Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Why even dick with Bootcamp? If for whatever reason you're compelled to have a Microsoft environment, get a copy of VMware Fusion and install it as a virtual machine. Hell of a lot easier than partitioning and booting back and forth.

There are uses for native Windows such as gaming with DirectX or play back ripping and remuxing Blu-Ray. Many video tasks and scientific apps are actually faster in Win-64 because it uses the 64-bit kernel which Apple allows few machines. And for those machines there are fewer high performance apps.

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
I'll thank you to keep your hole to yourself.

Why even dick with Bootcamp? If for whatever reason you're compelled to have a Microsoft environment, get a copy of VMware Fusion and install it as a virtual machine. Hell of a lot easier than partitioning and booting back and forth.

Maybe VMware does't have enough power ?

i7SSD

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Maybe VMware does't have enough power ?

Don't think its to do with vmware not having enough power, it is a virtualisation layer and if you are already running an OS that is already accessing and using the hardware then afaik trying to use the hardware to its full capability will be a bit difficult because you are not directly accessing / using the hardware like you would be if using bootcamp.

Latest version of vmware fusion 3.0 can run and use DX 9 but thats still behind DX 11

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
Don't think its to do with vmware not having enough power, it is a virtualisation layer and if you are already running an OS that is already accessing and using the hardware then afaik trying to use the hardware to its full capability will be a bit difficult because you are not directly accessing / using the hardware like you would be if using bootcamp.

Latest version of vmware fusion 3.0 can run and use DX 9 but thats still behind DX 11

yes,nobody needs DX10/11 in a virtualisation. My answer wans't really a question. The result of my question was pretty the same what u said. VMware had or still has a limitation of power, too. My system could do more than VMware can handle of RAM's etc. . I can't even run games in VMware 2.0 with my system.

seisend

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 20, 2009
Switzerland
So finally to end this thread. There where two problems.

1. Games crashed because of a faulty graphicscard (solved and reported earlier in this thread)
2. Bluescreen with Bootcamp 3.0 and 3.1 did not work because of a harddrive related driver problem. (SOLVED NOW)

And here is how :

I have my OSX installed on three 1TB Caviar Black harddrives in Software RAID 0 . My Windows partition is installed on a separate stock 640GB drive.
So I figured out I had to REMOVE ALL OSX drives for solving the problem.(getting windows 7 64bit with bottcamp 3.0 / 3.1 working without bluescreen). It doesn't matter in which slot I place my Windows Partition harddrive.

Bluescreen error stop code I received by CACHE_MANAGER

STOP: 0x00000034

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Of course you don't want to remove your OSX drives all the time using Bootcamp ;-)

THIS SOLVED THE PROBLEM :

Navigate to c:/windows/systems32/drivers/AppleMNT.sys, rename the AppleMNT.sys file to something like AppleMNT_keep.sys or something of your likings.

The faulty HFS driver is a valid concern.
It seems to happen on many systems.
You find it in Windows/system32/drivers/*AppleHFS.sys*
Renaming to AppleHFS_disabled.sys will avoid the blue screens

-> reboot and it should work !

More information here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2158281&tstart=0

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So if you disable these two files, your external harddrives won't be mountable anymore otherwise in WIN OS.

My 09 Mac Pro works fine with Bootcamp 2.0 and 2.1 drivers.
With the 3.0 and 3.1 drivers I have to disable these two files above.

I hope this will clear out things for some other Mac Pro users.

Attachments

• Unbenannt-1.jpg
    Unbenannt-1.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 88

Tastannin

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2003
UT
Thanks for the information! I was scratching my head, trying to figure out why my 2008 Mac Pro wasn't letting me work in Windows 7. I had the exact same BSOD about 30 seconds after booting into Win 7. Things had worked just fine before. Of course I forgot that I had set up a new software RAID under Mac OS X.

After applying the fixes above, everything works just fine. Thanks for the post!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I always use the latest from the nvidia website on my MP with GTX285 mac edition win 7 64bit. never had a issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.