Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grindhouse

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2021
Thanks for this! I've got a GTX680 4GB Classified on the way, and I already have the 450W aux. power supply for the 2x 8-pin connectors it needs. I've read your thread on fitting the aux power supply and it's the neatest approach I've seen --- I'm gonna copy it :D

It might take me a little while to get it all done, but I'll report back how it works out!

Cheers!
Hey, tell me, which 450W aux. power supply for the 2x 8-pin connectors did you get?

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
Just so you know, you dont need to swap the PSU.

The Mac BOOTROM has lower clockspeed and runs on less power then the original ROM.

You can also alter the clockspeed for the card to any speeds, and it will run with no problem on the Mac Pro within the specific power envelope of the Mac ROM.

I have done this on several overklocked cards, i just adjust in the rom editing software. Its very very easy, you open the original rom and read the boost clock and clock numbers, then just transfer the same numbers to the ROM you like.

And another thing you have to know, when you use the Mac 4Gb ROM for bootscreen. The card will automatically stay inside mac allowed specifications, because this is a Mac ROM, not a PC ROM.

Just to have this said.

Thanks

//GF

JakeSherlock

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2021
Looking for advice on flashing a GTX670 4GB. Looking for Mac Pro 3,1 EFI compatibility. Card we have is a 04g-p4-2673-kr.

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
670 card is not flashable with free floating roms as far as i know it.

680 is best option avalible, if you dont wanna chase down a rom that might originate from MVC.

//GF

Reactions: 00.FCy and Kakirman

Grindhouse

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2021
Is the GTX680 4GB Classified flashable? I know the GTX680 is, but can we use the same ROM image on the Classified?

goodfidelity

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2015
It worked fine for me with 4gb classified.

Remember to back up original rom first!

No peoblem to revert back!

//gf

00.FCy

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
After scouring the web I located a modded rom file for the 4GB version of the card. Its obviously the rom from the 2GB Mac card, same one thats been posted here on Mac Rumors. Version number and date are identical. However its been modified to work with the 4GB card. So I flashed my cards, one at a time to be safe, and low and behold I have my beautiful EFI boot screens back. Didnt really know how much I missed them but so glad to have them back.

At this point theres only one issue. My stock speeds of 1085MHz GPU & 1150MHz Boost have now dropped to 1006MHz GPU & 1059MHz Boost. These are the stock 2GB reference card values. Boooo.

I spent several hours combing through the hex of the rom in an attempt to locate the errant bits. Although familiar with hacking hex its a process that is tedious and can make your head hurt and eyes cross after a few hours. So I took a break and turned to scouring the web again for Nvidia Rom Hacking information. I found on a German web site a wonderful win utility with GUI for editing the clock speeds and several other parameters of the BIOS imbedded in the rom. Kepler BIOS Tweaker v1.25.exe

Heres what I didnt know. Will both the BIOS section and EFI section of the rom need edits to restore my clock speeds? I figure probably yes. This was a Windows utility to edit the BIOS so I thought at best Id have my clock speeds restored in Windows but still have the slower clocks when in OS X.

I did the edit to both cards restoring my clocks to 1085MHz & 1150MHz and wrote the roms back to the cards. Rebooting to windows showed my clocks back to normal. Now booting to OS X was the surprise. The clocks are now back to the higher speeds in OS X as well! So the EFI needs no edit only the BIOS.

These cards are working awesome, full boot screens, full clock speeds & PCI-E 2.0. Just as if you walked in an Apple Store and pulled them off the shelf. (If you could)

Good Stuff..... Enjoy ! ROM and utilities attached below for the adventurous.

The rom is just as I found it with reference card speeds. But you can tweak it with the included utilities.

What a great thread, im here in Brazil in 2021 putting my old Mac Pro 3,1 to run, so, I'm very confused about what energy connection I have to do from my logic board to the card, and if is a better choice buy a external power supply? Im can't buy a new power supply right now, what is the best power cables choice for run the GTX 680 4GB Classified? Thanks at all...

Last edited:

Kakirman

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2020
Istanbul
Ne harika bir iş parçacığı, 2021'de Brezilya'da eski Mac Pro 3,1'imi çalıştırıyorum, bu yüzden mantık kartımdan karta hangi enerji bağlantısını yapmam gerektiği konusunda kafam çok karıştı ve eğer daha iyiyse seçim harici bir güç kaynağı satın alıyor? Şu anda yeni bir güç kaynağı satın alamıyorum, GTX 680 4GB Sınıflandırılmış'ı çalıştırmak için en iyi güç kablosu seçimi nedir? Her şey için teşekkürler
Are you talking about a power connection for the video card? If so, the solution is simple. By the way, what pin is the power socket of your video card?

vinaypundith

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2020
What a great thread, im here in Brazil in 2021 putting my old Mac Pro 3,1 to run, so, I'm very confused about what energy connection I have to do from my logic board to the card, and if is a better choice buy a external power supply? Im can't buy a new power supply right now, what is the best power cables choice for run the GTX 680 4GB Classified? Thanks at all...
I don't know if you already got your answer for this by the time I'm seeing your message now, but the answer is: no you don't need an external power supply. The Mac Pro's 980W built in PSU is plenty good for any single GPU. You will need two power cables to connect the GPU's power connectors to the Mac Pro's PCI power supply lines, which are headers on the motherboard. That is all.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^For older GPUs yes, for some new ones not so much.

TinyGrab Screen Shot 4-30-21, 11.05.34 AM.png

Even some late model GPUs with more than six pins per side.

Lou

Reactions: KeesMacPro

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
An external power supply is not necessary, but the classified draws a lot of power.
IMO the best way is the Pixlas Mod:

If that's not an option, alternatively you could connect 2 mini 6-pin to 8-pin cables to a Evga Powerlink and plug the Powerlink into the GTX680 .

Last edited:

KeesMacPro

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2019
Are you talking about a power connection for the video card? If so, the solution is simple.
You will need two power cables to connect the GPU's power connectors to the Mac Pro's PCI power supply lines, which are headers on the motherboard. That is all.
Come on guys,
A lot of words but no helpful information.
I'm convinced the person who asked knows how to connect a cable.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Is there a way to flash a GTX680 in a Mac without using BootCamp? I flashed a GTX680 about five years ago, and I thought I had done it on a PC working from the command line.

I've searched, but to no avail. I'm wondering if I was thinking of flashing an ATI card using Python?

Thanks!

MacDann

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Is there a way to flash a GTX680 in a Mac without using BootCamp? I flashed a GTX680 about five years ago, and I thought I had done it on a PC working from the command line.

I've searched, but to no avail. I'm wondering if I was thinking of flashing an ATI card using Python?

Thanks!

MacDann
Of course you can do it in a Mac without Bootcamp. Any Windows can do, not necessary Bootcamp. If you don't want to use Windows, using Linux LiveUSB / DOS etc would be easier. If you want to flash the card in macOS, then you have to first develop the tool to do so.

In my own experience, simply use Linux LiveUSB is the easiest, and most reliable way to flash graphic card on cMP.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Of course you can do it in a Mac without Bootcamp. Any Windows can do, not necessary Bootcamp. If you don't want to use Windows, using Linux LiveUSB / DOS etc would be easier. If you want to flash the card in macOS, then you have to first develop the tool to do so.

In my own experience, simply use Linux LiveUSB is the easiest, and most reliable way to flash graphic card on cMP.
I suspect this might have been how I did the last one. However, is there a Linux distro of the NVIDIA flash utility? I was thinking I might have done it in FreeDOS.

Thanks!

MacDann

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.