Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
Besides windows virus are annoying, Mac virus are just plan scary (autofill).

I'm not sure I read that right -- it appears that you just said the most wrong thing you could have said about viruses. Don't be complacent about viruses on any platform, but especially not windows where they exist in such vast numbers and are so malicious that you simply would not believe the threat they pose to unsuspecting users.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
I had posted some pretty damning commentary about Steve and his original decision to exclude third-party development tools. I even eMailed Steve and told him his decision would give away the market to Android simply because it would be easier to develop apps for Android considering how daunting XCode is when compared to other tools.

Turns out I was right. Let's hope the reversal of the "no third-party dev tools" decision isn't too late; a number of development tools that were supposed to be released for iOS were canceled. Will those firms reconsider now? We can only hope. (I'm thinking about RevMobile.)

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
If the tools are not allowed to download external code, then it's not like Flash will be running apps on the iPhone, right? I hope not, because I stereotype Flash developers as people who just can't figure out an actual language. :D

marden72

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2005
Or Adobe could learn to code, what a novel concept. Can you point me to a website showing of something designed in Flash that looks good?

First off, sites built in Flash aren't built by Adobe. They are built by developers using the tools Adobe creates. Using a power saw, I can create something really ugly or really beautiful. Flash is just a tool.

Second, here is a beautiful flash site: http://thefwa.com/ It also shows off thousands of other really well executed website that are built using flash.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
It wont happen, Adobe can't code to save their life.

You need to understand something about how the flash to iPhone compile works. I suggest reading this article to get an idea of what exactly is going on. You are bashing and criticizing a potential app before it is even released. The tech they are using to do this is actually very very cool.

The short part of the article is (for anyone to lazy to read it) that the flash is being compiled to native iOS device code. It may run slow but that is true of any application not written properly and optimized to run on the hardware it is targeting.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Get a better computer. And how could you know everything made using Flash is ugly when your shoddy computer can't run it properly?

Actually Flash is renowned for being very poorly optimised on the Mac compared to Windows.

Nothing to do with "getting a better computer". It's a plug in, you ignoramus.

johnwarrenod

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Flash That Doesn't Suck

Or Adobe could learn to code, what a novel concept. Can you point me to a website showing of something designed in Flash that looks good?

How about the RIA's out there, http://www.revolutionehr.com which is a full medical records and practice management solution for eye care providers. Runs exceptionally well on a Mac (even better than on a PC according to many of our users).

Flash-Flex-SQL DB. Access anywhere, data in the cloud means not internal IT other than keeping a DSL/Cable modem and router working.

I agree, Flash ads and other crap that add no value to sites other than to delay opening are a detriment. Well written/coded Flash apps however provide solutions to many tasks.

Disclaimer, I'm a founder/owner of RevolutionEHR, but I doubt that too many of my eye doctor colleagues are skimming this forum for software recommendations.

John Warren, OD
VP Technology and Innovation, RevolutionEHR

solarthecat

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
Nottingham, UK
You're still going to have to learn 'grammar'!

"Flash runs like crap on my Mac and everything made using Flash is ugly. Flash developers have no taste I want good looking apps on my phone. Guess you'll caught them by the ugly logos."

Seriously?!
Grow up dude, Macs aren't great at running Flash. OSX is not the be all and end all of operating systems! My 2 week old 13" mbp runs flash pretty good, know what runs flash great; my 8 year old Sony desktop with 512MB of ram running XP sp3.
Which is exactly why I am also running Windows 7 on my MBP, which I find to be faster, more intuitive and more compatible with just about everything. Besides windows virus are annoying, Mac virus are just plan scary (autofill).

