/ (to execute your task at a certain time maybe you should install some other specific apps like, for example, IFTTT).

I'm not an expert about Workflow but I can tell you it is very powerful, unfortunately it is limited by iOS restrictions (for security).

An example of limitation is that you can not use Siri (in the iOS version 10.3.2) to open an iPhone home shortcut (like a Safari bookmark saved on screen of iPhone) that is a specific workflow (for example the workflow that performs your task to send a sms with specific text to someone at certain time) created with the app Workflow: for now, it is only possible to create the home shortcut of the workflow and to touch the screen of your iPhone to launch the workflow saved (it needs your fingers; only user voice is a dream for now).

Related question if someone can answer: with iPhone 5s that is not charging (in 5s Siri can't run in background without the phone being in charge) can I answer to an incoming call using my voice and Siri? That is: can Siri activates itself only when there is an incoming call and allows the user to answer saying, for example, "Hey Siri, answer in speakerphone"? After the call (call closed), Siri would switch off itself until the next call incoming. Is it possible with the version 10.3.2 of iOS with some settings?

Thanks.
Matteo

Jmgilliam18

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2017
This is the one thing I really miss from my Samsung phones. Their native SMS app and almost all the 3rd party apps do this on android. It's very nice to be able to set future stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.