Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 23, 2011
"My understanding is if booting off the drive, Thunderbolt is the way to go. Is this accurate? Suggestions as to an enclosure?"

I think you ought to include the latest, fastest USB3 enclosures in your considerations.

They may not offer the "pressing the edge of the envelope" speed that Thunderbolt provides, but the right ones are still VERY fast. In all likelihood, you probably won't notice the difference in day-to-day usage.

Even recent USB3/SATA docking stations are right up there in speed.

Check these:
http://www.barefeats.com/hard161.html

http://fortysomethinggeek.blogspot.com/2012/10/blacx-5g-usb-30-update-fastest-usb-30.html

I guess I will try the docking station, at this point it seems to be the best thing available. :-\

----------

I have a Crucial M4 512GB on a Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter. On eBay I found some new GoFLex "disk enclosures" (the plug-on shell) which hold any 2.5" SATA drive and make for a cleaner appearance with my SSD inside.

You could also buy a hard disk GoFlex Thunderbolt, open the shell and replace the hard disk with your SSD, then sell the HD, use it in another laptop, or put it in a cheap USB-3 case and use it for backup (a single hard disk on Thunderbolt is sort of a waste anyway).

My 512GB SSD on the GoFlex seems to be working fine!

NOTE: This arrangement works great for installing/booting Windows externally as well.

-howard

I just don't want to risk it running a boot drive off it without power, everyone has me freaked out

aplnub

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2008
Here we are in 2014 and the same problem exists. There are not that many TB enclosures on the market. A little nuts.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Here we are in 2014 and the same problem exists. There are not that many TB enclosures on the market. A little nuts.

I've been using the Delock 42490 for a few weeks now and I love it. You can buy it on Amazon US for around $100. It is aluminum, AC-powered, extremely light, compact and quite speedy. It is based on the ASMedia chipset, not Intel and thus the lower prices.

It's best to use a Thunderbolt enclosure for an SSD, because you can enable TRIM over TB but not over USB 3.0

+1 on this sentiment.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
I've been using the Delock 42490 for a few weeks now and I love it. You can buy it on Amazon US for around $100. It is aluminum, AC-powered, extremely light, compact and quite speedy. It is based on the ASMedia chipset, not Intel and thus the lower prices...

Au contraire. The Thunderbolt controller is by Intel. The PCIe to SATA bridge is ASMedia.

Keep your eyes open for refurbished LaCie Rugged Drives with both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. Here are some 1TB ones at MacMall for $119 (vs $199 new):

http://www.macmall.com/p/LaCie-External-Hard-Drives/product~DPNo~9597442~pdp.icbeahb

Pull out the HDD and stick in your own Samsung or Micron/Crucial SSD.

And you get a USB 3.0 interface, too, in addition to the Thunderbolt.

LaCie Outlet has the 256GB SSD refurb for $219:
http://www.lacie.com/us/products/clearance/products/?id=10007

Both come with Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 cables.

No need to get freaked out by bus-power. The power spec is quite tight for Thunderbolt computers and devices. If wall power is important, be sure to look for dual-port devices. The Delock is single-port.

Oh, and the Delock doesn't come with a Thunderbolt cable, so in the end, it's more expensive.

Last edited:

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Au contraire. The Thunderbolt controller is by Intel. The PCIe to SATA bridge is ASMedia.

Touché. I don't claim to be an electrical engineer. I was just referring to the fact on the specifications page at Delock it says:

Specification
• Chipset: Asmedia

Thanks for the correction. My point was that the introduction of these new enclosures using the Asmedia controllers (apparently a division of Asus), has finally allowed the prices to come down somewhat.

Oh, and the Delock doesn't come with a Thunderbolt cable, so in the end, it's more expensive.

It is sold in a package with a Delock Thunderbolt cable here for about $30 more but I just bought a Sumitomo 30cm cable separately (that's all I need) for $20.

----------

No need to get freaked out by bus-power. The power spec is quite tight for Thunderbolt computers and devices. If wall power is important, be sure to look for dual-port devices. The Delock is single-port.

Again, I profess my ignorance on the engineering aspects of Thunderbolt enclosure design. I just wonder why Delock would have added an AC adapter if they didn't think it was necessary. It is very light and compact as previously mentioned, and they also include a carrying case so they are clearly marketing it towards travelers. I assume they would have made it bus-powered if they felt it feasible.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Again, I profess my ignorance on the engineering aspects of Thunderbolt enclosure design. I just wonder why Delock would have added an AC adapter if they didn't think it was necessary. It is very light and compact as previously mentioned, and they also include a carrying case so they are clearly marketing it towards travelers. I assume they would have made it bus-powered if they felt it feasible.

I think the wall power restriction is to insure that the enclosure will work with any available SSD or hard disk drive. The Thunderbolt port only supports 10w of power, which must include all daisy-chained devices and the power consumed by the Thunderbolt cable electronics (notice that the connectors get warm?). Although most users think of SSDs as "low powered" devices, they actually consume relatively large amounts of power ... but for very short periods of time ... as power spikes.