"

For a Cat, my grammar is not too shabby. I can improve that after I get my paws on them catilicious Development Tools. :p

ps: using a pronoun as a demonstrative for dramatic effect!

nookster

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2002
I'm guessing that the previous cheerleaders for Apple's lockout policy are cheering Apple's u-turn now, just quietly and in private.

adrian.oconnor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Nottingham, England
If the tools are not allowed to download external code, then it's not like Flash will be running apps on the iPhone, right? I hope not, because I stereotype Flash developers as people who just can't figure out an actual language. :D

That's not how it works -- Flash CS5 can compile an iOS app in to a bundle -- just like XCode -- for submission to the app store. The app includes Flash player, the code and the assets (graphics, sounds etc) so the whole thing is self-contained. Nothing is downloaded.

dbryce

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
Am I dreaming?

As I keep on pinching myself & rubbing my eyes but can anyone confirm me that this means we're allowed to use Adobe's Flash-to-iPhone Complier for sure?????

I bought bunch of books to learn Objective-C & Java but this would be just SUPER time saver for me if I could do it in flash instead!

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
You miss the point of why that company has a website that looks and works like it does. That company does not exist to serve content to you. I'm guessing you're not a designer by trade?

Well I wouldn't chose them to make my projects if I can't find the content I want fast and easy.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
What defeat?

This is a situation where every one wins, but yet you talk of defeat?

Some folks see the world only as black-and-white where it's a zero sum game. So if they disagree with an Apple policy, why that means Apple is evil! And if Apple moves in a deliberate pace to change a policy after business factors call for that change, why that must mean Steve Jobs was humiliated and defeated!

This knee-jerk thinking is why we get so many emotional messages here.

You're right, this is a case where everyone wins, including Apple. But that requires more than black-and-white thinking where one side is good and one side is evil.

MrCubes

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
As a developer who has done more C# than Objective-C I will continue to use Objective-C when developing for iOS (actually a mix of Objective-C and C++). I feel it gets me closer to the architecture.

Furthermore I have a sinking feeling about opening the doors to cross-compiled Flash apps.

Nonetheless I welcome this as an overall very positive change, which addresses one of the more geniune complaints about app store policy (unfortunately many remain).

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
I'm guessing that the previous cheerleaders for Apple's lockout policy are cheering Apple's u-turn now, just quietly and in private.

No, you've seen them in this thread. They are just going to personally avoid Flash apps now.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Hopefully Flash 10.1 support for iOS is not too far off.

(since the rest of the ENTIRE world is working with Adobe to make it work, and work well on their devices... Apple would be foolish to ignore this out of spite)

That is a bit of a broad sweeping statement isn't it? Change is on the horizon, and as usual Apple is just a bit ahead of the curve.

Even Google's own homepage (on September 7th) had a very clever implementation of html5/javascript that mimics behavior that was previously only possible in flash (just Google it if you missed it). So Google recognizes the inevitable change, even though they have integrated flash into their Android operating system.

And as an Android user, I must say I was forced to disable flash due to battery life issues. So it is far from a successful implementation.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
How about the RIA's out there, http://www.revolutionehr.com which is a full medical records and practice management solution for eye care providers. Runs exceptionally well on a Mac (even better than on a PC according to many of our users).

Flash-Flex-SQL DB. Access anywhere, data in the cloud means not internal IT other than keeping a DSL/Cable modem and router working.

I agree, Flash ads and other crap that add no value to sites other than to delay opening are a detriment. Well written/coded Flash apps however provide solutions to many tasks.

Disclaimer, I'm a founder/owner of RevolutionEHR, but I doubt that too many of my eye doctor colleagues are skimming this forum for software recommendations.

John Warren, OD
VP Technology and Innovation, RevolutionEHR

I don't see any Flash on your site.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
As I keep on pinching myself & rubbing my eyes but can anyone confirm me that this means we're allowed to use Adobe's Flash-to-iPhone Complier for sure?????

I bought bunch of books to learn Objective-C & Java but this would be just SUPER time saver for me if I could do it in flash instead!

You might try learning Objective-C as well. It's a pretty cool language with a great dev environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.