Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Mar 4, 2015, 04:41 PM   #226
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by avkdm View Post
I couldn't find anywhere that this model has been successfully flashed. Do you know if it works for a fact?
edit: my apologies - I found out elsewhere that someone has successfully flashed this model but only tested on a 1.1 (no boot screens)
Well at the very least you know his card wasn't bricked, so you can flash yours to see if you get the boot screens or not. So far this ROM image has proven to work on an extremely wide range of cards.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2015, 03:04 AM   #227
avkdm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionableMango View Post
Well at the very least you know his card wasn't bricked, so you can flash yours to see if you get the boot screens or not. So far this ROM image has proven to work on an extremely wide range of cards.
Thanks, I've got a Galaxy gtx680 2gb on the way - reference design. could have got the 4gb oc version, but call me chicken, I wanted 2x6 pin design instead to be safe. I will do the flash soon and let you guys know if it works OK on Mp 5,1
Hopefully we can add another card to the collection.
avkdm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2015, 03:11 PM   #228
ActionableMango
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by avkdm View Post
Thanks, I've got a Galaxy gtx680 2gb on the way - reference design. could have got the 4gb oc version, but call me chicken, I wanted 2x6 pin design instead to be safe. I will do the flash soon and let you guys know if it works OK on Mp 5,1
Hopefully we can add another card to the collection.
Ok, chicken.

Be sure to use the 2GB ROM image. The ROM in this thread is for the 4GB card and they are different. I assume you know this already, but I mention it just in case.
ActionableMango is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2015, 04:36 PM   #229
MacVidCards
macrumors 603

The good news is by using the 2GB card you will have all 4 ports working.

The 4gb imagine in this thread loses a DVI port.
MacVidCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2015, 03:26 AM   #230
avkdm
macrumors member

Thanks guys, I realised I need the 2gb rom version, which is this rom I believe
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=111
- thanks to ActionableMango for letting me know, also Thanks MacVidCards for pointing out that all outputs will work, makes me feel better about the decision, anyhow the 4gb version I could have bought just dropped his price to $20 lower than the 2gb version, C'est La Vie.......
However Im still happy Will post back next week when I receive the card.

Last edited by avkdm; Mar 6, 2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 07:56 AM   #231
avkdm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
The good news is by using the 2GB card you will have all 4 ports working.

The 4gb imagine in this thread loses a DVI port.
Hi Guys,
Got a bit of a curly one for you. Nobody calls me chicken so I ended up getting this card as I couldn't pass up how cheap it was going for.
http://www.galaxytech.com/__EN_GB__/...se&isSSD=False

Trouble is trying to boot into Windows(bootcamp) it tells me before booting to desktop to shutdown my computer and connect the pcie power cables. after reading thoroughly through these forums I thought this card would boot with just 2x6pin without problems.
It also won't boot into OSX. the card is 4gb and factory OC. Obviously I had the Nvidia web driver loaded before trying to boot into OSX.
Anyhow I put the card into my real PC , with a beefy PSU connected with 1x8 and 1x6 and it booted to desktop straight away.
Has anyone had the " please connect the pcie power cable" message before?
I would like to flash this card, which I can do on my "real" pc, but I don't want to brick it.
Do you think this is just the bios(rom) telling me it wants an 8 pin connector, do you think if I flash with the EVGA Mac BIOS I should be Ok with the 2x6 after that?
Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited by avkdm; Mar 7, 2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 02:08 PM   #232
MacVidCards
macrumors 603

Sometimes the sense pins are active.

If it says it wants the 8 pin, connect it.
MacVidCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2015, 02:53 PM   #233
avkdm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacVidCards View Post
Sometimes the sense pins are active.

If it says it wants the 8 pin, connect it.
Have you flashed cards that want 8 +6 pin then only needed 2x6 pin to power after flashing without any other modifications?
To confirm this - is this just the cards BIOS asking for more juice, or is this hardware related?
Edit: Looks like the Galaxy 4gb GC Version is a custom design PCB with custom power and cooler so it's non reference- looks like I'm outta luck!
Successfully flashed a 2gb Reference Version of this card however.

Last edited by avkdm; Mar 9, 2015 at 06:12 PM.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro