Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Why do people want their iPhone 5 to be perfect from a logical
Why do you think logic has anything to do with it?

Why does it matter what others prefer? People will always have varying preferences. If scratches don't bother you good for you. Don't just assume that no one else should care because you don't. Never assume that your preference is universal on any topic.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
This thread is stupid on many levels. If the OP doesn't care, then good for him. Some of us do care if our "new" device shows up looking like crap. I'm jealous the OP has no standards.

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
I understand it costs over $700 and I use to be anul about it too.

But after my first serious scratch I have come to realize that if this was a Nokia no one would care. I wouldn't care.

My razr was really egged up scratches in all everywhere. But who cared. It was legit. And that's all that matters.

iPhone 5 a straight legit phone and that's all that matter.

Agree. I wonder what these same people do when their expensive car gets a scratch.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Because the iPhone 5 is something that is nice to look at, it's pretty, and it's not cool to make something pretty ugly.

Some people don't see beauty though. They look at the logo and then turn their brain off. Those are the same people that look at a painting and think "what's the big deal" or "this Mona Lisa painting is boring".

If you ever visit the louvre museum, go see the Mona Lisa. After observing a thousand masterpieces, the Mona Lisa is tiny and boring.

Murgatroyd

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
Staten Island, New Yawk
Function is all that matters

iPhone with walllet.JPG

Aesthetics is a luxury. Icing on the cake. :apple:

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
Apple sells and markets this phone as a very expensive 'jewel'. Are people wrong to expect delivery on that promise?

I'm curious...When you go to a restaurant, do you have them re-make your meal until it looks like the commercial?

Look at Apple's advertising. The phone is a CGI representation of the real thing. You'll never get one like that because it isn't real.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
Because its an iPhone. It's become so much more than just simply a phone, it's an icon.

Resale value? To be honest I would hate to be OCD about my phone, I used to be like that with my other phones but the. I realized just let go of restricting myself and not care so much about the phone(of course I still take good care of mine) and its a much more enjoyable experience.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
It's like buying a Hugo Boss torn shirt for $165. Would you just deal with it and sew the rip yourself once you noticed it when you got home? I'd want a perfect product, let alone, materials that won't scratch easily.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
ut oh..I better not show my ip5!! Scratch here, scratch there but I don't care. Same functionality so I'm good.

Johnnygogo

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
I know this has been beat to death. But I saw 2 iPhone 4S's sold within a week and the difference between the perfect and the worn one was about 50 bucks. So I don't know that resale value is that big of a deal when people are buyin year old phones. They just want an unlocked iphone.

dabigone

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
This is my sixth iphone. Ive given up on cases and screen protectors. Bang it up and use it like it was meant to.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal

But after my first serious scratch I have come to realize that if this was a Nokia no one would care. I wouldn't care.

My razr was really egged up scratches in all everywhere. But who cared. It was legit. And that's all that matters.

OK let me ask you this.

If your brand new car was all scratched and dented up on delivery would you be happy?

If your brand new TV was all scratched up and banged up on delivery would you be happy?

If your sons new bicycle was all scratched up and banged up on delivery would you be happy?

If your new refrigerator was all scratched up and banged up on delivery would you be happy?

How about your, bed frame, your new painting, your new blender, your new VCR.... (lol, I said VCR.) Doh!

Is there any new product that cost $1,000.00 that you just bought that you would accept and be happy with if it was all scratched and dented up?

Its a simple idea, you buy new, you get new.

Now if apple was selling used iphone 5 for $300 then OK who cares, but they are not.

By your logic, you may as well buy an old broken phone I mean it will be old and broken one day anyway.

You pay for the privileged of using a new device and making any damage yourself.

Just like if you buy a sandwich you get to eat it, what if it came half eaten?? Would you be happy.

is that all logical enough for you?

Last edited:

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Because I'm an idiot and I believe other things to be perfect (like a new car, new TV, etc... even thought that's ridiculous because they have flaws too, I just hold my PHONE to a different standard).

Because I have a sense of entitlement larger than a teenage girl at her sweet sixteen party.

Because I waaaaaaannnnnt it to be.

Because if it's not I might have to spend hours wasting everyones time looking for one (and I'll bring a magnifying glass just to prove I'm not exaggerating when I say FLAWLESS).

That about sums it up for me...

:rolleyes:

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Because I'm an idiot and I believe other things to be perfect (like a new car, new TV, etc... even thought that's ridiculous because they have flaws too, I just hold my PHONE to a different standard).

Because I have a sense of entitlement larger than a teenage girl at her sweet sixteen party.

