Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Please see this:

I am not against a larger device per se, i am against the yearly size increase in Android devices to be the best in the spec sheet wars.

Yeah, i heard what you said - but you asked for YEARLY increases in size, not a new additional model with a larger size.

Ok, fair enough. I did make that statement and that wasn't what I wanted to say.. so that was my bad.. then we are on same page :)... love apple stuff but just want more choices for different size.!!

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
I hate this attitude of "apple won't just make bigger device every nine month.. WHY the hell not? I want along w/ many others, want IOS on amazing 5+ inch screen.. you can have your 4 inch iphone.. what's wrong w/ that? I don't understand what some of you are drinking.. I don't get it
No wonder apple is tanking on their stock values.. Thing to concentrate here is not how much apple made last quarter but rather how much apple could have made more.. do you see the difference?

I am hearing 5+ inch coming w/ 1080 devices this year which is going to be very common. Why the hell would I want to be stuck on 4 inch screen(if I were to upgrade this year) for next 2 years when everyone else will have gorgeous screen of 5+ inch? I want it.. you can have your 4inch screen.

----------

Seriously.. the day of apple doing things because they are the only one who can do right thing is over...

Lmao ok well stick with your 5" phablet phone
And we will stick with our comfortable yet still clear and beautiful 4 inch screens.
Plus i don't feel like going out and buying multiple pairs of new jeans so I could carry around my phone and my iPad mini in my pockets hahah

----------

Why would you buy every iPhone ever made? I've owned exactly two iPhones since Apple has come out with them. Currently on an iPhone 4 and likely will stay with it until it becomes troublesome.

As to iPads I get far more value out of my iPad 3 than my iPhone or MBP for that matter. Even so I don't update every cycle there either. Frankly I work hard for my dollars and spend them carefully. Further I avoid getting emotional about a product.

I've gotten every single one because there's always one new or better thing that makes want to have it hah.
But it's kind of cool now I have an iPhone line up

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Lmao ok well stick with your 5" phablet phone
And we will stick with our comfortable yet still clear and beautiful 4 inch screens.
Plus i don't feel like going out and buying multiple pairs of new jeans so I could carry around my phone and my iPad mini in my pockets hahah

----------

I've gotten every single one because there's always one new or better thing that makes want to have it hah.
But it's kind of cool now I have an iPhone line up

Maybe quit wearing skinny jeans because a 5" device still easily fits in normal jeans pockets.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Maybe quit wearing skinny jeans because a 5" device still easily fits in normal jeans pockets.

lol... yeah..

It also doesn't matter to me since I always carry my phone in my hand or in my man bag which I also carry all my apple product(mba/ipad and all other related cables).

----------

Based on iOS 6, you came up with a conclusion that iOS 7 is going to be disappointing, when the post clearly said the iOS 7 will be revamped? :confused:

I really really want to but really really doubt that ios 7 will be that much of a revamp... It's going to be like from XP to windows 7... Not from windows 7 to windows 8

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Based on iOS 6, you came up with a conclusion that iOS 7 is going to be disappointing, when the post clearly said the iOS 7 will be revamped? :confused:

uhhh?

Orginal post:

"So basically iOS 7 is going to be disappointing with no revamp."

Yes, I'm basing off that if iOS 7 doesn't get a revamp like what everyone is hoping for or that its being moved to iOS 8, people will be disappointed like me.

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
uhhh?

Orginal post:

"So basically iOS 7 is going to be disappointing with no revamp."

Yes, I'm basing off that if iOS 7 doesn't get a revamp like what everyone is hoping for or that its being moved to iOS 8, people will be disappointed like me.

OH! Now I figured.. There was a big IF to the statement!

----------

I really really want to but really really doubt that ios 7 will be that much of a revamp... It's going to be like from XP to windows 7... Not from windows 7 to windows 8

I guess XP to Windows 7 was a huge leap. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope Sir Ive is going crazy revamping the iOS!

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Actually in retrospect Apples current iPhone 5 is an icon after three years of the same basic look. If Apple were to re-use this same shape, size, and material it would re-inforce their confidence in its style.

As we've witnessed there's a tremendous amount of Apple enthusiasts that subscribe to Apples claim that one handed operation is essential. No phone does that better than I Phone 5.

Then finally, to quote the faithful "if you don't like it, buy Android". Now more than ever Android choices are excellent. Now their desire to push people to Android makes sense.

