Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:05 PM   #1
imetazoa
macrumors member

Regrets obout my MBP - Why is Office 2008 slow as sh**???

UG. So I made the switch and purchased a MBP 13". I make a lot of detailed power point slides/presentations with Office PowerPoint. On my old VAIO I used Office 2003. Well I upgraded to Office 2008 for this MBP and its sooooooooo slow. If I'm in PowerPoint and I type a letter in a text box it takes a few seconds for the letter to show up. I'm not even running any other programs in the background (except maybe Firefox).

Is this common? It is honestly making me consider returning it.
imetazoa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:12 PM   #2
yojitani
macrumors 68000

No. It's not normal. Open up activity monitor to see if something is gobbling up resources. Nothing should be gobbling up resources like that, but if you've installed a dodgy program like Vuze or something like that, it could happen.

Also, what size is the file you're editing? It could be powerpoint, not your computer. I never use powerpoint unless I have to share the file with a PC. Keynote is much better and more robust.
yojitani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:33 PM   #3
imetazoa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojitani View Post
No. It's not normal. Open up activity monitor to see if something is gobbling up resources. Nothing should be gobbling up resources like that, but if you've installed a dodgy program like Vuze or something like that, it could happen.

Also, what size is the file you're editing? It could be powerpoint, not your computer. I never use powerpoint unless I have to share the file with a PC. Keynote is much better and more robust.
The file is 10.2 MB.

Here is the thing... I have bootcamp running Windows 7 and Office 2010 and I do not experience any delay typing on the same slide in the text box.

I wanted to be able to use the MBP w/ Office, not keynote :/ And it seems the two are not compatible...
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:27 PM   #4
yojitani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by imetazoa View Post
The file is 10.2 MB.

Here is the thing... I have bootcamp running Windows 7 and Office 2010 and I do not experience any delay typing on the same slide in the text box.

I wanted to be able to use the MBP w/ Office, not keynote :/ And it seems the two are not compatible...
Well then the problem is microsoft's. You might try contacting them. Perhaps there is some sort of fix or known issue? There's a new version of office coming out soon, btw. It may be better.

No, they aren't compatible and I would strongly recommend against creating in keynote and exporting. That is a disaster worth avoiding. Is there a reason you need to use powerpoint?
yojitani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Deepek
macrumors newbie

It's Windows... Yuk
Deepek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:37 PM   #6
dr. shdw
macrumors 6502a

Did you update it all the way?
dr. shdw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 03:11 PM   #7
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojitani View Post
No, they aren't compatible and I would strongly recommend against creating in keynote and exporting. That is a disaster worth avoiding. Is there a reason you need to use powerpoint?
I wouldn't completely rule it out. I'm sure there might be issues depending on what tools you're using to create the presentation but it does work. I've created simple to intermediate presentations in Keynote and exported them to PowerPoint with very minor problems that can be simply fixed in PowerPoint (when reviewing) and sometimes with no problems.

To OP, it's something you might want to try and not completely rule it out. I for one hated the UI in PowerPoint for Mac that I switched to Keynote (first time user) and it was pretty straightforward with a small learning curve.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 03:15 PM   #8
iggypod
macrumors 6502a

To say Office 2008 for the mac is horrible is an UNDERSTATEMENT. Go read any reviews (on Amazon for example) and you'll quickly see how awful it performs on a mac.

Office 2011 arrives late October (the 26th I believe) and is supposed to be significantly improved (for, example VBA macros return) along with performance gains (or so I read).
Old Sep 1, 2010, 03:29 PM   #9
CaoCao
macrumors 6502a

It involves Microsoft
CaoCao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 03:46 PM   #10
dal20402
macrumors 6502

Office 2008 is a bit doggy. But it shouldn't be doggy enough to make you wait seconds to enter text.

Make sure Office is all the way up to date. There have been meaningful performance improvements in several of the updates.

Also make sure you aren't starved for RAM. If you see a lot of page outs in Activity Monitor, make sure you aren't running lots of hidden background programs.
dal20402 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 04:26 PM   #11
530farm
macrumors member

Look for Office 2011 Beta. I'm running beta 4, they're now on 6 or 7 I believe and it has been great for me.
530farm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 04:33 PM   #12
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
So I made the switch and purchased a MBP 13".
I don't think you'll find many people impressed with the performance of Office 2008 for Mac.

