Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:10 AM   #1
fcervera
macrumors newbie

iBank vs Money3 vs MoneyDance

Hi,
I'm looking for personal budgeting software. I've done several hours worth of research on these three and cant seem to find a clear winner.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping someone has had experience with a couple of these and can point me in the right direction. Thank you!!
fcervera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:22 AM   #2
jacksam101
macrumors member

I use MMEX (Money Manager Ex) from Codelathe

(www.codelathe.com/mmex) and had had no issues with it at all.

Its released under GNU licence as can be used quite simply (as I do) or produce all sorts of reports on the many accounts you can keep a record of.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:42 AM   #3
rumbletum
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to rumbletum Send a message via AIM to rumbletum Send a message via MSN to rumbletum Send a message via Skype™ to rumbletum
I've used iBank & MoneyDance, and out of the two I preferred iBank
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:30 AM   #4
miles01110
macrumors 604

Mint.com
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:33 AM   #5
MaxBeagleton
macrumors member

Moneydance

I have purchased both iBank and Moneydance. iBank was okay, but reconciling was awkward, in my opinon. I switched to Monedance and found it a little better. One very good thing about Moneydance is that the iPhone app is free AND works very well, while iBank charges $4.99.

Coming from a long history of PCs, there is simply nothing that has yet compared to MS Money. Sadly, MS decided to kill MS Money and is one of the reasons I have switched to MACs.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:46 AM   #6
swiftaw
macrumors 603

I'm still running MS Money 2004 through Parallels.
swiftaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:20 PM   #7
Weaselboy
macrumors P6

I like Moneywell. Excellent support from the dev and a iPhone app to go along with it.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:35 PM   #8
fcervera
macrumors newbie

Thank you for the input everyone

It looks like I might have found a winner. It's a little on the pricey side but seems to get the job done. It's YNOB.
fcervera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:42 PM   #9
TonyK
macrumors 6502

When I switched nearly 3 years ago, moving from Windows/Quicken to OS X, I had to find a financial program that fit my needs.

After downloading and trying both MoneyDance and iBank, I paid for MoneyDance. Importing my Quicken 10+ year file proved pretty easy and setting up an extension to check some stocks was also pretty easy.

Updates so far have been free and have been very pleased with it.
TonyK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:25 PM   #10
mikepro
macrumors 6502

I've been using Quicken on a PC for well over 10 years. Just recently made the switch to a Macbook Pro. Love it, but was shocked to find no Quicken for Mac.

My solution? I plan to bootcamp or do parallels for Win 7, but in the meantime, I decided to give mint.com a try. I love it! No reconciling, has a great iPhone app. I like how it consolidates my credit cards and checking account all in one view. Pretty slick interface, nice budgeting. It's free, why don;t you give it a try and see if it could work for you?

The only downside is no online bill pay. But, I can do that through my banks web interface, which is not too bad.

I see no reason to keep using Quicken.
mikepro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:47 AM   #11
kidkasha
macrumors member

stocks & Investments

What do yu use for tracking stocks and investments
kidkasha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:04 AM   #12
TonyK
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkasha View Post
What do yu use for tracking stocks and investments
MoneyDance has an extension for that. Also iBank released a new version this week.
TonyK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:49 AM   #13
B.A.T
macrumors 6502

I bought ibank last xmas and could never get it to import files from Wells Fargo. I just installed the trial version of the new version and same problem. Totally useless for me.
B.A.T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:23 AM   #14
richpjr
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepro View Post
I've been using Quicken on a PC for well over 10 years. Just recently made the switch to a Macbook Pro. Love it, but was shocked to find no Quicken for Mac.

My solution? I plan to bootcamp or do parallels for Win 7, but in the meantime, I decided to give mint.com a try. I love it! No reconciling, has a great iPhone app. I like how it consolidates my credit cards and checking account all in one view. Pretty slick interface, nice budgeting. It's free, why don;t you give it a try and see if it could work for you?

The only downside is no online bill pay. But, I can do that through my banks web interface, which is not too bad.

I see no reason to keep using Quicken.
There is a version for the Mac - Quicken Essentials. It's missing a lot compared to the Windows version, but it is available.
richpjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store