Logitech and ClamCase Teasing First Two 'MFi' Game Controllers - Page 3 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:38 PM   #51
trip1ex
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Curious to see pricepoints and quality.
trip1ex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:31 PM   #52
donutbagel
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post
The Wii U is doing dismal business, but it absolutely isn't doing bad enough to bring the whole company down and force them to be software only. They haven't had successive failures like Sega did.
Besides, I would argue that Nintendo's games have been the problem, not the hardware. I really liked the Wii as a console except for the fact that you needed a Wiimote to navigate the menus and the lack of HD output. The Wii had a lot versatility, able to use some cool apps and play all GC games and many classics using a GC controller (but no GoldenEye ). And, unlike the Xbox 360, it didn't die all the time. Nintendo consoles always seem to be super reliable. The motion controls were often terrible to use, but not every game had to use them... but almost every game exclusively did. Trying to play Super Mario Bros Wii with a **** Wiimote is one frustrating experience.

But I didn't like most of the games (especially Zelda and Super Smash Bros) for it, so I never got one. The Wii U is even worse game-wise. Come on, it has basically no games yet!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillwall View Post
There's no way the Wii U is profitable though, unless they spent nothing developing it, which wouldn't be much of a surprise considering they didn't even put the work into it to make it a real next gen console upgrade from the wii.
Very sad as Nintendo fan that I heard about the new Nintendo console and didn't care at all about it. I've never even seen a Wii U. I remember when I had the GameCube (still have it) and was so excited for the Wii before it came out, but I never bought one.

And I remember the DS Lite. Man, that was THE thing to have back then! So ahead of the curve. I never had one but played my friends' DS Lites a lot. And now the 2DS came out, and it looks like a piece of junk.
donutbagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:31 PM   #53
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68000
 
Liquorpuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: City of Angels
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
And how much is an iPhone or iPad then? Or even an iPod Touch? Apple accessories are already scaled from dirt cheap to ludicrously expensive. Plus these controllers would no doubt have bluetooth in then, and also controllers can cost anyway, like Playstation or Xbox ones.
Pricepoint of hardware doesn't bother me. Value disparity between hardware & software on iOS does

People here insist Apple is gonna kill Nintendo but in the same breath talk about how they'd pay big $$$ for Nintendo to stick their IP on their iDevice. Says a lot about the quality of IP on iOS.

Playstation and XBox owners don't go on about how badly they want Mario on their platforms
__________________
Ableton 9 on a Surface Pro 2, APC40, Audiobox, Yamaha KX8, Roland V-Drums HD1 + Octapad, K-Pro, Rode NT1A, MPC1000, EWI, 1200-MK5, 06-Pro
Liquorpuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:37 PM   #54
donutbagel
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycooke View Post
Mario and Pokemon for iOS please
http://emu4ios.weebly.com has some emulators that you don't need to jailbreak to install, and they work well!
donutbagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:45 PM   #55
Zeov
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Odense
maybe gaming can actually be a thing on iOS. Right now it sucks BIG TIME.. if you want to play any games other than angry birds style games.

touch is horrible for gaming.. been wanting this for a long time !
__________________
iMac 27 Basemodel MacBook Air "13 Ultimate Macbook Pro "13 iPad iPhone 4
Zeov is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:06 PM   #56
Solomani
macrumors 65816
 
Solomani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Success of these things... will depend on the right price-point.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:09 PM   #57
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a
 
ReanimationN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Australia
I really hope this doesn't harm Nintendo's handheld business- it's their true stronghold.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.6GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, 512GB HD, Windows 8 x64. iPad Air 64GB. 2013 Google Nexus 7 32GB. iPhone 5 32GB.
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:25 PM   #58
cclloyd
macrumors 68000
 
cclloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alpha Centauri A
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash84x View Post
I can't tell from the video, but I hope there is room to feed the lightning cable so that you can charge while playing! This looks awesome! Now imagine this as your controller for games played on the AppleTV... Wii U what?
I was thinking in a way that it plugged into the controller for instant response time and there was another lightning input on the controller to charge.
__________________
iPhone 5 Sprint w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
iPad mini Retina w/ iOS 7.0.4 Jailbroken
MacBook Pro Retina Early 2013
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:51 PM   #59
neoelectronaut
macrumors 68020
 
neoelectronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southeastern Louisiana
Now if we can just get some decent games on iOS we'll be in business.
neoelectronaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:57 PM   #60
Tzuten
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabacus View Post
This!!! An ipad with 10 hour battery life and an xbox type controller would be awesome. I remember lugging my nintendo to friends houses when I was a kid. This would be amazing for multiplayer games.