If you made the switch and purchased your copy of Office 2008 for Mac after August 1st, you get a free upgrade to Office 2011 for Mac when it comes out in October.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...1-upgrade.mspx
aristobrat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:22 PM   #13
aeboi
macrumors 65816

using mac office 2011 beta 6, works fine
2008 was a little slower for me
aeboi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:30 PM   #14
Str8edgepunker
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Str8edgepunker
Don't return it just yet. Wait until Office 2011 comes out, as the applications are a lot faster and better, if Beta 6 is any indication.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:57 PM   #15
imetazoa
macrumors member

My activity monitor (from what I can tell because I am new to Mac) seems to be reasonable. I also have the most recent updates.

I'm somewhat relieved to find out this is a common issue because it means I have not gone crazy and/or didn't get a dud machine. It was also making me question whether the Core2duo was a good choice for me... but if the Office 2011 is suppose to be better, I will wait.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 07:49 PM   #16
molala
macrumors 6502a

Above posts about Office 2008 true. In fact, it was a downgrade (speed-wise) from Office 2004. I personally use Keynote, you could also try OpenOffice which is free.
molala is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 08:10 PM   #17
revelated
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
My activity monitor (from what I can tell because I am new to Mac) seems to be reasonable. I also have the most recent updates.

I'm somewhat relieved to find out this is a common issue because it means I have not gone crazy and/or didn't get a dud machine. It was also making me question whether the Core2duo was a good choice for me... but if the Office 2011 is suppose to be better, I will wait.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
My advice: stop using Microsoft Office on Mac. I doubt they'll ever get it to work as well as iWork does. My opinion.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 08:11 PM   #18
ski2moro
macrumors 6502

When I made the switch in 07, I had the same issues with the (old) Microsoft Office for Mac. I suffered through it for a while, but when I had some seriously large files, I went to Bootcamp, booted Windows XP, then used my old copy of MS Office for PC. The next version of Office for Mac was better. Now, I've made the change to iWork and I really like it.
ski2moro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:31 PM   #19
Rithem
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeboi View Post
using mac office 2011 beta 6, works fine
2008 was a little slower for me
Just got it. It's verrrry nice.
Rithem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:37 PM   #20
3lionsbecks
macrumors 6502

I'm using Office for Mac on m MBP and its totally fine.

It should be running much better than what you have said you are experiencing I think you have something wrong with your MBP or your settings.
iPod Touch 32GB, tv
3lionsbecks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 04:41 AM   #21
sup3r1or
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to sup3r1or
What I can say, it is definately not normal for it to be slow. However note that office on windows is much faster (in terms of loading, processing, etc.)

try reinstalling it and also make sure you update it several times, because it can only dload 1 update at a time.

To a person who said "Windows yuk"

U know I can agree with you up to the point of Windows Vista, but when it comes to 7 Im still sure that performance wise it is much faster than OSX. Besides you do no need a 2000-6000 dollars investment to get that performance.
sup3r1or is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 05:50 AM   #22
greythorne
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lionsbecks View Post
I'm using Office for Mac on m MBP and its totally fine.

It should be running much better than what you have said you are experiencing I think you have something wrong with your MBP or your settings.
Wrong!!

I am experiencing the same here.... Its pretty much slow, Office for Mac 2011 seems to be better but then beta 6 was not smooth sailing for me. I have not tried iWork yet perhaps should give the trial a go and see how it performs.

My macbook pro is the mid-2010 13inch 2.4GHz just changed to WD Scorpio Black 320gig 7200rpm and no difference at all.

Some suggestions maybe change to a faster hard drive like Seagate momentus XT or even an SSD.
greythorne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 06:49 AM   #23
MacModMachine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by greythorne View Post
Wrong!!

I am experiencing the same here.... Its pretty much slow, Office for Mac 2011 seems to be better but then beta 6 was not smooth sailing for me. I have not tried iWork yet perhaps should give the trial a go and see how it performs.

My macbook pro is the mid-2010 13inch 2.4GHz just changed to WD Scorpio Black 320gig 7200rpm and no difference at all.

Some suggestions maybe change to a faster hard drive like Seagate momentus XT or even an SSD.

how could he be wrong ?

mine runs great on all 5 of my macs....your doing something wrong.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 07:23 AM   #24
Pavia
macrumors regular

Because it was made by Microsoft.
Pavia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:48 AM   #25
bigjobby
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavia View Post
Because it was made by Microsoft.
My Aperture often runs slow or hangs. Does that mean Microsoft made that too?
bigjobby is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro