Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
More and more every day. My laptop has become 'home base' and my iPad has become my mobile computing platform. I still use a desktop for heavy duty tasks.

But for example, going to conferences, classes, meetings, etc. I'll bring my iPad to take notes, etc. I'll set up my laptop in the hotel room and it'll stay there the entire conference. I still can't quite do without a full featured OS, but I see no reason to lug around a laptop when I have a 10 hour-of-battery machine that can do everything I actually do in those situations (take notes, browse the web, check facebook, etc.)

When giving talks I read notes off of it, I rarely print anything anymore. It's also my eReader of choice just because of the compatibility. I have a first gen iPad, I'd like to get one of the newer ones but for right now, it's pretty incredible.

Amazingly, my Windoze machine required lots of additional software to view Canon RAW files out of my camera, but my iPad does it out of the box. It's also a great way to review images using the camera connection kit. I also use it as a tethered shooting platform for my DSLR using a camera remote app (though that still requires my camera to be physically plugged in to my macbook).

I find more uses for it every day. Some have given up the personal computer for the iPad, and I understand how. I am not ready to do that, probably never will be, but it has definitely replaced a lot of computing needs for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.