Because if it's not I might have to spend hours wasting everyones time looking for one (and I'll bring a magnifying glass just to prove I'm not exaggerating when I say FLAWLESS).

Have you ever purchased a brand new high line vehicle?

As someone who has been in the business for 25 years I can tell you yes there may be a minor flaw, but when the customer buying the new Bently, or Porsche sees it, it gets fixed before delivery.

So according to you, asking for a new product that is defect free is being a school girl. I take that as a compliment, it is obvious by your post that the school girl you are referring to has a much better grasp on the retail business world than you.

jon3543

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2010
It isn't logic (for logic would dictate the longer you own something, the more likely it will show wear) it is emotion.

Fueled by envy of the posters who proudly claim their device is "perfect". Never mind that they may not be that observant, or they're posting while still giddy over their new purchase and overstating the condition, or they are simply trolling.

If Apple does release an actual television set, god help us all. Just look at the complaint domain! For LED sets, we have flashlighting, clouding, poor black levels, and for local dimming, blooming. For plasma, we have buzzing, rainbows, IR, line bleed, and dithering, oh my! And for both we have banding and DSE. Which leads me to the only logical conclusion: Apple will release the first mainstream OLED set. (I'm half-serious about that, but that could be latent fanboyism peeking through.)

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
OK let me ask you this.

If your brand new car was all scratched and dented up on delivery would you be happy?

If your brand new TV was all scratched up and banged up on delivery would you be happy?

If your sons new bicycle was all scratched up and banged up on delivery would you be happy?

If your new refrigerator was all scratched up and banged up on delivery would you be happy?

How about your, bed frame, your new painting, your new blender, your new VCR.... (lol, I said VCR.) Doh!

Is there any new product that cost $1,000.00 that you just bought that you would accept and be happy with if it was all scratched and dented up?

Its a simple idea, you buy new, you get new.

Now if apple was selling used iphone 5 for $300 then OK who cares, but they are not.

By your logic, you may as well buy an old broken phone I mean it will be old and broken one day anyway.

You pay for the privileged of using a new device and making any damage yourself.

Just like if you buy a sandwich you get to eat it, what if it came half eaten?? Would you be happy.

is that all logical enough for you?

Well the iPhone 5 is just a phone.

----------

This is exactly it!!! Ha ha ha ha ha! Love it.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

Most likely people want their iPhones to be "perfect" because of 1) resale value; and 2) it's an expensive device and some people are gonna spend two long years with the device. Think about it man, would you want to buy a used iPhone with tons of nicks and scratches on it for $500+? I don't think so. For #2, would be willing to slip out a cracked/half broken/chipped up iPhone? I'd be embarrassed to be seen with something in that kind of condition.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
I would think it was ok to get the phone scratched out of the box if I payed for a used phone, but not when I pay extra for it to be new. There is a reason that used phones are cheaper than a new one even though they work just as well as a new one.

If the phone looks used right out of the box, they shouldn't price it as new.

It's kind of like when some manufacturers sells 2nd grade products through outlets. These are often perfect goods, with a few cosmetic flaws. Because of this they won't sell them through their normal stores as perfect 1st grade merchandise. Instead they sell them through outlets, at a discounted price. But in practice, they are fully functional, just like the ones they sell for full price.

Here Apple is selling both 1st and 2nd grade (cosmetically flawed) products in the same stores, for the same price. Please tell me what the logic is in that.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
The OP wasn't talking about a flawed product out of the box, but getting the first nick in your phone.

It's the same feeling when you get your first ding or scratch in a car you bought brand new. It's a bit of a letdown, but inevitable. You generally don't have the same expectations when buying a used vehicle; instead of 'Aww' it's 'Eh'.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Fueled by envy of the posters who proudly claim their device is "perfect". Never mind that they may not be that observant, or they're posting while still giddy over their new purchase and overstating the condition, or they are simply trolling.
I originally ordered the black 5 but after hearing the early complaints I was able to change my colour preference. My wife got a white 32GB iPhone 5 like me and that came with a chip along the top part of the bezel but mine was flawless. I may have been lucky to a degree, but I know others in my social group who received theirs without faults straight out of the box too. My wife changed hers in the local Apple Store and her second version was flawless thank goodness. I'm not saying this to try and rub it in with any of you, just stating that it was possible not to be affected. :)

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
When I buy an expensive NEW product, I expect it to be in near perfect condition. And personally I'm one of those people that keeps their stuff in mint condition no matter what the product is. I know some people don't care how they treat their devices and that's fine. I could care less how someone else treats their stuff. But everyone should start with a near perfect condition product that they can treat any way they choose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.