Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I couldn't find anywhere that this model has been successfully flashed. Do you know if it works for a fact?
edit: my apologies - I found out elsewhere that someone has successfully flashed this model but only tested on a 1.1 (no boot screens)

Well at the very least you know his card wasn't bricked, so you can flash yours to see if you get the boot screens or not. So far this ROM image has proven to work on an extremely wide range of cards.

avkdm

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Well at the very least you know his card wasn't bricked, so you can flash yours to see if you get the boot screens or not. So far this ROM image has proven to work on an extremely wide range of cards.

Thanks, I've got a Galaxy gtx680 2gb on the way - reference design. could have got the 4gb oc version, but call me chicken, I wanted 2x6 pin design instead to be safe. I will do the flash soon and let you guys know if it works OK on Mp 5,1
Hopefully we can add another card to the collection.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Thanks, I've got a Galaxy gtx680 2gb on the way - reference design. could have got the 4gb oc version, but call me chicken, I wanted 2x6 pin design instead to be safe. I will do the flash soon and let you guys know if it works OK on Mp 5,1
Hopefully we can add another card to the collection.

Ok, chicken. :D

Be sure to use the 2GB ROM image. The ROM in this thread is for the 4GB card and they are different. I assume you know this already, but I mention it just in case.

avkdm

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Thanks guys, I realised I need the 2gb rom version, which is this rom I believe
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17132316/
- thanks to ActionableMango for letting me know, also Thanks MacVidCards for pointing out that all outputs will work, makes me feel better about the decision, anyhow the 4gb version I could have bought just dropped his price to $20 lower than the 2gb version, C'est La Vie.......
However Im still happy :) Will post back next week when I receive the card.

Last edited:

avkdm

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
The good news is by using the 2GB card you will have all 4 ports working.

The 4gb imagine in this thread loses a DVI port.

Hi Guys,
Got a bit of a curly one for you. Nobody calls me chicken :) so I ended up getting this card as I couldn't pass up how cheap it was going for.
http://www.galaxytech.com/__EN_GB__...isStop=0&isPack=False&isPow=False&isSSD=False

Trouble is trying to boot into Windows(bootcamp) it tells me before booting to desktop to shutdown my computer and connect the pcie power cables. after reading thoroughly through these forums I thought this card would boot with just 2x6pin without problems.
It also won't boot into OSX. the card is 4gb and factory OC. Obviously I had the Nvidia web driver loaded before trying to boot into OSX.
Anyhow I put the card into my real PC , with a beefy PSU connected with 1x8 and 1x6 and it booted to desktop straight away.
Has anyone had the " please connect the pcie power cable" message before?
I would like to flash this card, which I can do on my "real" pc, but I don't want to brick it.
Do you think this is just the bios(rom) telling me it wants an 8 pin connector, do you think if I flash with the EVGA Mac BIOS I should be Ok with the 2x6 after that?
Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited:

avkdm

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
Sometimes the sense pins are active.

If it says it wants the 8 pin, connect it.

Have you flashed cards that want 8 +6 pin then only needed 2x6 pin to power after flashing without any other modifications?
To confirm this - is this just the cards BIOS asking for more juice, or is this hardware related?
Edit: Looks like the Galaxy 4gb GC Version is a custom design PCB with custom power and cooler so it's non reference- looks like I'm outta luck!
Successfully flashed a 2gb Reference Version of this card however.

Last edited:

svavaroe

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
I have a EVGA GTX680 4GB card that has the following part nr : 04G-P4-3687-KR.
Flashed it with the 4GB rom at the first page on this thread. Installed it into a MacPro5,1(yosemite 10.10.2) and connected
it to the 2x 6pin PCIe connectors.
I don't get any screens but I assume it goes into a reboot loop as soon as the login screen comes up.

Anyone else experience as reboot loop ?

Thanks all.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I have a EVGA GTX680 4GB card that has the following part nr : 04G-P4-3687-KR.
Flashed it with the 4GB rom at the first page on this thread. Installed it into a MacPro5,1(yosemite 10.10.2) and connected
it to the 2x 6pin PCIe connectors.
I don't get any screens but I assume it goes into a reboot loop as soon as the login screen comes up.

Anyone else experience as reboot loop ?

Thanks all.

I don't understand.

Why are you assuming it's in a reboot loop if you don't see anything?

If it is the classified model it needs 8 pins

svavaroe

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
I can hear the "tick" when the MacPro reboot it self.

And what I have read there should be enough to hook up 2x 6pins, tho the card has one 8pin and one 6pin.

philliplakis

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2014
AUS
I can hear the "tick" when the MacPro reboot it self.

And what I have read there should be enough to hook up 2x 6pins, tho the card has one 8pin and one 6pin.

Just because it fits inside the power envelope of the Mac doesn't mean it doesn't require you to hook up the 8-pin.

The card it self will cause boot issues if it doesn't sence there is the correct connections

svavaroe

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
Just because it fits inside the power envelope of the Mac doesn't mean it doesn't require you to hook up the 8-pin.

