Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:20 AM   #1
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Civilization V

Sorry first post went wrong. :-(

CivilizationV is due for release on the 21st September, is this date also for the the Mac edition?

If not does anybody know when the Mac edition will be released?
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:09 AM   #2
laserbeam273
macrumors 6502

Haven't heard of a mac version so far, I wouldn't expect one for at least another half a year considering Civ IV's mac performance.

Also, the specs are painfully high, particularly for the graphics card. My 2008 MBP is noticeably under the minimum for the graphics card.

See:
http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83251

Not even the latest MBPs score get Recommended. I suppose at least the game will look pretty... shame I'll barely be able to play it.
laserbeam273 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:23 AM   #3
txa1265
macrumors 6502a

There is no confirmation that I know of yet, but here is one tidbit:
Quote:
The rep was noncommittal, as you might expect, but he did say that every single previous version of Civilization has eventually come to the Mac, and that Civ V would probably not be an exception. He didn't have a timeline, but given the recent arrivals in the world of Mac gaming, I'd guess that it'll be sooner rather than later.
txa1265 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Shivetya
macrumors 65816

Looking forward to this game. After discovering I can run LOTRO using Parallels this gives me relief that I can run CIV without boot camping.

Now, the only problem will be to reclaim my life after I load CIV5
Old Sep 11, 2010, 11:14 PM   #5
scienide09
macrumors 65816

BTW, there is already an active thread on here for Civ5. It's been pretty quiet lately, likely because nothing concrete has been announced for a Mac version.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=866697

Me, I plan to play on my Windows partition via Boot Camp
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:27 AM   #6
byron_hinson
macrumors 6502

It is launching with steamworks so I'd assume same day and date
byron_hinson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:49 AM   #7
scienide09
macrumors 65816

The fact that CivV will be Steam-dependent means nothing as far as a launch date for a Mac version. You still need a developer to do the work of porting it to a Mac version, testing, QAing, ongoing maintenance via patches, etc. So far no company has come out and said they've partnered with Firaxis/2K et al to create a Mac version in time for launch day.

If and when it arrives, expect the Mac version to be a SteamPlay version (and hopefully free for Mac Steam users who purchased the PC version), but that when is still a big unanswered question.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:59 AM   #8
scienide09
macrumors 65816

For anyone interested, 2K has posted the game manual for the PC version on their website. Still nothing on a Mac version of Civ5, but at least we can browse the manual to see what's in store for the imminent release.

http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/feature_manual
Available in English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish versions
Old Oct 9, 2010, 02:44 PM   #9
mike in the STL
macrumors newbie

civ 5 terrain black?

I'm running (trying to) the PC version of Civ 5 on my imac with parallels. The terrain starts out ok then refreshes black. I messed with the video settings, no luck. Anyone encounter this?
mike in the STL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:53 AM   #10
ray648
macrumors regular

I've been giving the demo a go via vmware fusion on my 2007 imac. Graphics card is actually slightly below minimum spec, and I get odd graphic glitches sometimes. However, it seems if you are prepared to do without the fancy graphics, you can switch the game to what I think is called stategic mode or something like that, basically making it 2d. The game is then playable on older hardware, just not as pretty.
ray648 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2010, 08:00 AM   #11
gamer417
macrumors newbie

I have to get my hands on a copy of this, I used to play the Civilization games all the time. Can even remember back to the first one, gameplay and graphics was shocking in comparison now, haha.

Not heard much about the 5th release though, gonna hunt out some information
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:13 AM   #12
ibwb
macrumors regular

Anyone else hoping the Mac release of Civ5 will be announced tomorrow?

Consider: we have the rumor, reportedly from a good source, that the release is coming very soon. If so, why keep quiet about it? I could understand keeping quiet closer to the Windows release, to avoid cannibalizing sales, but surely that ship has largely sailed by now and it's time to build up excitement for the Mac release.

What if Steve wants to talk about Mac gaming tomorrow? Mac gaming is clearly in a better place than it's been for over a decade. We know he likes to make big, meaningful announcements at these things. Maybe get someone from Blizzard on to talk about how Starcraft 2 is doing on the Mac, etc but it would be even better if he could get some big title(s) announced. And for 2K Games? Their budget for Civ5 Mac marketing is likely tiny, so giving the surprise over to Apple would have a huge impact on awareness compared to anything they could do themselves.

