Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Just got my Wifi Mini and love it. I am planning to tether it to mu iPhone by Bluetooth. While that works great for Internet, Bluetooth tethering doesn't seem to pass GPS data. That works fine via Wifi. My only reason for using Bluetooth is its more battery friendly. In a car though, I can always connect to power.

i-sidd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2006
I also am planning the same thing once I get my ipad. Please do share your experience how the tethering is working with the ipad mini and hows the navigation.

I have to change data plans but that's fine as long as the navigation gps works.

Please update your findings

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
I don't jailbreak, so I can't answer that one. I will try it out driving around later. But I'm pretty sure with Wifi tethering the GPS will be fine.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Ok, this was kind of a fail. I tried to use apple maps with it tethered via wifi. It was able to track but it updated about every 5 seconds... Not good for live nab. Worse, the iPad maps app wasn't doing turn by turn, but rather like the old maps app did. I tried Waze and it didn't work well. I'll stick to the iPhone for navigation. It works fine.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I tried this as well and could not get it to work. When you first open Maps it will get you location but I do not think it is coming from the tethered GPS. Probably Wifi Location based. I know others have said it works but it certainly does not work for me. I think this should be something Apple could make work if they wanted too. It would be nice.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
It was my understanding that the wifi only iPads don't have GPS, only the cellular models do. I bought a cellular AT&T ipad mini, I have no data plan cause my company just gave me a blackberry that can be used as a mobile hotspot (they haven't activated it yet but it should be turned on any day now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.