Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:28 AM   #1
xXEvanatorXX
macrumors newbie

Can I put my normal AT&T sim card in an iphone?

A friend gave me his old 3Gs and I want to put my sim card from my HTC Tilt into it. The Tilts data plan is turned off. If i put the card into the iPhone what will happen? Will AT&T start charging me data fees? Or upgrade me to a two year plan?

Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:30 AM   #2

I believe that you'll get a text informing you that your plan has been upgraded or otherwise changed to an iPhone data plan. It'll tell you to contact ATT for more information.
184550 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:53 AM   #3
SpaceKitty
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
I believe that you'll get a text informing you that your plan has been upgraded or otherwise changed to an iPhone data plan. It'll tell you to contact ATT for more information.
This is correct. AT&T doesn't give warnings anymore. They will automatically upgrade a user to an official iPhone data plan or add one if there is no data plan.
SpaceKitty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:56 AM   #4
eastercat
macrumors 68040

If you want to avoid a forced data plan, go with AT&T's pay as you go.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:19 PM   #5
ibarnett
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
So they know it's am iPhone?
Even if you don't tell them the EMEI?
I'm interested as I will be visiting USA with an unlocked iPhone 4 & was planing to use prepaid(pay as you go) & give EMEI from another phone as I heard that if you try to add data on a GoPhone sim it will be denied once they know it's an iPhone!
This leaves no 3G companies for visitors, I would have to go with T-Mobile.
ibarnett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:12 PM   #6
chargit
macrumors 6502a

well no matter what they CANNOT force you into a 2 year plan. they can put data on your plan but if you do not buy a phone from them or apple the 2 years is out the window! but its worth $15 unless you have 5 phones on your account like I do......
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceKitty View Post
This is correct. AT&T doesn't give warnings anymore. They will automatically upgrade a user to an official iPhone data plan or add one if there is no data plan.
Yes.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting