Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
Hello,

after some trouble with Windows 7, I decided to reinstall the hole thing.
- I installed Windows 7 RC 64bit on a empty WD harddrive with the selected AHCI drivers.
- After installing, I updated Windows 7. No trouble after restarting.
- After installing the Bootcamp 3.0 (selected Bootcamp64.exe) my system isn't working fine anymore. I got Bluescreen after 1-2 Minutes Windows running on my monitor with the installed 285 GTX, the installed GT120 in slot two seems to run fine and no blue screen on the other screen. But the system always restarts after that and I am not able to install graphics drivers. So I just wanted to know which drivers are best to install with Windows 7 RC 64 bit and a 285 GTX (it's the EVGA Mac Edition) ? Bootcamp 3.0 drivers doesn't seem to work on my Mac Pro (see signature)

THANKS for the help !

Attachments

• 285gtx-gt120.gif
    285gtx-gt120.gif
    939.6 KB · Views: 214

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Blue screen with AHCI driver usually points to an installation error.

AHCI mode relates to the SATA ports of the chip set. On a Mac Pro there is no Nvidia hardware for AHCI. The SATA ports are all Intel gear (ICH10R in the case of Nehalem).

The AHCI driver usually needs patching of the MBR to work. There is a thread which deals with the rather complicated matter:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/760482/

Abidubi

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2009
Montreal
There is also a bug with the new HFS drivers. I kept getting blue screens, sometimes after 5 minutes, sometimes after several hours, and I noticed in the .5 seconds that I had to read the damn message that it kept saying AppleHFS. So I deleted the driver (absolutely no use to me anyway) and haven't had a blue screen since.

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
@ gugucom,

thanks for your answer but I don't think that it is an installation error of Windows 7 with the AHCI drivers. The bluescreen appears only after the Bootcamp 3.0 64bit drivers installation. So I think there must be something wrong with the nVidia drivers from the bootcamp drivers.

Does anybody have a 2009 Mac Pro with a 285 GTX and which driver did u install ?

@ Rominator,

I placed the card in the second slot because of the PCI x16 slot. The others are x4. Also I worry that my GT120 will heat my harddrives when I place it to high.

@ Abidubi,

I'm gonna try that and make a picture of the bluescreen.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
@ gugucom,

thanks for your answer but I don't think that it is an installation error of Windows 7 with the AHCI drivers. The bluescreen appears only after the Bootcamp 3.0 64bit drivers installation. So I think there must be something wrong with the nVidia drivers from the bootcamp drivers.

You are right, the BSDs with AHCI drivers happen while Windows is still loading drivers and before you even see something on screen.

psychedelic

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
I was having the same BSOD after installing Bootcamp 3.0 drivers. The error has something to do with HFS drivers.
I uninstalled all drivers and installed Bootcamp 2.1 and now everything works fine again.
I have my GTX285 running perfectly with the drivers from Nvidia website.

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
I was having the same BSOD after installing Bootcamp 3.0 drivers. The error has something to do with HFS drivers.
I uninstalled all drivers and installed Bootcamp 2.1 and now everything works fine again.
I have my GTX285 running perfectly with the drivers from Nvidia website.

- So you where installing Windows 7 RC 64bit
- After that you installed Bootcamp 2.1 64 bit
- After that you where installing the NEWEST drivers from nvidia (v190.62).

- right ? . just want it to get working !!! :)

@ gugucom, I remember that page you posted. I've seen you edited it a bit. But I still have a BIG FEAR OF THIS LINK. :) I think I'm gonna do that after installing Windows 7 64bit Sale version or doesn't that matter much if i upgrade?

psychedelic

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2008
- So you where installing Windows 7 RC 64bit
- After that you installed Bootcamp 2.1 64 bit
- After that you where installing the NEWEST drivers from nvidia (v190.62).

- right ? . just want it to get working !!! :)

That's correct.
Good Luck!

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
I installed Windows 7 64bit RC with Bootcamp 2.1 Drivers and the newest nVidia 190.62 drivers. Everything successfully.

STILL GOT PROBLEMS :

I installed Crysis with the newest drivers (1.1, 1.2 , 1.21 hotfix) .
Crysis crashes everytime I am playing after about one minute. Also loaded the 64bit.exe . It also shows me some graphics mistakes in the game. The game also starts everytime in window mod, but I select everytime fullscreen... :( what's wrong ? Windows 7 itself runs stable.

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
It opened Crysis in Fullscreen now. FIRST TIME . Everest shows me while playing around 78-84 C on my GTX 285 and 58 C on my GT120. until it crashes. I think that are normal temperatures, what could be the cause of my problem, any ideas? :(

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
By playing Crysis:

I tried disabling the 285 GTX and only use the screen with the GT120 (worked) - by playing crysis 15min
I tried disabling the GT120 and only use the screen with the 285GTX (not worked) - by playing crysis

I noticed, that I have to set the resolution on 800x600. When I set it higher and higher, some white lines do appear and little graphicfaults until it crashes.

