Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Don't go there as far as categorizing me as dangerous. 44 years old and no driving issues (tickets or accidents) in well over 20 years. Most of which were spent driving sports cars including a fair amount of track time.

Bro, don't bother explaining yourself or your situation. Some have nothing better to do than argue on the net. It's nonsense IMO.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Bro, don't bother explaining yourself or your situation. Some have nothing better to do than argue on the net. It's nonsense IMO.

Dude, you're right. It's amazing how an innocuous statement put on here to help and inform people brings out the morons and their stupid comments. That said, I'll limit my responses to those in response to the thread subject.

I did a quick test while dropping my kids off a little while ago...It's worse than I previously had thought. While on a call and afterwards, there is no notification whatsoever that someone tried to call you unless they leave a message. The call will not show on the missed call list. This further underscores my earlier statement that most people are probably not aware of the issue.

I did see a few threads on car-specific sites as this problem is not unique to the iPhone. There are other phones that Infiniti does not support as well.

May 8, 2008

For your loyalty, you deserve a badge of honor:

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 1_Bro.jpg
    1_Bro.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 34

DoorMouse

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2010
Sydney
Because it's so hard to hold a phone and drive at the same time?

Not that any of you are in Australia, but just for interests sake, it's illegal to talk on a hand-held phone while driving in NSW (I can't remember the other states) You can only use hands free devices (for full licence drivers anyway- provisional drivers can't even legally use hands free devices).

May 8, 2008
Not that any of you are in Australia, but just for interests sake, it's illegal to talk on a hand-held phone while driving in NSW (I can't remember the other states) You can only use hands free devices (for full licence drivers anyway- provisional drivers can't even legally use hands free devices).

Many US states have similar laws. Their enforcement, however, is another matter...

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Wow, I just purchased a '11 Ferrari yesterday before I heard that it had the same problem. :p

OP, you should really write to Infiniti about this.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I like my iPhone more than the car. :D

Best quote ever.

If it makes you feel better, my Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT, which is Pioneer's latest "state-of-the-art" navigation system has the same problem. Call-waiting simply doesn't even register with the unit, and I have to manually switch calls from the iPhone 4.

VERY lame.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Wow, I just purchased a '11 Ferrari yesterday before I heard that it had the same problem. :p

OP, you should really write to Infiniti about this.

Already contacted them. Read my original post. This was to inform others of the problem in case it's a deal break for someone like a real estate agent who lives by their phone and missing a call might be material to their income.

kingkong8624

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2009
Already contacted them. Read my original post. This was to inform others of the problem in case it's a deal break for someone like a real estate agent who lives by their phone and missing a call might be material to their income.

hey thanks for letting us know. im a huge infiniti fan.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

And yet those laws do really nothing but line the pockets of hands free makers because it has been proven time and time again holding the phone in hand vs hands free have the exact same increase in the chances of a wreck happening.

tablo13

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
research has shown hands free (aka blue tooth) vs holding your phone in your hand an talking have about the same increase in a wreck happening.
The a cause of the wreck is not the holding of the phone but the distraction the conversation itself. The person is not in your car so is not aware of what is going on around you so they tend to increase you distraction.
handfree (aka blue tooth) is nothing more than a convinces in the terms that it frees up your hands it does nothing in terms of reducing the chance of wreck.

Anyways, it's more illegal in many places to actually hold the phone.

Steveo47

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2010
wierd, i have a 2010 g37x and i got a piece of mail saying i can take in my car and get a software update specific to the iphone

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
The 932 people who'll eventually buy 2011 Infinities thank you.

Nigandahu

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
Should have gotten a Mercedes-Benz GL.... :/

MB are some of the worst cars on the road. Its hilarious how people have been fooled into thinking they are good cars just because they cost a lot. For most of the last decade, they barely had any cars on the Consumer Reports recommend list. All my friends with them say their cars spend more time at the dealer than their garage. What a joke.

Infiniti on the other hand, makes a quality, reliable product. Maybe thats why Infiniti ALWAYS beats MB in car comparison tests. Most of the time Lexus too.

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
wierd, i have a 2010 g37x and i got a piece of mail saying i can take in my car and get a software update specific to the iphone

Perhaps, but it won't help the call waiting issue....Notice the "NA" for Call Waiting

If you don't want an Infiniti (don't buy one).
If you bought one and you don't like it (bring it back).

But you know you won't.

Cars are not like a shirt you buy at Macy's...you can't just bring them back for a store credit or refund. (Other than some desperation deals being offered by a few manufacturers.)

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Perhaps, but it won't help the call waiting issue....Notice the "NA" for Call Waiting

I'm kind of surprised by that. Is there an entry for the iP4? I think it has to do with the version of Blue Tooth that is being used. My Routan has similar limitations. I would expect on a high end car they'd have all the bells and whistles. Or is the 3GS using a different Blue Tooth spec? If so, even flashing the firmware on the vehicle [heh, I still get a kick out of that] won't help.

[edit: Oh yeah, people should pull over and stop driving when using any cellular device, hands free or no. Live a little and cut the strings that bind you when enjoying a ride, especially in a nice car. Listen to the voice mail and call back when you stop somewhere. Why all this need for instantaneous communications? And get off my lawn. /soapbox away ;) ]

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I'm kind of surprised by that. Is there an entry for the iP4? I think it has to do with the version of Blue Tooth that is being used. My Routan has similar limitations. I would expect on a high end car they'd have all the bells and whistles. Or is the 3GS using a different Blue Tooth spec? If so, even flashing the firmware on the vehicle [heh, I still get a kick out of that] won't help.

I was equally surprised since our 2008 QX did have call waiting on the bluetooth on both my old 3G and IP4. Infiniti went backwards and that is what I am most upset about. I didn't even think to check for something like this. They added BT streaming of music and lots of other great tech features but removed call waiting. :confused:

dpierre

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Somewhere is the US
Imagine this...

All excited to pick up our new 2011 QX-56 a few weeks ago. I subsequently find out that 2011 Infiniti no longer offers support for call waiting on the iPhone. I missed an important call that I was expecting.

If you're on a call and another one comes in, you'll never know it. No beep, no indication at all until you see the missed call in the iPhone itself.

Our 2008 QX-56 had bluetooth call waiting, so naturally, I wouldn't expect to lose functionality with a new car.

I went to Infiniti's website and my finding was confirmed. It clearly states that call waiting is not supported. This applies to virtually all 2010 and 2011 Infiniti cars. Prior years are supported. Hope this helps.

This might be relevant to anyone considering Infiniti as a new car choice.

You should have bought a Lexus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.