Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

092321-apple_logo.jpg

Apple today announced that it is making several changes to its App Store developer policies and procedures, with one of the most significant changes being an easing of its earlier move to ban third-party compilers such as Adobe's Flash-to-iPhone compiler it had built into Flash Professional CS5. Under the new policies, such third-party tools will be permitted as long as the apps generated by them do not download any code.
We are continually trying to make the App Store even better. We have listened to our developers and taken much of their feedback to heart. Based on their input, today we are making some important changes to our iOS Developer Program license in sections 3.3.1, 3.3.2 and 3.3.9 to relax some restrictions we put in place earlier this year.

In particular, we are relaxing all restrictions on the development tools used to create iOS apps, as long as the resulting apps do not download any code. This should give developers the flexibility they want, while preserving the security we need.
Apple has been the target of scrutiny by several regulatory agencies for its exclusionary policies.

In addition, Apple is also publishing its App Store Review Guidelines in order to provide developers with more transparency about the review process. Apple has been criticized for its closed process that has been seemingly arbitrary and inconsistent at times. While there will almost certainly continue to be some inconsistencies as long as humans are involved in the review process, publication of the review guidelines should make it easier for all parties to be on the same page from the outset of the app creation and review processes.

Article Link: Apple Opens App Store to Third-Party Development Tools, Publishes Review Guidelines

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
NO, NO, NO, you can't publish facts like this! The current propaganda is that Apple is evil and closed! They are worse than all other companies. They are awful. Steve is evil!

OK, now back to reality world where we see that once again the facts do not match the propaganda being pushed by Apple's competitors.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
This is awesome news! Hopefully we'll get a link to those guidelines soon (or am I just being blind? -- I can't see it).

Got this message from the developer of Briefs on Twitter, who was screwed over by the review process more than anybody.

iDarbert

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
I want to know what apps are made using Flash because I have no intention of ever downloading them.
It should be easy to recognize them because they will probably won't use any standard iPhone UI widgets.

I expect 80% of them to be games, which is OK I guess.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
If there was only some wording in there that would still ban flash, I would be all giddy.

Flash needs to die

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
This is awesome news! Hopefully we'll get a link to those guidelines soon (or am I just being blind? -- I can't see it).

Got this message from the developer of Briefs on Twitter, who was screwed over by the review process more than anybody.

There's a link off of developer.apple.com , but it doesn't seem to be working for me at the moment...

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
Flash runs like crap on my Mac and everything made using Flash is ugly. Flash developers have no taste I want good looking apps on my phone. Guess you'll caught them by the ugly logos.

Get a better computer. And how could you know everything made using Flash is ugly when your shoddy computer can't run it properly?

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
NO, NO, NO, you can't publish facts like this! The current propaganda is that Apple is evil and closed! They are worse than all other companies. They are awful. Steve is evil!

OK, now back to reality world where we see that once again the facts do not match the propaganda being pushed by Apple's competitors.

What exactly are you trying to convey? :confused:

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
I want to know what apps are made using Flash because I have no intention of ever downloading them.

I'm guessing they'll be all the ones where you fling a little animal from one side of the screen and smash in to a target/bricks/other animals on the other side (well, all those that aren't called Angry Birds anyway).

Viva la revolution.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
What exactly are you trying to convey? :confused:

My guess is that he's sarcastically poking at people who complain about Apple as if they were some evil entity that want nothing less than your soul and can do no right.

As it happens, I just don't know why so many people get so impassioned about loving/hating tech companies. It's the strangest thing to get worked up about (and people really do get worked up -- go check the comments on Engadget, TechCrunch, here)

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008

To be fair, all that "propaganda" has been accurate up until this point. Apple has just become more transparent, they were not this transparent all along, which is what you seem to be implying.

What I want is a way to install apps on my device without using the App Store or paying $99.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Get a better computer. And how could you know everything made using Flash is ugly when your shoddy computer can't run it properly?

Or Adobe could learn to code, what a novel concept. Can you point me to a website showing of something designed in Flash that looks good?

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
... Well! This is an unexpected development!

I'm imagining the huge collective sigh of relief from the Unity, GameSalad, etc communities! Great news..

Waiting to see Adobe's response to this. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.