Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
UK
I have the Mac Mini noted in my sig.
I am looking for a suitable UPS, and am after any suggestions?
Will just have the Mac Mini, and maybe an external HDD connected in the future.

I also like to stay power efficient (reduces those damn bills) - does a UPS consume much extra power? I guess its just topping up what the mac mini uses, so power consumption should be minimal?

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
APC has a handy tool that allows you pick a UPS based on the devices you'll be using it with.

Make sure you read the features of the different models. Some are better suited than others for what you want. I always liked the SmartUPS models. They have user replaceable batteries as well. I have this unit myself, APC Smart-UPS C 1500VA LCD 120V and it provides about 25-27 minutes of runtime for my setup (23" Monitor, Mac Mini, Printer, 5 port network switch). It runs about 350-400 but its worth it over those cheap <150 models that don't provide much warning through their displays. Heck, I onced used that model to power a fridge for 43 minutes, granted the fridge was in idle mode.

Most power comes back on within 1 minute, but we had a few that lasted longer than 5. If you are just looking for something that will shutdown safely when power goes out, then maybe a 1000VA would be sufficient and save you about 60-80 bucks and cut your runtime down to 15-17 minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.