With the new A7X (I imagine) in the Ipad 5 we could great gaming experiences. This could be a game changer! (pun?)
10 hour battery life while playing games? Nope.. But yah, it will be cool.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post
The Wii U is doing dismal business, but it absolutely isn't doing bad enough to bring the whole company down and force them to be software only. They haven't had successive failures like Sega did.
Their incoming has been slowly eroding. It's not just the hardware anymore, it's the software. Nintedo, and a lot of Japanese gave developers, are no longer innovative and putting out good games.

They keep milking established IPs..
Tzuten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:12 AM   #61
Tech198
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Australia, Perth
The first one looks like a cross between a swiff-army knife and a phone.

These add-ons, i like it

I wouldn't use it, but i like it.
__________________
13" MBP-R, i5, 256Gig SDD, 8 Gig Ram, Apple TV (3rd-Gen.), iPhone 5S 16Gig, iPad (4th-Gen.) 16Gig, Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7, 1TB HD

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."
Tech198 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:48 AM   #62
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzuten View Post
10 hour battery life while playing games? Nope.. But yah, it will be cool.

----------



Their incoming has been slowly eroding. It's not just the hardware anymore, it's the software. Nintedo, and a lot of Japanese gave developers, are no longer innovative and putting out good games.

They keep milking established IPs..

Nintendo's IPs are still top-notch, however. The best fighting game on the market? Smash Bros. Best racing game? Mario Kart. The two Mario Galaxy games are some of the best games on the market, and the recent 3DS Luigi's Mansion game was brilliant. The issue isn't the quality of the software....it's the scarcity of first party software compounded with the lack of third party support.

In addition, I think Nintendo is proving that touch screen platforming, for a major console, simply is not that attractive.
Bill Killer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 03:57 AM   #63
Harrycooke
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London/New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutbagel View Post
http://emu4ios.weebly.com has some emulators that you don't need to jailbreak to install, and they work well!
Thanks! I'll give them a try!
Harrycooke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:10 AM   #64
Sol
macrumors 65832
 
Sol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Australia
Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
I really hope this doesn't harm Nintendo's handheld business- it's their true stronghold.
It would be a good wake-up call for a company that has given up on offering high-end graphics on their platforms like the competition does.
__________________
DOWN WITH BIG BROTHER
Sol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:42 AM   #65
apolloa
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
Pricepoint of hardware doesn't bother me. Value disparity between hardware & software on iOS does

People here insist Apple is gonna kill Nintendo but in the same breath talk about how they'd pay big $$$ for Nintendo to stick their IP on their iDevice. Says a lot about the quality of IP on iOS.

Playstation and XBox owners don't go on about how badly they want Mario on their platforms
I see, so you think because iOS games are cheap, so should the games controllers? I guess but I think that's a bit of a dream, they'll milk the price.

As for Apple is going to kill Nintendo and everyone else and dominate the front room, I agree because I laugh everytime I read that! It was even Apple who admitted the Apple TV was a 'hobby' I believe, because the sales are so poor. iOS gaming would get trounced in the front room space by the big long established players, plus I can't see the big devs handing over 30% of all sales over to Apple either! So they won't touch iOS in that respect so again you'll never see masterpieces like The Last Of Us or Bioshock Infinte on iOS.

Yes, people do seem to believe Apple can literally perform miracles. I am a Sony fan, had a 360 too mind but I traded that in for the PS4 and Sony's PSN is astounding value.
I also had my fix of Mario in the good ol SNES day's

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
I don't know why I torture myself by reading the comments section of any game related article. Always full of people who know nothing about the industry but are very vocal.

Nintendo is going nowhere, the 3DS is the most successful console (outpacing Wii and DS, both broke records). The ones to watch out for are Microsoft, and at a pinch Sony. Nintendo are the ones that have least to worry about in terms of finances, units sold, etc.
I suggest doing a bit more research into Sega.[COLOR="#808080"]
I wouldn't agree with Sony Playstation, I think they have literally nailed it with the PS4, the pre-orders show that! As a company as a whole though then I think Sony are ok, I think they were are very dodgy ground but they seem to be heading in the right direction now though, I believe Sony to be one of those brands you would miss if they folded.

Interesting you say Microsoft though? Why did you mention them? I know it's tablets and mobile OS hasn't taken of massively but surely their computer OS business is more than enough to keep them afloat? As for the Xbox, well they have plenty of fans, it will be interesting to see where the Xbox One goes but it has got loyal followers buying it still.
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:56 AM   #66
urtho
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeov View Post
maybe gaming can actually be a thing on iOS. Right now it sucks BIG TIME.. if you want to play any games other than angry birds style games.

touch is horrible for gaming.. been wanting this for a long time !
I am still not sure I will play many games even if I had this on my phone, but right now I download, open and then uninstall almost every non-boardgame.
urtho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:42 AM   #67
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68000
 
Liquorpuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: City of Angels
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
I see, so you think because iOS games are cheap, so should the games controllers? I guess but I think that's a bit of a dream, they'll milk the price.
I actually think the price of games on iOS should be higher if iOS wants to threaten the console industry. iOS games are cheap because the app store is too crowded and devs compete by undercutting. Because the price is cheap, AAA quality titles can't get made.