It all makes perfect sense. Especially at a time that Apple stock continues to slump. By playing it safe & not risking change, it will give time to see if recovery is in the cards. With Apples great capability to change as needed, sitting still and watching the competition may be just the boost Apple needs.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
iPhone X

attachment.php

Motion2082

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
3 words - Supply & Demand!

Demand they give it to us now and they will have to supply it otherwise people will be more than happy to buy the S4 when it's released.

Apple should have made iPhone5 like their intended 6. What a waste, now look what they have done. Upset a lot of people

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
What the heck is the "S" gonna stand for if it doesn't mean 5 " Screen?

"speed" lol

----------

3 words - Supply & Demand!

Demand they give it to us now and they will have to supply it otherwise people will be more than happy to buy the S4 when it's released.

Apple should have made iPhone5 like their intended 6. What a waste, now look what they have done. Upset a lot of people

I think with the ever increasing competition from other OS's and companies apple is feeling the heat. yes they are still selling a ton of devices but look how quick they refreshed the ipad and created the mini. Anything is possible with apple and I hope they once again reinvent the phone and not stick to what they have been doing.

----------

Actually in retrospect Apples current iPhone 5 is an icon after three years of the same basic look. If Apple were to re-use this same shape, size, and material it would re-inforce their confidence in its style.

As we've witnessed there's a tremendous amount of Apple enthusiasts that subscribe to Apples claim that one handed operation is essential. No phone does that better than I Phone 5.

Then finally, to quote the faithful "if you don't like it, buy Android". Now more than ever Android choices are excellent. Now their desire to push people to Android makes sense.

It all makes perfect sense. Especially at a time that Apple stock continues to slump. By playing it safe & not risking change, it will give time to see if recovery is in the cards. With Apples great capability to change as needed, sitting still and watching the competition may be just the boost Apple needs.

I think "playing it safe" like you say would actually hurt apple more than help it if nothing more than with the investors. Look how their stock is plummeting and if they wait and just release a 5s when the s4, moto x, and whatever other flagship devices are out there, it could really have the investors lose faith and the stock take even more of a hit than it already is.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
larger screen

Your actually admitting that Apple does not have the know-how to make a smartphone with a larger screen. They should farm this out to Samsung to help them create a 4.8-5 inch screen.:eek:

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Your actually admitting that Apple does not have the know-how to make a smartphone with a larger screen. They should farm this out to Samsung to help them create a 4.8-5 inch screen.:eek:

Nobody said they don't have the "know how" it is more they are just playing the typical apple safe don't try anything radical when they know a minor upgrade will sell and they can save the complete redesign for next years phone.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012

No, developing a larger device is a lot easier than a smaller device.

The minimum size of a device is preset by the size of the stuff that has to be put into the device.
SoC, SIM-card tray, cameras, microphones, loudspeakers, lots of different microcontrollers and battery.

All of these, with the sole exception of the battery, can keep the same size when you put them in a larger device.

A 5" iPhone Plus with the same resolution of the iPhone 5 (at the DPI of the retina iPad) won't need a faster SoC like the A6X, because it only has to push the same number of polygons on the same number of pixels.

It won't need a larger camera or loudspeakers and the SIM tray won't increase in size either.

By increasing the size of the display (and the device itself), the only internal component (apart from the display, but that's a given) that has to be increased in size is the battery, because a larger display requires more power.

But if you increase the size of the display by like 30% and the power requirement of the display is also increased by 30% (which is not exactly true, because the backlight would perhaps need to be redesigned), you got a lot more space for a larger battery.

You can double or triple the size of the battery (because it has only been a small part of the smaller device, but now there's so much more room) and as only the 30% larger display requires more power, you'll end up with a longer lasting battery.

That's exactly why it is so easy for Samsung and other companies to make Android devices with such "good" hardware - because they don't have to cram good hardware in a small package, they just increase the size of the device until their OMFGTROLLOLOL-SoC finally fits.

The engineers at Apple are doing a BETTER job at engineering, because they are aiming for a much more difficult target than Samsung - and so far, they've always succeeded in hitting that target.

Developing a slightly larger iPhone wouldn't be harder - it would be much easier for them.

Now ask Samsung for a smaller Galaxy S and you'll end up with the joke that is the SGS 3 Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.