Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benchmob31

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
West Sacramento, CA
I upgraded my Apple TV last week to the latest update (5.2 is what i believe it says for software version on my apple tv now) and now I cannot access movies, tv shows and music. Netflix works fine. Has anyone else had this issue? I have an 2nd Gen apple tv. Any ideas?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I upgraded my Apple TV last week to the latest update (5.2 is what i believe it says for software version on my apple tv now) and now I cannot access movies, tv shows and music. Netflix works fine. Has anyone else had this issue? I have an 2nd Gen apple tv. Any ideas?

It's working fine for me on the ATV2 and ATV3. Have you tried restarting it? Signing out of your iTunes account and back in?

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
I had to reboot mine twice but once I did that there were no further issues.

I would do what was suggested above. Reboot and then turn off and then sign back in to home sharing.

jcovaltine

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
I'm having the same problem since the update. I narrowed it down to when the ATV 3 goes to sleep when I go to use it again it doesn't reconnect to my homeshare properly. So I just set it to never sleep and it has been working fine since. Hopefully they will fix this problem soon.:mad:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'm having the same problem since the update. I narrowed it down to when the ATV 3 goes to sleep when I go to use it again it doesn't reconnect to my homeshare properly. So I just set it to never sleep and it has been working fine since. Hopefully they will fix this problem soon.:mad:

Well considering that according to this review, the AppleTV only uses about 2wh awake and about 1 in "sleep", you aren't missing a lot by not using the sleep function....

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/apple-tv-3-review-201207292014.htm

Edit: And this article talks about the highest draw is 3wh when decoding video http://www.anandtech.com/show/5687/apple-tv-3-2012-mini-review/2 - so lack of sleep or not you are looking at 1 KWhr per month even without sleep mode.

Benchmob31

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
West Sacramento, CA
Thanks for the great advice. I took my credentials out of iTunes, restarted the Apple TV then added my credentials back and it works perfectly now.

ljonesj

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Kingsport TN
For my apple tv 2 when it does not want to play movies and tv shows. I just unplug the Ethernet cable and plug it back in and it works again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.