Portal is not an FPS...
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:34 PM   #27
Red Cube
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Portal is not an FPS...
It's close enough. It uses the Source engine, it is first person, and you have a gun, except it shoots portals instead of bullets. The term "FPS" does not specify exactly what the gun(s)/weapons/tools shoot out of their barrel/hole/portal thingy. Or do you want to legally change the term to " FPSATSLOSBRBSGOEDETC, First Person Small Arms That Shoot Lethal Objects Such as Bullets, Rockets, Bolts, Shot, Grenades and Other Explosive Devices, ETC.," though I think it may be too much of a mouthful for some people.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 05:30 AM   #28
jafingi
macrumors 65816

How about Half Life?

HL1 is old school, but HL2 is really really great! One of the best stories in a game IMO.

If you're not going to play HL1, I would suggest you to read a synopsis of the story before playing HL2, as HL2 continues the story, so you might get a little more out of it if you know what happened in HL1

Last edited by jafingi; Aug 7, 2013 at 06:05 AM.
jafingi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 05:44 AM   #29
Macman45
macrumors G5

Crysis is a great FPS, but the jury seems to be out on whether or not it will run on OSX...I don't know if you are bootcamped or not, but if so it's well worth a look.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:43 AM   #30
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Portal is not an FPS...
But is is Rogue-like? Cuz, you know.... rogue-like!
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:30 AM   #31
txa1265
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafingi View Post
How about Half Life?

HL1 is old school, but HL2 is really really great! One of the best stories in a game IMO.

If you're not going to play HL1, I would suggest you to read a synopsis of the story before playing HL2, as HL2 continues the story, so you might get a little more out of it if you know what happened in HL1
Both play great on the Mac OSX through Steam as well!
txa1265 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:57 AM   #32
rampancy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
Descent 1, 2, 3 and 4
There's no such thing as Descent 4, thought a lot of people still long for such a game. Volition did some preliminary pre-production work on Descent 4, according to rumours, but that eventually evolved into what we know as Red Faction (which has nothing to do with Descent except that involves Mars and oppressive monolithic corporations).

GOG has several obscure FPS that are available "natively" for the Mac: Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Blake Stone: Planet Strike, and Rise of the Triad: Dark War. If you want to stretch out the definition a little bit, you could also include Realms of the Haunting, Stonekeep, Shattered Steel, and Ultima Underworld 1+2. If you want to include Windows games that you can play via WINE or Boxer (that haven't yet been mentioned) there's Chaser, Kingpin: Life of Crime, Blood 1+2, IGI 2: Covert Strike, Painkiller, Lands of Lore 1-3, Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death, and Daikatana (which actually isn't as bad as you might think).

Elite Force got an unofficial port of Holomatch from a fork of ioQuake3, while Hexen, Heretic, and Hexen II also got a source port through the Doomsday Project. Descent 1-2 also have a source port but were originally OS 9-only.

Both Elite Force and NOLF had some great sequels, but they've sadly never made the jump to Intel.
rampancy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:00 PM   #33
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cube View Post
I'm not accepting PPC ports. And no, it does not count.

I'm pretty sure Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction is not an FPS.
Thanks for your reply. And I understand your comments. All of the games I listed have been released on OS X or Classic Mac OS. You didn't specify that you didn't want Classic OS games or whatever.

And would it be so hard to say "thank you"? I put a lot of research into that. Not for my benefit, I thought it would help.

Quote:
Portal is not an FPS...
Yes it. It is first person. And you shoot things. You just shoot portals and not bullets. But I see your point though. It's defo not a traditional FPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy View Post
GOG has several obscure FPS that are available "natively" for the Mac: Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Blake Stone: Planet Strike, and Rise of the Triad: Dark War.
I thought they were dos only. Hence why I didn't list them. But if you found a Mac OS port of them then sure add them in.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 06:42 PM   #34
txa1265
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And would it be so hard to say "thank you"? I put a lot of research into that. Not for my benefit, I thought it would help.
I am kind of hoping he is a non-English primary speaker, because otherwise his tone is rather rude and demanding for someone asking for help.

