Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Imagine this...

All excited to pick up our new 2011 QX-56 a few weeks ago. I subsequently find out that 2011 Infiniti no longer offers support for call waiting on the iPhone. I missed an important call that I was expecting.

If you're on a call and another one comes in, you'll never know it. No beep, no indication at all until you see the missed call in the iPhone itself.

Our 2008 QX-56 had bluetooth call waiting, so naturally, I wouldn't expect to lose functionality with a new car.

I went to Infiniti's website and my finding was confirmed. It clearly states that call waiting is not supported. This applies to virtually all 2010 and 2011 Infiniti cars. Prior years are supported. Hope this helps.

This might be relevant to anyone considering Infiniti as a new car choice.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Surely it's not much of an issue when you only get 14mpg around town? You're not driving enough what with having to refuel so often, so chances are you won't be in the car when it rings, and can answer the phone from the handset. :p

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Seems like a major crisis.

Hardly, but damn frustrating when you miss a call you were expecting or your kids need to reach you. Didn't say it's the end of the world, but after dropping almost $70k on a car, I'd prefer not to lose basic functions.

mgford11

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
Lol so many haters on macrumors. Congrats on the new ride, that does suck about the bluetooth though. I think you have an aux jack to the right of the shifter, under the passenger temperature knob - try griffins aux/mic cable. I hear it's badass. Mines on the way from amazon, http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/hands-free-microphone

I realize it eliminates the use of ur controls in the car, but it does solve your problem inexpensively.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Lol so many haters on macrumors. Congrats on the new ride, that does suck about the bluetooth though. I think you have an aux jack to the right of the shifter, under the passenger temperature knob - try griffins aux/mic cable. I hear it's badass. Mines on the way from amazon, http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/hands-free-microphone

I realize it eliminates the use of ur controls in the car, but it does solve your problem inexpensively.

Thanks for having a brain and understanding my point. I will certainly consider your suggestion. There are certain times I can't be missing calls with a wife and 4 kids. Thanks!!!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
It's not too safe...

Might as well text while I'm driving too....:confused:

research has shown hands free (aka blue tooth) vs holding your phone in your hand an talking have about the same increase in a wreck happening.
The a cause of the wreck is not the holding of the phone but the distraction the conversation itself. The person is not in your car so is not aware of what is going on around you so they tend to increase you distraction.
handfree (aka blue tooth) is nothing more than a convinces in the terms that it frees up your hands it does nothing in terms of reducing the chance of wreck.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
research has shown hands free (aka blue tooth) vs holding your phone in your hand an talking have about the same increase in a wreck happening.
The a cause of the wreck is not the holding of the phone but the distraction the conversation itself. The person is not in your car so is not aware of what is going on around you so they tend to increase you distraction.
handfree (aka blue tooth) is nothing more than a convinces in the terms that it frees up your hands it does nothing in terms of reducing the chance of wreck.

Sorry pal...your info is wrong. There is debate for either argument, but common sense dictates having both hands on the wheel is safer than just one.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Sorry pal...your info is wrong. There is debate for either argument, but common sense dictates having both hands on the wheel is safer than just one.

Nathan provide links that prove otherwise.
The studies have shown that the difference is negligible between hand-free vs holding the phone in your hand. Both increase your chances of a wreck by about the same amount.
The problem is your reaction time is increased so much that you do not have time to react.

I could go on and point out in a panic most people slam on the brakes and do no try to steer around the problem. At speeds one hand can move beyond the limits of what the car could do anyhow for steering.

The problem is the increase in reaction time from the conversation itself.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Nathan provide links that prove otherwise.
The studies have shown that the difference is negligible between hand-free vs holding the phone in your hand. Both increase your chances of a wreck by about the same amount.
The problem is your reaction time is increased so much that you do not have time to react.

I could go on and point out in a panic most people slam on the brakes and do no try to steer around the problem. At speeds one hand can move beyond the limits of what the car could do anyhow for steering.

The problem is the increase in reaction time from the conversation itself.

I understand your point and am not arguing. Sadly, most people are incapable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. I stand by my two hands comment, however. Nonetheless, I prefer hands free over holding the phone.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I understand your point and am not arguing. Sadly, most people are incapable of walking and chewing gum at the same time. I stand by my two hands comment, however. Nonetheless, I prefer hands free over holding the phone.

I will jump on anyone who uses the safety argument as the reason they should use a hands free device and anyone who believes it is safer is an even bigger risk on the road because they think they can handle it.

I know for a fact I am guilty of talking on a phone and driving. I do it all the time. The biggest rule is to make a good judgment on when to hang up the phone call or throw the phone down.

It is about knowing how to read the road. I will just say gotta go bye and hang up the phone. that is the end of the convo no debate and I not answer the phone. To many people do not use good judgment. You worry me because you use the BS safety agrument and therefor I will put you in the more dangerous group out there.

May 8, 2008
I will jump on anyone who uses the safety argument as the reason they should use a hands free device and anyone who believes it is safer is an even bigger risk on the road because they think they can handle it.

I know for a fact I am guilty of talking on a phone and driving. I do it all the time. The biggest rule is to make a good judgment on when to hang up the phone call or throw the phone down.

It is about knowing how to read the road. I will just say gotta go bye and hang up the phone. that is the end of the convo no debate and I not answer the phone. To many people do not use good judgment. You worry me because you use the BS safety agrument and therefor I will put you in the more dangerous group out there.

Exact what one of the articles said.

People who use hands free devices assume they are safer and are thus more likely to engage in dangerous driving patterns.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008

Don't go there as far as categorizing me as dangerous. 44 years old and no driving issues (tickets or accidents) in well over 20 years. Most of which were spent driving sports cars including a fair amount of track time.

May 8, 2008
Don't go there as far as categorizing me as dangerous. 44 years old and no driving issues (tickets or accidents) in well over 20 years. Most of which were spent driving sports cars including a fair amount of track time.

Then as you probably you know, it just takes one mishap. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.