Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In late July, Apple announced a new 27" LED Cinema Display, set for launch in the "September" timeframe to replace the existing 24" LED Cinema Display and 30" Cinema Display, which are seeing remaining stock being depleted before being officially discontinued. With September now half over, customers have been anxious for an update on the possible release of the new 27" display, and signs are beginning to appear hinting at a release in the near future.

230733-27_inch_display_mac_pro.jpg

Apple's Mac Pro customization page as it appeared earlier this week
As noted by 9 to 5 Mac a few days ago, the customization pages for Mac Pro orders placed through Apple's online store were displaying updated descriptions advertising the 27-inch display as an option, despite the fact that only the 24" and 30" models remained available as selections. While Apple's site has since been reverted to omit descriptions of the 27" display, it is clear that some adjustments were going on behind the scenes that suggest preparations for launch of the new display may be underway.

230733-displays_unavailable_australia.jpg

Apple's 30" and 24" displays currently unavailable in Australian online store
That hint has now been followed by the apparent complete discontinuation of the 24" and 30" displays in several international online Apple stores such as those for Australia and New Zealand. While the models showed availability of "within 24 hours" just a day or two ago, the stores now list the models as "Currently Unavailable".

Officially, Apple continues to list the 27" display as "Coming September" in the U.S. and a number of other markets, while Apple's sites for Australia and New Zealand simply note that the new model is "Coming Soon". It appears, however, that based on the continuing changes to Apple's online store listing and availabilities, Apple may be preparing to take orders for the new 27" LED display in the very near future.

Article Link: Hints Increasingly Point to Impending Launch of Apple's 27" LED Cinema Display

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
They can keep the thing as far as I'm concerned. Offering a premium level screen with 72% gamut, 16:9 ratio and glossy screen is stupid. I'm sure the suckers wil buy it though . I'm more looking forward to the new Dell 30 inch that has a much wider gamut, matte screen, more ports, and comes from the factory with color calibration.

iWonderwhy

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
I'm generally not a display buyer, but how do the Apple cinema display prices compare with similar offerings from the rest of the market?

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I might just be getting a secondary display for me 27inch imac :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
They can keep the thing as far as I'm concerned. Offering a premium level screen with 72% gamut, 16:9 ratio and glossy screen is stupid. I'm sure the suckers wil buy it though . I'm more looking forward to the new Dell 30 inch that has a much wider gamut, matte screen, more ports, and comes from the factory with color calibration.

Totally with you there. Apple have decided to leave that market to others. Fine by me... the last Dell display I purchased for work was superb, not cheap, but worth every penny.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir

With you - better displays can be found elsewhere for less money. This is one Apple product where that line is actually true in my opinion.

The only thing the Apple display has going for it is the looks. Oh and the nice logo. :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Any chances of other updates when it's released?
The rumored MacBook Air from awhile ago?

Haven't you been paying attention? People are expecting the release of a new 27" MacBook Air at the same time. :D

At first glance you might think it'll be way too heavy - but leaked specs show that, under the case, there are two parallel hovercraft-style fans. So not only will it be light as a feather, your lap will always be nice and cool.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

K, I'm a sucker then. Release this thing already!

With you - better displays can be found elsewhere for less money. This is one Apple product where that line is actually true in my opinion.

The only thing the Apple display has going for it is the looks. Oh and the nice logo. :)

You mean like how the Dell U2711 is actually priced higher than the ACD at $1099? ;)

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010

Is it really going to be glossy screen only? What is it with Apple and glossy screens right now?

H. Flower

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
how is a display a Mac.....

unless you were attempting to be witty complaining like how everyone is anytime an article is about an iOS device... But I feel like you were mocking how you are surprised that this rumor is actually about a Mac.

But... it's not.

Display != Mac

Come on, man.

Come on.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
The best thing about this display is the new ambient light sensor. Now those of us who work in really bright environments during the day don't need to fiddle with the brightness as day turns to night.