While "bus powered" enclosures sound attractive, I have found them to be somewhat limiting in real-world practice with larger and faster SSD power requirements. There is a reason that most SSD Thunderbolt drives are 256GB or less in capacity or are only available with hard disk drives. I, and others posting here, have had problems with 512GB SSDs in bus-powered enclosures due to high power spikes and apparent device sensitivity to power glitches resulting from those spikes. Hard disks, once spinning, have a pretty constant and low power consumption which seems to work fine in any enclosure. Some of the newer large-capacity SSDs are made with a much lower power technology and seem to work in bus-powered enclosures, but they don't have the high speed performance of devices such as the Samsung 840 Pro and equivalent SSD modules built with older faster technology.

It is unfortunate that the Delock enclosure, being wall powered, doesn't have dual passthrough Thunderbolt ports. The lack of the expansion port is something you will always see on bus-powered enclosures as they can't provide the necessary power for downstream devices ... so they simply eliminate the possibility by having only the single port.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
It is unfortunate that the Delock enclosure, being wall powered, doesn't have dual passthrough Thunderbolt ports. The lack of the expansion port is something you will always see on bus-powered enclosures as they can't provide the necessary power for downstream devices ... so they simply eliminate the possibility by having only the single port.

Thanks for the explanation on the AC power. Now that you've pointed it out, I agree that the lack of a pass-through port is definitely a shame for those seeking to daisy-chain devices. Perhaps it's another reason why the enclosure is relatively cheap in comparison to competing products. At least they didn't cheap out altogether and not use AC at all. I am using a 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD in it.

I still have another Thunderbolt port on my iMac that's just sitting empty at the moment. I realize that everyone's needs there are different though.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
Keep your eyes open for refurbished LaCie Rugged Drives with both USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt.

Pull out the HDD and stick in your own Samsung or Micron/Crucial SSD.

Is it easy to get the HDD out? I thought it wasn't possible to open the Lacie's

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Is it easy to get the HDD out? I thought it wasn't possible to open the Lacie's

The Rugged Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 is quite easy to take apart. That orange rubber wrap around easily comes off - not glued at all. Inside is a metal/plastic case with standard Phillips head screws, concealing a 9.5mm 2.5" SATA drive.

Couldn't be easier.

As for what to put inside?
LaCie has HDD configs up to 2TB, and SSD up to 256GB. I've seen Samsung, Sandisk, Toshiba, and Micron inside. Stay away from anything larger as they typically draw too much power after heavy operation which could lead to data loss. I've got Micron C500 inside mine.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
The Rugged Thunderbolt/USB 3.0 is quite easy to take apart. That orange rubber wrap around easily comes off - not glued at all. Inside is a metal/plastic case with standard Phillips head screws, concealing a 9.5mm 2.5" SATA drive.

Couldn't be easier.
Oh wow, that's awesome! I'm going to get one very soon. Together with a Samsung 840 EVO :)

Thanks!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
......I'm having a heck of a time finding a thunderbolt enclosure, let alone one that's reasonable cost. I am looking on Amazon and only see one by JBird, and it's $300 just for an enclosure (vs $30 for USB 3).....Thanks!
So here we are, 3½ years later, and there are evidently still no reasonably priced single-drive TB enclosures available to hold my Sammy 1TB 850 Pro. When Googling 'ThunderBolt Enclosures', all that shows up is enclosures with a drive already mounted in it, multi-drive Raid enclosures, or el-cheapo USB3 enclosures. I'm not a happy camper! Not even demanding TB2, I'd be happy just with TB1, but nope, can't do apparently.

Going to open up my LaCie TB drive that came with a 5400 HDD, and see if I can mount that 1TB Sammy SSD in there..... Wish me luck.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have been using LaCie "Rugged" Thunderbolt/USB3.0 enclosures which I buy as "reconditioned" with a 1TB hard disk for around $100.

It is easy to slip off the orange "life-boat" and open the case to replace the hard disk with a SSD. You can leave the orange ring off if desired. They are working great for me as external Windows boot drives on my iMacs and as portable library transfer/storage drives since they have both interfaces and can be used with all generations of my Mac computers which have different interfaces available. I repurpose the hard disk removed from the enclosure.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I have been using LaCie "Rugged" Thunderbolt/USB3.0 enclosures which I buy as "reconditioned" with a 1TB hard disk for around $100.

It is easy to slip off the orange "life-boat" and open the case to replace the hard disk with a SSD. You can leave the orange ring off if desired. They are working great for me as external Windows boot drives on my iMacs and as portable library transfer/storage drives since they have both interfaces and can be used with all generations of my Mac computers which have different interfaces available. I repurpose the hard disk removed from the enclosure.
It's good to hear that this actually works. I wasn't sure, some of those interfaces are custom designed, and work only with certain drives.... I will now definitely go ahead as planned, and afterwards stick that 5400 drive (used only a few times) in an el-cheapo USB3 enclosure for back-up purposes. Thanks for the insight! :)

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Thunderbolt certification process will not certify "empty" bus powered chassis.

Buying refurbished LaCie Rugged or similar from others with HDD or SSD inside is only real option.

I have had no issues with any 9mm or 7mm drive in the LaCie Rugged. Watch various internet resellers, as well as eBay. HDD or SSD. For SSD, I've used Toshiba, Micron, SanDisk, and my favorite, Samsung.

Drewski

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere else

Same here. Very happy with it.

20150207_165342.jpg

Hi-tech mounting kit sold separately.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.