Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raynold2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Guys, I'm looking for some lights here.

Live in Europe, where we hear about the crisis every ******* day. Salaries cuts here, factories closing there, taxes and joblessness are ramping up, looks like the worst context in decades. In the US things are not so good too.

And Apple continues to thrive to never-seen-before levels. People are queuing for hours to spend their hard-earned cash on technology they seldom need, re-selling old iPads for new ones six months after they've been issued.

How do you make these two things correlate? I know consumerism is not always rational. But here, the discrepancy between the economic context and consumer attitude seems gigantic--just beats me. :confused:

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Or.... people aren't actually quite as badly off as the news media are depicting. There is a good reason for the politicians to preach doom&gloom... if you get people scared, you can manipulate them. It could be that there are loads of people who are doing fine, and just assume they are the exception and not part of the majority.

We've been lucky here in Canada though, so it's hard to judge first hand. Things could be as bad as the media are showing... we just don't have the 1st hand experience in the GWN.

Did you see that our Central Banker is moving to the Bank of England?

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
The "crisis" is overblown. 95% of college graduates are still working and they can afford expensive electronics. Don't forget Samsung is rolling in dough too.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Yeah, it's so true. But you're from Switzerland... not a country with economic problems.

I'd like to see some sale numbers for Spain, Italy, and especially Greece. Did you hear about Apple stores closing in those crisis-ridden countries? Not me.

Well, actually I'm an ex-pat Canadian in Switzerland and yes both countries have been battered less than others in the last few years.

FWIW, I don't know the sales figures of Apple in the countries you mentioned but do know I saw relatively few smartphones and even fewer iphones when I spent a week in Greece last summer. I saw one single ipad, that one being used by an Asian tourist.

RSL

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2012
How do you make these two things correlate? I know consumerism is not always rational. But here, the discrepancy between the economic context and consumer attitude seems gigantic--just beats me. :confused:

I see no contradiction in the fact that a few companies are doing well when the world economy is tanking. You have to make a distinction between a global phenomenon and a local phenomenon (one company). Analogy: whilst the earth is warming globally, some places are not feeling the heat.

raynold2010

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
Well, actually I'm an ex-pat Canadian in Switzerland and yes both countries have been battered less than others in the last few years.

FWIW, I don't know the sales figures of Apple in the countries you mentioned but do know I saw relatively few smartphones and even fewer iphones when I spent a week in Greece last summer. I saw one single ipad, that one being used by an Asian tourist.

Thank you for the testimony !

A part of the answer is here

http://www.grreporter.info/en/there_no_crisis_apple_products_greece/7726

Mr. Pritis, how does the crisis affect the sales of Apple products?

There is no crisis for us. The people who buy Apple products are their greatest fans and prefer them purposefully. Customers buying cell phones of some of the most popular brands do not come to our shop. They continue to buy their new products.
Our customers buy only Apple products.

What is the profile of your customers?

The range is great. From a professional point of view, they are people from those who are dealing with new technologies to lawyers, physicians and others. Of course, the majority of them have better than average financial means. In terms of age, our customers are also very different. They start from 16-year-olds who clearly do not buy the products with their own money and end at the elderly. For example, our support technician has a meeting now with a 70-year old woman who has an iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.