Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
So, I just installed Carbon Copy Cloner 3.4.7 wich according to the link below, is not supported in Snow Leopard or Lion/Mountain Lion

http://www.bombich.com/download.html

However, I am running Snow Leopard and the app isntalled fine...also, I heard this was the version available during Mountain Lion and that the latest version came out after 10.8.

So, will CCC 3.4.7 work with moutnain lion?

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Why don't you just install the correct version for Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion - which is CCC 3.5.2

It's here:

http://files.bombich.com/ccc-3.5.2.zip

It should be fine though, If I recall correctly CCC just calls Mac OS X command line utilities. However you might miss out on things like the recovery partition being created, as these weren't around when 3.4.7 came out.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
3.4.7 will work with ML provided you are only cloning the boot volume, it will not handle the recovery partition.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"will CCC 3.4.7 work with moutnain lion?"

CCC 3.4.7 will properly copy a volume with Mountain Lion on it -- SO LONG AS you are running version 3.4.7 from a boot volume OTHER THAN ML.

Thus, you can boot in Snow Leopard, and use CCC 3.4.7 to clone a volume that has ML on it.

HOWEVER -- you cannot LAUNCH CCC 3.4.7 from a Mountain Lion volume. CCC checks which OS is running, and the old version will not run and tell you that you need the _newer_ version, 3.5.2.

You _can_ use version 3.5.2 free for 30 days. After that, it may not run any longer. However, if you completely remove all traces of CCC from your drive, then re-download it, it may give you an additional 30 days of usage….

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If you just need to use it once to clone a drive, the newest 3.5 version has a 30 day trial. You could just use it and delete afterward.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
thanks for the replies. I decided then not to go with CCC, I will continue with simply Time Machine

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
3.4.7 will work with ML provided you are only cloning the boot volume, it will not handle the recovery partition.
Do you have a link to that information? One of the advantages of CCC over SuperDuper is that CCC does clone the recovery partition. I haven't seen any reference to the contrary.

Can I continue using the older version that is "donationware"?

Yes, absolutely. If you are currently using CCC and have not donated in the past, you are welcome to continue using any version up to and including 3.4.7 as long as you like without purchasing a license. Note, however, that previous versions of CCC are not qualified against Mountain Lion and we are no longer developing older versions of CCC.
From: Carbon Copy Cloner's Transition to a Commercial Product: Frequently Asked Questions
Starting with version 3.4.4, Carbon Copy Cloner offers complete support for archiving, cloning, and recreating Lion's Recovery HD volume.
From: Will CCC clone the "Recovery HD" partition on Lion?

Last edited:

retroneo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
Just use Disk Utility's restore tab for cloning to another disk - it creates the recovery partition automatically.

You can also use Disk Utility to copy a partition to a disk image.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just use Disk Utility's restore tab for cloning to another disk - it creates the recovery partition automatically.

You can also use Disk Utility to copy a partition to a disk image.
Yes, you can, except Disk Utility can't make a bootable clone of the drive you're currently booted from, and it can't do incremental backups. CCC is much simpler, doesn't require rebooting twice to accomplish a backup, backs up the recovery partition, can automate backups on a schedule and is quite stable.

bombich

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
CCC 3.4.7 isn't supported on Mountain Lion because we've never tested it on Mountain Lion. Does it "work" on Mountain Lion isn't really the right question to ask. I could launch the very original 1.0 version of CCC (developed in 2002) all the way up to Snow Leopard. You could choose a source and destination and click the Clone button and it would chug right along. Does this mean it's "working"? Apple makes huge changes to the operating system with every iteration, and the filesystem is not off limits to these changes. With every release of Mac OS X, we have to spend countless hours testing any particular version of CCC against the new changes to make sure that we're properly supporting new filesystem and OS functionality.

3.4.7 was deliberately not tested with Mountain Lion because we just don't have the time to test both the older version and the newer version. Apple doesn't look backwards, and their new "we'll deliver a new OS every year or die" approach only exacerbates our work load. Roughly half of my year involves learning what's new in the next OS and redesigning CCC to meet those needs. We not only have to meet those challenges, we also have incredible pressure to meet them on day 1 of the OS release (in reality, folks with pre-release access are yet more demanding).

Mike (author of CCC)

AlamK

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2013
CCC 3.4.7 isn't supported on Mountain Lion because we've never tested it on Mountain Lion...

3.4.7 was deliberately not tested with Mountain Lion because we just don't have the time to test both the older version and the newer version. Apple doesn't look backwards, and their new "we'll deliver a new OS every year or die" approach only exacerbates our work load. Roughly half of my year involves learning what's new in the next OS and redesigning CCC to meet those needs...

Mike (author of CCC)

Hello, Mike -

I am one of the older and very satisfied beneficiary as well as a supporter of your exceptional quality work, thank you.

Now that the CCC has a real price, I am trying to find out that by paying $40 for it today, how long can I expect to receive updates without additional payments? As you noted about Apple's tendencies, a newer version of OS will come along soon enough which will break a few things. I asked the same question on the official sale site and never got a straight answer: the answers varied from "we are not working on a newer version" to "last time we didn't charge our previous buyers". While both answers may be technically true, they do not clearly answer my very simple question. When I saw your post, I thought I will tak advantage of it and hopefully get a straight forward answer. :)

Do please keep keep up the good work, some of us will always support it - a quality product or service is definitely worth paying.

rasputin666

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2009
Hello, Mike -

I am one of the older and very satisfied beneficiary as well as a supporter of your exceptional quality work, thank you.

Now that the CCC has a real price, I am trying to find out that by paying $40 for it today, how long can I expect to receive updates without additional payments? As you noted about Apple's tendencies, a newer version of OS will come along soon enough which will break a few things. I asked the same question on the official sale site and never got a straight answer: the answers varied from "we are not working on a newer version" to "last time we didn't charge our previous buyers". While both answers may be technically true, they do not clearly answer my very simple question. When I saw your post, I thought I will tak advantage of it and hopefully get a straight forward answer. :)

Do please keep keep up the good work, some of us will always support it - a quality product or service is definitely worth paying.

I agree with post above, I do not mind and will always pay for what i find valuable. HOWEVER, CCC is great but at $40? at $20 i'm buying and smiling, I'm sorry but $40 makes it a different conversation. Especially when i read that the $40 keeps you in the parent version 4.1, 4.2 whatever the level is but at 5.0, boom upgrade price [probably at the $20 bucks]. Again, sorry. $40 then $20 every 12-18 months? Again, love CCC and builder should make money, but $0 to $40 with upgrade pricing after? steep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.