Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
It's called personal preference. For me, a 4 inch screen is way to small for every day use. ESPECIALLY one handed. Typing is cramped in portrait mode. So for me, the 4.7 inch screen on my Nexus 4 is perfect. It fits beautifully in the hand and one handed use is a breeze. But that's just ME.

I also love how before the iPhone 5 came out, people were like

"3.5 inch screens are perfect. 4 is too big."

now

"4 inch screens are perfect. Anything bigger is too big"

Use what works for you. If you have tiny hands or feel that screens that are a 1/2 inch larger are too uncomfortable, choose what you like based on your needs.
This is true, but there is also an indicator of trends and clearly a larger form factor is winning out.

I have nothing against anyone who loves a minuscule screen, if that suits you then more power to you. However, it's very difficult for me to fathom how people can be so blindly loyal to one company, i.e. Apple, that they refuse to see that there is something better.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I didnt have time to read the thread, but I know just what he means by the title.

I have the galaxy Note 2, and just love the small screen on it, its the perfect size. I went and looked at the nexus 7 and it was just to big to fit comfortably in my jeans. I am so happy with the small 5.5 inch screen of the note 2. I think just like the rest of you that its the perfect size for a phone. :D:cool:

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I didnt have time to read the thread, but I know just what he means by the title.

I have the galaxy Note 2, and just love the small screen on it, its the perfect size. I went and looked at the nexus 7 and it was just to big to fit comfortably in my jeans. I am so happy with the small 5.5 inch screen of the note 2. I think just like the rest of you that its the perfect size for a phone. :D:cool:

:rolleyes: small screen? Yeah, it looks like you're holding a small television up to your head when talking on the phone.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
:rolleyes: small screen? Yeah, it looks like you're holding a small television up to your head when talking on the phone.
This is just ignorant...it looks like a phone. Like what you like, that's your prerogative, but for goodness sakes can we stop with the "it looks like a tv next to your head" and the "my hand is too tiny for the phone" bogus arguments??

If you don't like the larger screens, just say it like it is and tell the truth...and the truth is, you are stuck under contract with your miniature iPhone and you can't get your hands on a Galaxy Note 2 or GS3 for a reasonable price.

The truth will set you free, trust me!!

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
That's just ignorant, it looks like a tablet. :rolleyes:

This is just ignorant...it looks like a phone. Like what you like, that's your prerogative, but for goodness sakes can we stop with the "it looks like a tv next to your head" and the "my hand is too tiny for the phone" bogus arguments??

If you don't like the larger screens, just say it like it is and tell the truth...and the truth is, you are stuck under contract with your miniature iPhone and you can't get your hands on a Galaxy Note 2 or GS3 for a reasonable price.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Yes. You are the only one.

Anyone who tells you that they don't want a bigger screen hasn't used a phone with a bigger screen.

It's really that simple. Go use a GS3 for two weeks and you will never make the "I want a small screen" statement ever again.

----------

I would slightly amend my above comment to say that if you still prefer a smaller screen after using a GS3 or a Note 2, then you don't need a smartphone and should probably just get a flip phone.

If you have an iPad (Mini; Or Nexus 10 or Galaxy Tab or whatever) with you, what are supposed to to with an GS3 or Note II?

We who carry iPads prefer an iPhone Mini to, you know, make phone calls and tether the iPad to it. As long as it does LTE tethering, it could even look like this:
41ZmaeawJvL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

If you carry both, the iPhone is overkill and the GS3 and Note II are too small. Dropping the smartphone for a random $30 Nokia and a tablet with cellular data seems the way to go, not bigger and always bigger screens on phones.

Last edited:

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands

Right. So we can't call the Note huge, but it's okay to call the iphone miniscule and miniature.

okey dokey :rolleyes:

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
It seems to be the trend here.

I don't wear ghetto pants with huge pockets and I don't carry a purse, so the Note 2 is not an option.;)

For people who wear pants that actually fit, the note is not an option, no.

I also wonder what's with this 'truth' thing. This is the second time I see a droid fan on here bring it up. Almost like Samsung's stuff is some kind of cult or religion.

Next thing you know they start calling the company Sammy or something.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
For people who wear pants that actually fit, the note is not an option, no.

I also wonder what's with this 'truth' thing. This is the second time I see a droid fan on here bring it up. Almost like Samsung's stuff is some kind of cult or religion.

Next thing you know they start calling the company Sammy or something.
Actually, I'm an Apple fan...owned every iPhone and currently own an iPhone 5 and Note 2 for business. Company pays for my Note 2, so I'm speaking 100% objectively when I say that there is no comparison between the two phones, the Note 2 is FAR superior. It has nothing to do with what you are a fan of, it's just fact.

From 2007 til about 2010 or 2011, I would have said, without question, that the iPhone was the best device available, but in 2013 that is simply not true anymore. You can deny it all you like (and go ahead if it makes you feel better), but it won't change the reality of the industry.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Actually, I'm an Apple fan...owned every iPhone and currently own an iPhone 5 and Note 2 for business. Company pays for my Note 2, so I'm speaking 100% objectively when I say that there is no comparison between the two phones, the Note 2 is FAR superior. It has nothing to do with what you are a fan of, it's just fact.

From 2007 til about 2010 or 2011, I would have said, without question, that the iPhone was the best device available, but in 2013 that is simply not true anymore. You can deny it all you like (and go ahead if it makes you feel better), but it won't change the reality of the industry.

If you go see your eye doctor you might not need the phablet anymore.

macnoodle

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013

What a load of excrement!

I'm out of contract, and buy my devices outright. After the iPhone 5 came out and I needed to upgrade from my iPhone 3Gs, I bought an iPhone 4s instead. Two reasons:

1) Smaller overall, and
2) Cheaper.

Reason #1 was the more important to me though. I am aware that there are other, larger phones out there, but I am just not interested. A phone is always going to be a compromise when used as an Internet device (a phone screen will never be an ideal size for Internet browsing), so why compromise on portability?

My phone has to be extremely portable first, so I can always have it with me. As long as I can access the Internet on it, I am prepared to accept some compromises regarding screen size. For anything more while I'm on the road, I have my iPad mini, iPad, or laptop.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Am I the only one that doesn't want a larger screen? I wasn't even in favor for the larger iPhone 5 screen but glad they didn't make it wider.

The big phones look ridiculous on you when you are on the phone and you need two hands to type. I do value the one hand use. Putting them in your pocket is annoying too and I'm a taller guy. Larger screen means less battery life as well.

If I want a larger screen I use a tablet or computer, I want my phone to be extremely portable and long lasting.

It doesn't necessarily mean less battery life, as when the screen is bigger the whole body of the phone is subsequently bigger, meaning there is room for a bigger battery. In fact, having a bigger screen might even allow for a better battery - The NoteII has a massive screen, and the battery life on that is regarded as excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.