And I think i'll be able to deal with the transition from matte to glossy. The increased contrast and saturation, and lower black levels will definitely be a plus.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
This is a pretty solid display. Sure, there are better displays but what really matters is the content that you create with this. Not some spec about aspect ratio, gamut and glossy. Glossy is more color accurate than matte anyway, unless you factor in sunlight, if you really know your specs. That being said, I do prefer matte but not because of color accuracy, but because I sometimes work in areas with glare. For a desktop setting, matte doesn't belong. Aspect ratio doesn't really matter either, with most displays are going 16:9 in the PC world.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Any chances of other updates when it's released?
The rumored MacBook Air from awhile ago?
iLife?
iWork?

My thoughts as well... I don't think apple would schedule a release ONLY for a display. But, what would be updated alongside it? iLife/iWork? No, that's software. No point in pairing those unless they're hopelessly intermarried, like iPod/iTunes. MBA? I sure hope so, but why pair a laptop with a display? The two can be used together, but that's not the general intention. The Pro and Mini were just updated, so there's little chance of any event surrounding those. The iMac is usually sold on the virtue of its built-in screen, so nothing there.

It's too big to be a quiet update, not big enough to have an event unto itself. If the ACD is updated in the next 4 months, the timing will be really weird on Apple's part...

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
Dual 27" LED's

i'm buying one, heck for $999 i may get two, i will not pay $1799 for Apple's 30-inch cinema for that price i might as well drop $200 more and get two 27" inch for the price of one Apple 30" but if Apple drops the price on the 30" to $1199-$1299 then i might pick up the 30" instead of the 27" but that's unlikely to happen but the funny thing is Apple discontinued the 30"inch why not lower the price, Apple will get rid of the 30" really fast if Apple drops the price

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
how is a display a Mac.....

unless you were attempting to be witty complaining like how everyone is anytime an article is about an iOS device... But I feel like you were mocking how you are surprised that this rumor is actually about a Mac.

But... it's not.

Display != Mac
Yeah, it was an attempt at wittiness.
Display is far more Mac than iOS.
Even Apple puts it under the Mac section.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-15 at 11.18.02 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-15 at 11.18.02 PM.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 158

Zincous

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2008
Sacramento CA
My thoughts as well... I don't think apple would schedule a release ONLY for a display. But, what would be updated alongside it? iLife/iWork? No, that's software. No point in pairing those unless they're hopelessly intermarried, like iPod/iTunes. MBA? I sure hope so, but why pair a laptop with a display? The two can be used together, but that's not the general intention. The Pro and Mini were just updated, so there's little chance of any event surrounding those. The iMac is usually sold on the virtue of its built-in screen, so nothing there.

It's too big to be a quiet update, not big enough to have an event unto itself. If the ACD is updated in the next 4 months, the timing will be really weird on Apple's part...

The new Apple TV :rolleyes:

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Is it really going to be glossy screen only? What is it with Apple and glossy screens right now?

Two things

1) Media consumers (as opposed to graphic artest and photographers) like bright shinny color and don't care to much for accuracy. More people are consumers (this means games and TV watching) than are into making stuff so why not sell to the larger crowd?

2) The way to make an anti-glar monitor is to first make a monitor then apply an anti-glare coating. It is cheaper if you skip the second step

Reflective or "non-anti-glare" monitors are like lite beer. Some beer company exec really earned his pay when he said "why don't we add water to the beer and some how make the idiots, er customers think it is better with the added water? I don't know, call it lite beer or something, we'd save a bundle." Some guy at Apple had the idea that they might some how be able to sell monitors with no anti-reflection coatings, I don't know call them glossy or something.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
The new Apple TV :rolleyes:

I think you'll be right on that. But Stevie did say the new Apple TV was shipping out in 4 weeks (from the keynote), which means the ACD would be shipping out end of September :(

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
They can keep this over priced glossy display. At our lab, we have a bunch of iMacs with glossy displays; it's like a room full of mirrors. They are terrible unless you make the room dark. I'm sure the 27" is going to be pretty, but will it be functional compared to what you can get from Dell or NEC? I think not.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Don't some of you guys think it's weird that Apple makes mistakes like this about "future" products? It's hard to believe that the second largest publicly traded company in the world does this on accident; I can't help but think they do it on purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.