Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gorskiegangsta

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry to revive an old thread, but that RAM is now $120 with delivery for me. Does RAM really go down that much in price in one year? Is it a good buy now? It would probably be a smarter buy for me than a rMBP (as much as I want one) if it is a good buy..
Yes, pc component prices drop in price as demand increases. SSDs are another great example of this. I'd say that at $75 for 2x 8GB Crucial kit is a great buy if you really need extra RAM.

I got my 16gb of ram for $69, but there are sales where I have seen $49 for 16gb ddr 3.
Indeed, Newegg had G.Skill 16gb ram kit for as little as $45 on cyber Monday.

I've always felt that OWC is overpriced. You can buy 2 x 8GB of 1333MHz RAM from newegg for half of what OWC is charging. Just read through the reviews to see what other Mac users are reporting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0000414&IsNodeId=1&name=DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
OWC advertises superior Mac compatibility, which is just that - advertising. Crucial, Kingston, and G.Skill are as good, if not better than OWC, and they cost much less on Amazon or Newegg.

holy crap. did 16gb ram drop $1500 in price in the last year?? (judging by replies in the previous page)

From what I remember, last October the price two sticks of 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM (total 16GB) was around $1300. So, the price has come down ~$1200, or about 92%.

msh441

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
How times have changes...

-P

PS - I know alust2013 posted this a long time ago. I'm not dissing him, just commenting on the price drop. :)

Understood completely...

I can't wait 'till two years from now when I can get a 1TB SSD for $150 and 2x16GB sticks o RAM!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.