I can see asking people to call out (if they know) what works on Classic vs. OS X vs. Wine/DOSBox ... but aside from that please tell me we aren't going to start an 'is it an FPS' pissing contest!
txa1265 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2013, 02:18 AM   #35
Red Cube
macrumors member

Quote:
How about Half Life?

I have the whole series, in fact, and it is probably my favorite FPS series of all time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
Crysis is a great FPS, but the jury seems to be out on whether or not it will run on OSX...I don't know if you are bootcamped or not, but if so it's well worth a look.
I looked at it a while back, and there is no way I (or most other people) could run it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampancy View Post
There's no such thing as Descent 4, thought a lot of people still long for such a game. Volition did some preliminary pre-production work on Descent 4, according to rumours, but that eventually evolved into what we know as Red Faction (which has nothing to do with Descent except that involves Mars and oppressive monolithic corporations).

GOG has several obscure FPS that are available "natively" for the Mac: Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Blake Stone: Planet Strike, and Rise of the Triad: Dark War. If you want to stretch out the definition a little bit, you could also include Realms of the Haunting, Stonekeep, Shattered Steel, and Ultima Underworld 1+2. If you want to include Windows games that you can play via WINE or Boxer (that haven't yet been mentioned) there's Chaser, Kingpin: Life of Crime, Blood 1+2, IGI 2: Covert Strike, Painkiller, Lands of Lore 1-3, Judge Dredd: Dredd vs. Death, and Daikatana (which actually isn't as bad as you might think).

Elite Force got an unofficial port of Holomatch from a fork of ioQuake3, while Hexen, Heretic, and Hexen II also got a source port through the Doomsday Project. Descent 1-2 also have a source port but were originally OS 9-only.

Both Elite Force and NOLF had some great sequels, but they've sadly never made the jump to Intel.
Thanks for the
Quote:
Thanks for your reply. And I understand your comments. All of the games I listed have been released on OS X or Classic Mac OS. You didn't specify that you didn't want Classic OS games or whatever.

My bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
I am kind of hoping he is a non-English primary speaker
My first language is English, I'm sorry to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
because otherwise his tone is rather rude and demanding for someone asking for help.
Sorry. Most of what I say comes out wrong, which sorta contradicts what I said above.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:32 AM   #36
jafingi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Cube View Post
I have the whole series, in fact, and it is probably my favorite FPS series of all time.
Ohh... I just didn't think so, as it wasn't on your list

FYI, the Half Life series (both 1 and 2) + Counter Strike 1.6 has been released on Mac through Steam. So if you have it on Steam (for Windows), you can also play it on your Mac.

So that could be a great way to play the series again
Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:35 AM   #37
Red Cube
macrumors member

Quote:
Ohh... I just didn't think so, as it wasn't on your list

FYI, the Half Life series (both 1 and 2) + Counter Strike 1.6 has been released on Mac through Steam. So if you have it on Steam (for Windows), you can also play it on your Mac.

So that could be a great way to play the series again
I bought them too
Old Aug 12, 2013, 08:52 AM   #38
Irishman
macrumors 68020

I found this: Rat'z Instagib. It's a free in-browser game like Quake Live, using the Unity engine, and it's just like the name suggests - a pvp instagib game. Looks pretty fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ear0aM1aNPU
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 06:44 AM   #39
Rossatron
macrumors 6502a

max paine 3
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:34 PM   #40
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

World War 2 Online
World War 2 Online - Battle Ground Europe

They are the same thing, the "Battleground Europe" part was marketing ploy for a major European push.

WW2OL is NOT a port, but simultaneous build with PC, and is live MMO (offline play only lets you explore the gigantic world).

Free play available.

12 years and going!
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:19 PM   #41
Confusius
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
Call of Cthulhu Black Ops
Holy dogcow, that would be the FPS to end all FPSes. Activision, Treyarch, are you listening? Please make that. Or Call of Duty: Delta Green.
Confusius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:27 PM   #42
Irishman
macrumors 68020

Shadowgun: Deadzone just dropped for Mac, on the Mac App Store.

It's free!
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:29 AM   #43
Red Cube
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Shadowgun: Deadzone just dropped for Mac, on the Mac App Store.

It's free!
Playing it on my Windows partition, and it is just too fun. All the little noobs (AKA 90% of the playerbase lol) crumple under my wrath

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games