The card it self will cause boot issues if it doesn't sence there is the correct connections

That is the card, however plenty of other 4GB cards seem to work as stated by others in this thread.

That card has one 6-pin and one 8-pin connector. I connected one 6-pin cable directly to each connector.

Yes, I used the MAC ROM in the thread. No extra PSU needed. Boot screen, yes.

As Dr Stealth posted already, the MAC ROM in this thread has reference clock rates. He used Kepler BIOS Tweaker to copy the FTW ROM values over the reference values in the MAC ROM. I ran at the reference rates for a while just to make sure everything was working, then I followed his footsteps and did the same.

So to answer your last question, yes full FTW clock rates, but that requires the extra step of using Kepler BIOS Tweaker.

I only changed the values to match on the common tab. Should I be doing something with the boost table too? I could take a look tonight and report back if there is something you want to see.

This fellow succeeded by plugging only 2x 6pins. So that was my motive to try. And he also has the same card as I have. I haven't tried the 6to8 pin convertor tho.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

It works fine with my card. The 8-pin port is specifically designed to physically accept a 6-pin power connector. Also, if you look at the pinout for the 8-pin connector, you'll see that there is a sense pin which "tells" the video card whether 75W 6-pin is hooked up or 150W 8-pin. In practice, with this card, it works perfectly. Other cards with more power requirements probably won't work.

This fellow succeeded by plugging only 2x 6pins. So that was my motive to try. And he also has the same card as I have. I haven't tried the 6to8 pin convertor tho.

The 6-pin power cord plugs directly into the 8-pin port and works fine, but I have an eVGA "FTW" edition and you have a Classified. I do not know if they are substantially different. In any case, the ROM in this thread uses clock rates and voltage settings for the base model, so "FTW", "Classified", etc. advantages in the ROM are lost unless you use Kepler Tweaker to set them back.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
As I already mentioned, if it is classified model, it needs all 8 pins populated.

If it is NOT the classified model than you have another problem.

I never got answer as to whether it is or not.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I looked up (04G-P4-3687-KR), it's FTW, not Classified. In fact, exact same model number I have. 2x6-pin works fine.

svavaroe

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
Sorry, the card is FTW and NOT Classified.

I think the card is bricked and has always been.

after flashing it with the ROM on the first page, tried another MP. MacPro3,1.
I got EFI screen (verbose) but then the screens get blank and after 1min or so the "ERRB" LED on the MacPro mothearboard
lids.

Same thing goes with the original ROM, no boot screen which is normal but the ERRB leds goes on.

Same story when I use it in a PC with Windows 7/8. Windows 7 Boot screens, but when it tries to load the
GUI the screen goes blank. Tho there is a signal on the monitor, but screen is black.

Need to invest in a new card.

Thanks for all your help/support.

Solomon N.

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
flashed Zotac gtx 680 4GB - lag with openGL

Hello there,

any Zotac gtx 680 4GB owner around?

I own this card and I flashed it correctly, but I'm experiencing problems in the OpenGL department.
I'm experiencing extreme lag in the editor window of apps that use OpenGL (for instance, Cinema 4D with opengl checked)

So far I've made a couple of hardware tests:

1. I've replaced the Zotac 680 4gb with a lower specs gtx 470, and the apps using opengl are now responsive as normal.
  2. In order to see if it was a bootcamp related problem, I connected my zotac 680 to a real PC with windows 7 and I can report that the extreme lag is still noticeable.
  3. As a final test I'd like to flash the zotac card back to its original state, but I'm not able to succeed in the operation.
    I open the original.rom with Kepler and press the FLASH button, a command prompt window with some text opens and suddenly closes too fast, I can only read a "WARNING"... Is this happening because I'm trying to flash back to original my card from a new computer?

Aside from this, what do you think guys? Could the flash hack have anyhow compromised the OpenGL capabilities of my card?
Have ever experienced this kind of problem?

cheers,
Solomon

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Either card is bad or the "one size fits all" rom not a good match.

Use "slo mo" on an iPhone to capture what warning is popping up. Likely that you need "-4 -5 -6" added to flash string

Solomon N.

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
Either card is bad or the "one size fits all" rom not a good match.

Use "slo mo" on an iPhone to capture what warning is popping up. Likely that you need "-4 -5 -6" added to flash string

Thanks for the fast reply!

The error log I get when I try to flash my card on a new computer is the following:
WARNING: Firmware image PCI subsystem ID <19DA.1260>
does not match adapter PCI Subsystem ID <3842.2686>

ERROR: Pci subsystem ID mismatch

Solomon N.

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
thanks.

Is there any way I can call those parameters from Kepler Bios Tweker?

I guess they're supposed to be used with Nvflash.exe via command line.. but I'm not so practical with it and worried about doing something really wrong hehe

Solomon N.

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
I'll take it as "No, unfortunately there's no way to set those parameters inside Kepler Bios Tweaker".
Guess I'm gonna learn how to launch NVflash from the command line (-:

Thanks a lot for taking some time to answer.
cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.