After crashing, Windows tells something like : " Windows Kernel Mode driver has stopped responding (nvidia 190.62)"

Can't remember the hole message, wasn't written much but was disappearing to fast. Doesn't see the error message in the Windows Troubleshooting report either.

Btw, the EVGA nVidia isn't working stable in other games too.

System Software:

Windows 7 RC 64 bit (up to date)
Bootcamp 2.1 drivers
nVidia v.190.62 graphicsdrivers

Maybe faulty hardware ?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Card shouldn't be that hot.

Off the top of my head, I know that an 8800GT will get to 80C due to it's single slot cooler. The 8800GTS uses a dual slot one and rarely breaks into the 70s.

I'll plug my GTX285 in and play Crysis, see what it hits.

And I always run it at 2560x1600, most things set medium or higher.

Only top notch cards can run it at that level.

The graphical glitches are one of two things.

You can try artifically speeding fan to 100% and see if that fixes, should run much cooler at that speed.

It is either a bad card, or it is overheating.

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
Card shouldn't be that hot.

Off the top of my head, I know that an 8800GT will get to 80C due to it's single slot cooler. The 8800GTS uses a dual slot one and rarely breaks into the 70s.

I'll plug my GTX285 in and play Crysis, see what it hits.

And I always run it at 2560x1600, most things set medium or higher.

Only top notch cards can run it at that level.

The graphical glitches are one of two things.

You can try artifically speeding fan to 100% and see if that fixes, should run much cooler at that speed.

It is either a bad card, or it is overheating.

OK thanks . Let me see your scores.

- Do you know a good programm to set the GPU fan speed in Windows 7 ?
- I am gonna place the GT120 one slot upper.

I would expect an error message of overheating, if my card would run too hot! And so far I know, GPU's should be able to reach temps up to 90-100° C and run stable.

AppleWorking

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
It opened Crysis in Fullscreen now. FIRST TIME . Everest shows me while playing around 78-84 C on my GTX 285 and 58 C on my GT120. until it crashes. I think that are normal temperatures, what could be the cause of my problem, any ideas? :(
What RPM are your MP case fans running at when in Crysis? Take a look in Everest and list it here...

Fan #1 = PCI (HDD & GPU zone)
Fan #2 = PS (Power Supply)
Fan #3 = Intake
Fan #4 = Exhaust
Fan #5 = BOOSTA (CPU)

In regard to the GTX285, the fan will only ramp up above the stock 40% at 82c. Many experience 85c as typical during Crysis, and most agree running your GPU fan at 80% keeps things cool.

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
I placed the GT120 one place upper in slot three. So there is enough space between the 285 GTX and the GT120.

Here two pictures: The first before playing crysis (desktop - idle), the second one after crysis crashed. Max temperature of the 285 GTX in Crysis was 77° C.

GPU1 is GT120
GPU2 is 285GTX

I'm thinking of a faulty 285 GTX...

Attachments

• Desktop (idle).JPG
    Desktop (idle).JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 138
  • running crysis.JPG
    running crysis.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 159

AppleWorking

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
I placed the GT120 one place upper in slot three. So there is enough space between the 285 GTX and the GT120.

Here two pictures: The first before playing crysis (desktop - idle), the second one after crysis crashed. Max temperature of the 285 GTX in Crysis was 77° C.

GPU1 is GT120
GPU2 is 285GTX

I'm thinking of a faulty 285 GTX...
Sorry I missed your post. Yes, sounds like you have a bad GPU. Take a look at the link below... Good luck.

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
Just to let others know who may will have on day similar problems:

Problem solved by returning the card to Apple. They've sent me a new one and it's working now. Thanks

- GRAPHICS CARD WAS FAULTY

ps. actually pretty funny, because I had a faulty GT120 too with my brand new Mac Pro in August. So now I replaced two graphicscards since I have my Mac Pro ;-) But it's working now...

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
The faulty HFS driver is a valid concern. It seems to happen on many systems.

You find it in Windows/system32/drivers/AppleHFS.sys

Renaming to AppleHFS_disabled.sys will avoid the blue screens until you have found another solution or Apple updates Bootcamp 3.0.

If the system crashes before you can edit the name you can do it in OS X as well if you install NTFS drivers. Paragon has a test driver that will do temporarily.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
after some trouble with Windows 7, I decided to reinstall the hole thing.
I'll thank you to keep your hole to yourself.

Why even dick with Bootcamp? If for whatever reason you're compelled to have a Microsoft environment, get a copy of VMware Fusion and install it as a virtual machine. Hell of a lot easier than partitioning and booting back and forth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.