Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerpow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
London
For the first time in many years, I'm actually considering a non-Apple computer. Price-point is about £800-1000.

That won't be enough for a retina display so its pretty hard not to look at the new crop of Ultrabooks that have touch-screen, HDD & SSD combo and better better CPU/more RAM.

Is there really any reason to look at Apple at the moment? I'm amazed that touch-screen hasn't made it to their notebook stable yet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is there really any reason to look at Apple at the moment? I'm amazed that touch-screen hasn't made it to their notebook stable yet.
Sure, if you prefer OSX over windows 8.

I'm not sold on a laptop that has a touch screen. Ergonomically I can see it not being very comfortable and incurring fatgiue pretty quickly when using it the touchscreen.

If you have apps that are windows based, or like the platform then go with the windows machine.

I like what apple has to offer in the MBA and MBP lines and the MBA is still outselling all other ultrabooks for a reason - its a great laptop. Get the platform that best suites your needs and from my perspective and requirements that's apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.