Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
iOS 4 is OUT! You can upgrade in iTunes, or via manual download from the links below. Then, you can install the new software in iTunes by holding the Alt/Option key (for Mac users) or Shift key (for Windows users) while pressing the "Check for Update" button in iTunes, and selecting the downloaded IPSW from your drive.

I recommend downloading it while it's hot, since Apple's servers will quickly get overloaded with users trying to get the new software.

Direct IPSW Download Links:
iPod touch 2G: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...20100621.tr49t/iPod2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
iPod touch 3G: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...20100621.AzSP9/iPod3,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
iPhone 3G: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...100621.58Yt4/iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
iPhone 3Gs: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...100621.5urG8/iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw
iPhone 4: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...100621,Vfgb5/iPhone3,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Those links are legit. You people are clueless if you don't think its real.

But damn, 579MB for iPhone 4. And Apple makes you download it for every little update.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Apple Releases iOS 4 With Multitasking, iBooks, and More

As expected, Apple today released iOS 4, the company's next-generation operating system for the iPhone and iPod touch. A number of readers are reporting that the update has just gone live, although availability appears to still be rolling out across all users. Those looking for the update can connect their devices to iTunes and click the "Checking for Update" button.

iOS 4 brings over 100 new features, including multitasking, folders, Mail improvements, iBook support and more. The operating system is compatible with iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4, as well as second- and third-generation iPod touch models. Not all features are compatible with all devices, however, with features such as multitasking, custom wallpaper, and Bluetooth keyboard support requiring a minimum of an iPhone 3GS or third-generation iPod touch.

Article Link: Apple Releases iOS 4 With Multitasking, iBooks, and More

bina12834

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
im trying to update to iOS4 on my work computer (not the computer where my phone sync's to...all sync-ing is turned off on this computer) and its telling me that

"updating to iOS4.0 will delete all media including iTunes Store purchases. To preserve your media, apply this update on the computer where you sync music, videos, and photos.

Updating on this computer will only preserve apps, contacts, calendars, tex messages, and other settings. Please do not interrupt the update, which may take an hour or longer to complete."

is this actually true? to me it sounds like ill only lose my music and photos (which im fine with), and that my apps will be fine....am i reading that right?

Kyle23

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
Delaware
My iTunes 9.2 still says 3.1.3 is the current version for my iPhone 3GS.. what can I do? I'm on the east coast in the US.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
The GM has been out for a while, but it has not been downloadable from Apple's public iTunes distribution servers... Apple seems to have set this thing for release at exactly 1PM eastern (10AM pacific), and now it's finally out :)

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
im trying to update to iOS4 on my work computer (not the computer where my phone sync's to...all sync-ing is turned off on this computer) and its telling me that

"updating to iOS4.0 will delete all media including iTunes Store purchases. To preserve your media, apply this update on the computer where you sync music, videos, and photos.

Updating on this computer will only preserve apps, contacts, calendars, tex messages, and other settings. Please do not interrupt the update, which may take an hour or longer to complete."

is this actually true? to me it sounds like ill only lose my music and photos (which im fine with), and that my apps will be fine....am i reading that right?

Correct. You can reload all media once you return back to your main computer.

bina12834

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.