Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Lancashire, North West, UK
This is apparently what happened.
My daughter put a cd with a divx file in the insert of her macbook pro. She got the spinning beech ball and after a long hang my mother in law shut down via the on/off button. Now, with the same cd inserted it wont boot. We get a white / grey screen and every now and then a folder icon with a ? symbol on it flashes. I try the eject button, the disc tries to come out but doesn't and i'm still stuck.
I did some research, something about pressing 'v' whilst booting in the hope of a safe mode boot.......nothing.
Any suggestions most welcome.
Thanks

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Its probably trying to boot up off the disk.

If your computer has an eject button on the keyboard, restart the computer holding down the Option key. When the startup disk selection screen appears, let go of the option key and press the keyboard's eject button.

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
Its probably trying to boot up off the disk.

If your computer has an eject button on the keyboard, restart the computer holding down the Option key. When the startup disk selection screen appears, let go of the option key and press the keyboard's eject button.

Also, holding down the trackpad during boot up will force-eject the disc. ;)

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
^ Stridemat

I'm a Stride by name - how very strange.
Anyway, I did the start and option key, for the first time tonight i got a cursor but no start up disc images. I tried eject, it did try - i swear i can see perhaps a mm sticking out of the dust flaps but then it goes back in.

I then tried the method holding the track pad on boot. Again, it gave a good attempt at ejecting but just as I thought it was going to plop out, back in she goes. I wonder if theres two discs in there?

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Well, i'm not quite there, must be more underlying issues.

The disc is out but not booting to anything other than whitish screen.

Done boot with option key, get a cursor nothing more.

Done boot with 'v' key - nothing at all..............

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Have you tried seeing the HD is seated correctly in the computer? Could be a bit of pain to get to.

You could also boot up with the OS X install disks and see if you can get anywhere that way.

mulo

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2010
Behind you
the flashing folder with a question mark at boot means the computer cant find the operating system.

reinstall it form the dvd, your stuff should still be there

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
^ thanks to all so far.
I tried to install from start up disc - but it wouldn't locate the hd to have it installed.
I then noticed you can use time machine, i tried that but it said i didn't have enough free memory to proceed.
At this point I thought stuff it and did a disc utility check - it started but then a message came up about bad sectors - i then tried to erase the disc, it did about 50% then faltered again. I guess the HD is truly goosed.
So, I think i need a new one. The item has a description of hitachi hts541612j9sa00. I googled it and it would appear to not be in circulation any more??? Only second hand ones on ebay at buy it now circa £25.

Is this true? Can you recommend other model / brands?
Thanks

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Any 2.5" sata hard drive will do. What's your budget? Want a performance upgrade or just keep it the same?

mac2thefuture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2007
More help required please.

I've replaced the HD and on firing up it's booting staright from s/leopard install disc which is now in the drive.

When the prompt appears 'select the disc where you want OS X' - nothing is highlighted.

When I go to disc utility it is there?

How do I get it to appear to load OS X on to.

Thanks

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
You need to format the new drive for it to be available to the installer. In Disk Utility, with it selected, click on the Erase tab, give it a name, and click the Erase button (you can leave the default format selected, should be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"). Then when you go back to the installer, it should be available as a destination.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.