Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhinoevans

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
I loaded Parallels Desktop 8 on my new cMBP today.

Installed without issues. Then Installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Also installed without Issue. Works great, although so far all I have done is use VPN, IE, and some other small programs.

I guess Boot-Camp is less expensive, but I was able to pickup Parallels for $35 when I order extra 16G ram from OWC.

Also nice to be running Windows in OS X, without having to reboot. Probably runs faster the other way, but I will not game in the Windows 7 setup.. That is what I have XBOX for.

Anyways, just thought I would comment.

Intent is to use the MAC 100% and only windows for application that are not MAC compatible.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
fusion user here, works VERY well. lots of VMs for testing stuff, windows server 2008 r2/64, windows 7 ultimate/64, two windows XP / 32 and one gentoo linux with KDE just for kicks :D

love how fusion / OSX handle fullscreen VMs as 'spaces', much nicer to use than workstation on windows (also use that @ work, and the VMs are portable between both just need to copy the virtual disk :cool:)

*Sonic*

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Fusion here too, ran the trial then bought it about a week before it expired as I was more than happy with it

Only using it for Sage at the moment though

One question, are any fusion users using a bootcamp partition as the VM ?

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I prefer Parallels, although more expensive, it has *slightly* better performance (although almost negligible), but many more features that integrate it with Mountain Lion better.

I have a Windows 7 VM linked from my boot camp partition, I have a Windows 8 VM, and a Windows XP VM. All run incredibly well.

You can't go wrong with either though, if you are on a tight budget Fusion is a great option.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Sage...(which one)

Only using it for Sage at the moment though

Hi *Sonic*,

Pardon my naiveté concerning Windows applications, but when you say you only use Fusion for Sage, do you mean Sage as in The Sage Notebook, the web interface to a number of symbolic mathematics programs such a maxima, octave, mathematica, MATLAB, gap, axiom, singular, etc.? If so, then let me inform you that you can get a freeware Sage binary that runs under Mac OS X and thus not have to worry about running Windows just for The Sage Notebook.

If, on the other hand, by Sage you mean some other Windows program, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Switon

*Sonic*

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2012
Hi *Sonic*,

Pardon my naiveté concerning Windows applications, but when you say you only use Fusion for Sage, do you mean Sage as in The Sage Notebook, the web interface to a number of symbolic mathematics programs such a maxima, octave, mathematica, MATLAB, gap, axiom, singular, etc.? If so, then let me inform you that you can get a freeware Sage binary that runs under Mac OS X and thus not have to worry about running Windows just for The Sage Notebook.

If, on the other hand, by Sage you mean some other Windows program, then I apologize for wasting your time.

Switon

Hi Switon,

Sorry I should have elaborated. It is Sage Accounts software I use, sadly they do not do an OSX version, never have and more than likely never will

DeusInvictus7

macrumors 68020
Aug 13, 2008
Kitchener, Ontario
Parallels is my choice. Especially since they gave me Parallels 8 for free as a gift for being part of the beta program.

Haven't tried Fusion, but either way they're both quite good, especially if it's just basic use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.