I don't have a problem paying premium for hardware or software because you usually get what you pay for. But when your typical iOS game costs somewhere between Freemium and $10, games like GTA5 (which cost $130M+ to develop) are never coming to iOS unless it's 10 years later as a throwback port. Which is a big deal because IP like GTA5, BF, Mario, etc are the backbone of the gaming industry and take the lion's share of profits. Whoever thinks the Wii U is doomed, watch Nintendo's reputation when Super Mario 3D World comes out in November. They already went through the same thing with the 3DS, and all it took was Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion, and Animal Crossing to make people doubleback and declare it a success.
__________________
Ableton 9 on a Surface Pro 2, APC40, Audiobox, Yamaha KX8, Roland V-Drums HD1 + Octapad, K-Pro, Rode NT1A, MPC1000, EWI, 1200-MK5, 06-Pro
Liquorpuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:49 AM   #68
neoelectronaut
macrumors 68020
 
neoelectronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Southeastern Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
It would be a good wake-up call for a company that has given up on offering high-end graphics on their platforms like the competition does.
In an era of diminishing returns, high-end graphics are being less and less important, in my opinion.

As long as Nintendo keeps up their stellar software output I'm satisfied.
neoelectronaut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:03 PM   #69
Lennholm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillwall View Post
There's no way the Wii U is profitable though, unless they spent nothing developing it, which wouldn't be much of a surprise considering they didn't even put the work into it to make it a real next gen console upgrade from the wii.
And what exactly defines a "real" next gen console? And keep in mind that if you say performance and high-end graphics you're conceding that consoles are, after all, nothing more than poor-man's PC's.
The only reason for a console to exist is if it offers something you can't get anywhere else and out of the console makers Nintendo are the only ones who are always offering that. There's nothing you can do with an Xbox or Playstation that you can't do better and cheaper with a real gaming PC.
Lennholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 03:11 PM   #70
apolloa
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lennholm View Post
And what exactly defines a "real" next gen console? And keep in mind that if you say performance and high-end graphics you're conceding that consoles are, after all, nothing more than poor-man's PC's.
The only reason for a console to exist is if it offers something you can't get anywhere else and out of the console makers Nintendo are the only ones who are always offering that. There's nothing you can do with an Xbox or Playstation that you can't do better and cheaper with a real gaming PC.
Well, on a PC I cannot pay 40 a year and get Battlefield 3, Saints Row 3, Far Cry 3 and so on for free. Plus exclusive beta acces plus the ability to download full entire games and play them totally free for a full hour.
A games console is STILL far easier to use then a PC, no driver updates to worry about, no updates to have to set up, no steam accounts to set up, in fact a Mac is probably closer in use to a console then a PC is.
And lets not forget the exclusive games consoles get, The Last Of Us for example.
And I would also argue how good a PC you can build for 350, I bet it's graphics would match a Playstation 4 or be worst.
No to me a PC is more powerful with better graphics and has cheaper overall games, but the cost of a PC can cost several hundred plus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
I actually think the price of games on iOS should be higher if iOS wants to threaten the console industry. iOS games are cheap because the app store is too crowded and devs compete by undercutting. Because the price is cheap, AAA quality titles can't get made.

I don't have a problem paying premium for hardware or software because you usually get what you pay for. But when your typical iOS game costs somewhere between Freemium and $10, games like GTA5 (which cost $130M+ to develop) are never coming to iOS unless it's 10 years later as a throwback port. Which is a big deal because IP like GTA5, BF, Mario, etc are the backbone of the gaming industry and take the lion's share of profits. Whoever thinks the Wii U is doomed, watch Nintendo's reputation when Super Mario 3D World comes out in November. They already went through the same thing with the 3DS, and all it took was Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion, and Animal Crossing to make people doubleback and declare it a success.
You will never get premium triple A games on iOS like a PC or Console gets, for one they haven't got the power, they haven't got the platform really like you can't easily connect an iOS device to a TV, you need to buy something else, and then buy a controller.
But if your talking about an iOS device itself then I can't seen anyone being willing to pay 30 for games regularly, no iOS users would be far happier getting the game for free then spending THOUSANDS on IAP's plus I cannot see any serious dev giving Apple 30% of it's takings, ever.
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 06:14 PM   #71
Zeov
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Odense
Quote:
Originally Posted by urtho View Post
I am still not sure I will play many games even if I had this on my phone, but right now I download, open and then uninstall almost every non-boardgame.
Stuff like the GTA games would be pretty fun to play when you're in the bus / train etc
__________________
iMac 27 Basemodel MacBook Air "13 Ultimate Macbook Pro "13 iPad iPhone 4
Zeov is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:16 PM   #72
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68000
 
Liquorpuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: City of Angels
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
You will never get premium triple A games on iOS like a PC or Console gets, for one they haven't got the power, they haven't got the platform really like you can't easily connect an iOS device to a TV, you need to buy something else, and then buy a controller.

