Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I recently lost my whole itunes library, & have been slowly rebuilding it, by re adding all my music, but for a couple of albums, I get a red stop sign error message saying it cant copy to music disk, the file is in use, & iTunes will not place them in the library.

I have made an attachment screen shot to show what is happening. what could be causing this? I ran a disk permissions, & it helped with a few other albums, but there are still some that are stubbornly not loading into my new library.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 2.22.31 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-28 at 2.22.31 AM.png
    28.2 KB · Views: 88

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I recently lost my whole itunes library, & have been slowly rebuilding it, by re adding all my music, but for a couple of albums, I get a red stop sign error message saying it cant copy to music disk, the file is in use, & iTunes will not place them in the library.

I have made an attachment screen shot to show what is happening. what could be causing this? I ran a disk permissions, & it helped with a few other albums, but there are still some that are stubbornly not loading into my new library.

Have you tried resetting the SMC?

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Can you duplicate the troublesome album folders in Finder?
If so, have you tried adding the duplicate files rather than the originals?

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
I tried the SMC reset, it did not work, I am using the music volume in an esata dual bay enclosure, & perhaps the esata is not working well with my mac mini, or maybe those individual folders are corrupt?

@Partron22, I tried copying the troublesome albums from my external to my mac, & then tried to load them into itunes, & got the same thing, it seems to think something or someone is using them.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
@Partron22, I tried copying the troublesome albums from my external to my mac, & then tried to load them into itunes, & got the same thing, it seems to think something or someone is using them.
You have admin privileges?
Do a Finder 'Get info' on one of your copied files, 'Sharing & Permissions', and make sure everyone's got read and write privileges. Those do sometimes get screwed up.

You HAVE rebooted by now, I hope?

Sossity

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Yes, I have rebooted, I have since shut down & powered up since this post.

Edit; checked the permissions for those albums, & it said I had read and write.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.