Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
Hex is fine with me... I just hope they do something to improve the gameplay. I used to play Civ III for hours, but Civ IV was a little underwhelming for me.

Zortrium

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
same here (i actually still play III a lot)

didn't care for IV

I'm curious why you didn't care for 4...I never played 3, but as someone who loved 2, I think 4 kicks ass (and I think most people prefer 4 to 3). It took me a little while to get used to the interface (initially I thought I didn't like it), but there's really nothing that bothers me about 4 now.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Civ II was obviously the best of the series, but what bugged me about 3 and really bugged me about IV was how much of a hog it became late in the game. I remember it taking like 10 minutes for all the other civs to go through their move orders after a while, it was mind-boggling.

Anyway, looks kind of cool. Might buy it depending on time and price.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
Add me to the 'prefer IV to III' camp, and with all the expansions I've played IV more than II ... and *definitely* getting V.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
Sweeeeet. This is one of about 3 games I actually play other than Tetris and such.

Civ II was obviously the best of the series, but what bugged me about 3 and really bugged me about IV was how much of a hog it became late in the game. I remember it taking like 10 minutes for all the other civs to go through their move orders after a while, it was

Yeah, that used to drive me crazy. Although Civ3 isn't bad at all on recent hardware (you can currently get a legal download for $5, and it plays great on a cheapo laptop from 2007), it was a beast when it first came out.

I also wish it were possible to play a game slightly less epic in scope. It gets to be frustrating that it takes like 3 days to finish a game unless you go for conquering the world during the Bronze age. It tends to get saggy about halfway through, and I end up starting a new game because it's more interesting than micro-managing city production through dozens of turns.

racketeer71

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Will there be a proper Mac version?

In my experience, the Steam version of CivIV is easier on my hardware, than the official port for OS X. It's run more smooth, though it seems absurd.

We will probably be left hanging (unless we purchase the Steam version of V) for 9 months before a port is made for Mac. One of the supporters at Aspyr once let it slip, that the CivIV code was a huge pile of something smelly - something that Aspyr quickly back-pedaled on.

Edit:
Post #188 is where Aspyr comment on the quality of the CivIV code: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=214101&page=10

I would think that Civilization, would be the kind of game that could easily be designed for Windows+OS X at the same time. It's not graphics intensive, and the developers shouldn't have to squeeze in a lot of tweaks to get a few more FPS... It's mostly about game logic, which should be the same on both platforms. In moving around in a HEX world, OpenGL should be quite sufficient.

Edit 2:
And when I said it runs better on Steam, I didn't meant "Steam via bootcamp" but "Steam via CrossOver Games".

RyanP1980

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2010
I'm a longtime PC user and I think I'm set on switching to a Mac as soon as the new line of Macbook Pros comes out. I'm also a Civ fanatic...can anyone give me a quick rundown of what I will actually need to run this game on a Mac? I know it involves running boot camp, but do I need my own copy of windows to install onto the computer? I guess I'm not completely sure of what bootcamp entails, and how easy it is to use. Any answers are appreciated.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Interesting.

While I'm a big time strategy gamer, I've never really gotten into Civilization, for some reason. But I'll monitor this for sure.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I'm a longtime PC user and I think I'm set on switching to a Mac as soon as the new line of Macbook Pros comes out. I'm also a Civ fanatic...can anyone give me a quick rundown of what I will actually need to run this game on a Mac? I know it involves running boot camp, but do I need my own copy of windows to install onto the computer? I guess I'm not completely sure of what bootcamp entails, and how easy it is to use. Any answers are appreciated.

Bootcamp is an Apple utility to dual boot, along with Windows Drivers and utilities ... Windows itself is something YOU need to provide.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Hex is actually better... if you're defensive.

With squares, one had to fortify against attacks from 8 sides. With a hexagon, it's only 6 sides to attack from. Otherwise.. does this mean each settlement will have less resources available or more?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006

With squares, one had to fortify against attacks from 8 sides. With a hexagon, it's only 6 sides to attack from. Otherwise.. does this mean each settlement will have less resources available or more?

I'd imagine the mechanics will be changed to reflect the decreased number of tiles available to each city.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
My hope is that they increase the size of area each settlement can directly control for resources, as to reduce the overall number of settlements. Going the opposite way would suck in terms of domination victories.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
My hope is that they increase the size of area each settlement can directly control for resources, as to reduce the overall number of settlements. Going the opposite way would suck in terms of domination victories.

Yeah, that's something that definitely needs to be fixed. I remember the few times I played Civ4 online I quit in disgust because all of the retards (although I can't fault them for exploiting a valid strategy) built cities two tiles apart. It was impossible to break all of them.

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York

there are mac versions of III and IV (not sure about older ones)

DrewD67

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
Peterborough, UK

I did read on one of the game sites that ranged attacks would be coming in, so more attacking options.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.