They've certainly done similar things multiple times at iOS events so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
ibwb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:54 AM   #13
txa1265
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibwb View Post
What if Steve wants to talk about Mac gaming tomorrow?.
I hope he does - there have been a number of recent Steam milestones related to Mac gaming and they could really tout those ... I would love to see Mac gaming get featured the way iOS gaming does.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 08:02 AM   #14
txa1265
macrumors 6502a

Just saw that Aspyr has announced Civ V coming to the Mac 'for the holidays'.

Not sure, but my general though is that Aspyr means no Steam, means buy twice ... means no Civ V on Mac for me
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:13 PM   #15
Paulyboy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Just saw that Aspyr has announced Civ V coming to the Mac 'for the holidays'.

Not sure, but my general though is that Aspyr means no Steam, means buy twice ... means no Civ V on Mac for me
It looks like Civ V Mac will utilize Steamworks:

http://www.igameradio.com/2010/10/20...civ-v-for-mac/

Probably will be something like the situation with Supreme Commander 2.

-PN
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:05 PM   #16
mongrol
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulyboy View Post
It looks like Civ V Mac will utilize Steamworks:

http://www.igameradio.com/2010/10/20...civ-v-for-mac/

Probably will be something like the situation with Supreme Commander 2.

-PN
Steamworks != SteamPlay. You'll still have to buy twice.
mongrol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 06:18 PM   #17
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrol View Post
Yes, just like with SupCom 2, as he said...
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:21 AM   #18
txa1265
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
Yes, just like with SupCom 2, as he said...
Aw crap ... just as I got my hopes up
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:51 AM   #19
Epsilon88
macrumors 6502

I was excited, but has anyone else found that they've developed Civilization fatigue? I've happily purchased numbers 2, 3, and 4, but this time around I've actually lost interest.
Epsilon88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:57 AM   #20
TheBadHatter
macrumors newbie

Mac version vs. Win version in Bootcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by txa1265 View Post
Aw crap ... just as I got my hopes up
Since it looks like I'll need to make a choice between waiting for the Mac version of Civ V and buying the Win version to run on Bootcamp, does anyone have any recommendations on which would run better, based on other games that have been ported over?

Has anyone done a straight up comparison of other games available for both OSX and Win 7?

I'm new to gaming on a Mac, but just got the new 27" iMac w/ i7.
TheBadHatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 02:51 PM   #21
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Games will always run better in windows.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:48 PM   #22
Catonow
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadHatter View Post
Since it looks like I'll need to make a choice between waiting for the Mac version of Civ V and buying the Win version to run on Bootcamp, does anyone have any recommendations on which would run better, based on other games that have been ported over?

Has anyone done a straight up comparison of other games available for both OSX and Win 7?

I'm new to gaming on a Mac, but just got the new 27" iMac w/ i7.
The performance differences are negligible, if any. More importantly, if you get the Mac version, you won't have to bother with Bootcamp, you can play within the superior, quicker-to-start-up Mac OSX environment.
Catonow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:48 PM   #23
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Aspyr's Civ IV port sucked, though, and you often have to wait weeks for patches. I hope they include the PC version with the Mac version, like SupCom 2.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 11:23 PM   #24
PatrickCocoa
macrumors 6502a

No Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon88 View Post
I was excited, but has anyone else found that they've developed Civilization fatigue? I've happily purchased numbers 2, 3, and 4, but this time around I've actually lost interest.
I've bought and played Civ, Civ II, Civ III, and Civ IV. I've played the Windows demo of Civ V. There's a lot to like in Civ V, but it seems to be fairly "bloodless" and lacking tension. Maybe I've just caught a case of Civ-fatigue after 20 years of playing it, but it V seems unexciting.

In the demo, even on the higher difficulties, I've won maybe 19 battles against the barbarians and lost one. I've had two or three barbarians attack my undefended city - cities can bombard now, and the barbarian just stood there until I bombarded it to death (about three turns).

I'm guessing they got a lot of feedback that players didn't want to invest a couple of hours in the early game, only to have their cities overrun by barbarians. But that tension and fear was one of the main attractions to me.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:13 AM   #25
Epsilon88
macrumors 6502

Glad that I'm not the only one who's a little disappointed. It has gotten great reviews tho.
Epsilon88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games