But if your talking about an iOS device itself then I can't seen anyone being willing to pay 30 for games regularly, no iOS users would be far happier getting the game for free then spending THOUSANDS on IAP's plus I cannot see any serious dev giving Apple 30% of it's takings, ever.
Yeah an iPad won't match a living room console but from a tech POV, it could potentially match handhelds. Spec-wise an iPad is similar to a Vita which has $40 games. But you'll never see a $40 game on the app store because the market is f-d.

And I agree with the IAP thing. What's interesting about IAP is it's rampant on iOS because for many app categories, $1 apps became too expensive. Devs are trying to make $$$ and when $1 = too expensive, the only solution is to put out the app for free and monetize by either sticking ads all over the place or charging for IAP.
__________________
Ableton 9 on a Surface Pro 2, APC40, Audiobox, Yamaha KX8, Roland V-Drums HD1 + Octapad, K-Pro, Rode NT1A, MPC1000, EWI, 1200-MK5, 06-Pro
Liquorpuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 04:44 AM   #73
JessicaRobort
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Logitech Begins Teasing Their Own iOS Game Controller

With iOS 7 officially out in the wild complete with support for MFi game controllers, it's not surprising that accessory companies are gearing up to unveil their own controller solutions for our mobile devices. Earlier today ClamCase unveiled their GameCase controller, which looks sort of like someone snapped an Xbox 360 controller in half over their knee and wedged an iPad mini in-between the two halves. Now Logitech is starting to hint over on Facebook that they're iOS controller is on the horizon, releasing this cheeky teaser image.

Now, you might remember back at WWDC and E3 this past June when official MFi Controller support was originally announced that Kotaku snapped a covert shot of what was apparently a prototype controller from none other than... yep, Logitech. Could that blurry image of the prototype be basically what we'll be looking at when Logitech does officially pull the curtain back on their iOS controller? We'll just have to wait and see, but if you want you can sign up with your email through this Facebook link to be "among the first to know" when they do unveil their controller at some point in the future.
JessicaRobort is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:15 PM   #74
apolloa
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
Yeah an iPad won't match a living room console but from a tech POV, it could potentially match handhelds. Spec-wise an iPad is similar to a Vita which has $40 games. But you'll never see a $40 game on the app store because the market is f-d.

And I agree with the IAP thing. What's interesting about IAP is it's rampant on iOS because for many app categories, $1 apps became too expensive. Devs are trying to make $$$ and when $1 = too expensive, the only solution is to put out the app for free and monetize by either sticking ads all over the place or charging for IAP.
Although on the 3DS Mario is great and on the Vita Killzone Mercenary really show what the systems can do. I totally agree that the iPad AND other tablets are as good as a dedicated handheld, I mean with my lil Tegra 3 Nexus 7, if I had that before I got my Vita, I doubt I would have got a Vita!

And once they bless the iPad Mini with a decent retina screen and a powerful SOC then I'm not sure how the dedicated handhelds will cope? I can just plug my PS3 controller in using a 69p adapter and play games with it on my Nexus, and with these controller supports in iOS, then tablets will be hard to ignore to replace a dedicated gaming handheld IMO.

Look at Real Racing, it's pretty much the Gran Turismo of mobile gaming, and it has competitors from Gameloft and 2K!

So where as a tablet IMO will never beat a home console, IMO they can beat the 3DS and Vita.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeov View Post
Stuff like the GTA games would be pretty fun to play when you're in the bus / train etc
Here you go then:

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12/1...ity-ios-review

GTA games on iOS have been out for a while
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone+Mfi Game Controller Hybrid techadict iPhone 0 Feb 24, 2014 07:36 AM
More iOS Games With Support for iOS 7 'MFi' Game Controllers Released MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 14 Dec 22, 2013 10:35 PM
Logitech mfi controller now in apple store Greggae512 iPhone Accessories 1 Dec 8, 2013 02:09 PM
OS X: MFi controllers coming soon - Mac support? Miharu Mac and PC Games 4 Sep 26, 2013 10:05 PM
Apple Working with Logitech and MOGA on Upcoming MFi Game Controllers MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 57 Jun 17, 2013 12:20 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC