Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Yeah. So true. Stop with the matte vs. glossy discussion already it's a dead end. Yes an option would be nice, but for a desktop display I don't really care.

What drivesme insane, though, is the different HEIGHT. According to the pictures on Apples website the 27" ACD "starts" lower than the 27" iMac does.
Sure, it doesn't matter for MBP or MacPro folks. But for folks who want to extend their iMac (and let's face it, performance-wise the i7 iMac entered workstation territory) this is just madness. I really hope the ACD on the page is rendered wrong (like the iPod touches with a Phone icon) or underwent a last minute change. I sure don't want to make up stupid reasons to customers as to why they are different. I foresee, though, that I will.

Previous iMacs did not line up with same size ACDs so I see no reason why this will be different. The reason they don't is because the cinema display would have a huge gap from the bottom of the stand and it would look awkward. If you want them to line up, Apple has a solution, it is called a vesa mount.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Looking forward to it... Having used iMac's for the past 5 years and trying as many as a 1/2 dozen other brand monitors (including Dells)... none of them have the viewing angle that an iMac has.

Can't stand colors changing when I move around.

From memory (I'm not sitting in front of the display right now) the Dell displays I specced were S-IPS panels, in the vicinity of about US$1200. No colour shifts.

How is your money going towards Dell a better decision? They are even less "pro" than Apple displays. Dell targets their displays at gamers who only care about response time and HDMI input, not features Mac customers want like a webcam, built in speakers, ambient light sensor, or magsafe power.

Dell's TrueColour UltraSharps aren't in this category and I've never seen a webcam or any of these other fripperies in any studio I've worked in. For those who can't find the cash for an Eizo or Barco, and yet still want something decent that can raise and tilt properly, they're worth looking at. And yes, I use a colour calibrator.

To me, the new Apple displays are primarily aimed at a different market these days: the domestic convergence of TV, iOS-type devices and computers.

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
Great more mirrors. The best Apple monitor was the 30"

agreed on the mirrors............. no more for me

sell bling to the unconcerned masses

i just hate having to do critical editing of photographs with a black curtain behind me, or working on a shiny monitor in a bright environment

nothing wrong with my old 2006 iMac 20 with it's matte screen

i know quite a few graphic designers who avoid iMacs and apple screens for the same reason, maybe apple sells enough blingy stuff to be flippant about a matte screen option

francois

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
They can keep the thing as far as I'm concerned. Offering a premium level screen with 72% gamut, 16:9 ratio and glossy screen is stupid. I'm sure the suckers wil buy it though . I'm more looking forward to the new Dell 30 inch that has a much wider gamut, matte screen, more ports, and comes from the factory with color calibration.

Agreed. They really seem to be pushing the professionals towards competing products more and more.

They are focusing on the cash-cow which is the mass consumer market. The only thing that will matter to that group is if Avatar looks pretty. A shame really, they used to be the leaders in these displays.

Dell's TrueColour UltraSharps aren't in this category and I've never seen a webcam or any of these other fripperies in any studio I've worked in. For those who can't find the cash for an Eizo or Barco, and yet still want something decent that can raise and tilt properly, they're worth looking at. And yes, I use a colour calibrator.

To me, the new Apple displays are primarily aimed at a different market these days: the domestic convergence of TV, iOS-type devices and computers.

Exactly.

Abacab

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2008
Apple/Dell

I have a Dell 27 in the office that is great. It's my understanding that they use the same parts? Can anybody confirm?
The 30 is a monster but i think overpriced.

bmacir

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2009
Just automatically assume that the 27" ACD will be the best monitor out there right when it hits the market. Just do it.

Well, the specs already show that it's the best one out there (to my knowledge it's the only LED ips 27" display with that kind of resolution on the market right now, but correct me if I'm wrong) and although the monitor has not been released yet, you have already the chance to try it out on a 27" iMac, I am pretty sure it will be exactly the same panel.

racketeer71

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
Previous iMacs did not line up with same size ACDs so I see no reason why this will be different. The reason they don't is because the cinema display would have a huge gap from the bottom of the stand and it would look awkward. If you want them to line up, Apple has a solution, it is called a vesa mount.

And that would be GREAT, because your MBP could then fit below in an opened state so you had 2 concurrent screens on top of each other (which is far cooler, than having the MBP screen to the right of the larger screen).

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Gamut shamut. If you need better color representation then I'm sure you know where to find it. As for me, a research ecologist I don't concern myself so much with how perfect my photo's color representation is - I actually don't print most of them anyway.

Isn't the main reason people buy these displays is so that they can "upgrade" their macbook pro's to an iMac experience? I've been working on the 24" for about a year now and find the color representation, brightness, and viewing angle excellent. As a caveat though, I do not have a window behind me. In addition, the built in speakers and camera push this beauty over the top as a desktop replacement. I don't need or want two macs - I just sold an iMac to reduce my possessions. I do however want mobility and the screen real estate. Plus, if in the future I want another mac I can just plug in a mac mini. Really this monitor is targeted at those that don't have, want, or need an iMac.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
Only when there is a lot of lighting and when the computers are turned off. Dell and NEC both sell glossy displays but also offer matte options. So your logic doesn't make sense in either situation. Matte is form over function. It reduces glare but the main point of a monitor is to see what's being displayed. Glossy doesn't block light, matte coatings do.

Matte screens diffract the light. Diffraction of light is not the same as blocking of light.

Speaking of form over function, have you considered color space differences? The screens from Dell and HP that the 27 inch will compete against offer much wider color gamut of 110%+ (of the NTSC color space). The Apple screes, including the 27 inch model, only offers a 72% gamut. While this may be lost upon the Point and Shoot set; if you spend thousands on dSLR camera bodies, lenses, post processing software and the like and shoot in 14-bit raw files, then the benefit of having this wider color space on your screen becomes very apparent.

I have a Dell 27 in the office that is great. It's my understanding that they use the same parts? Can anybody confirm?
The 30 is a monster but i think overpriced.

H-IPS panel, yes most likely. Backlight, no. The Dell U2711 uses CCFL whereas the Apple uses LED.

I lol when I see people deem themselves as professionals who need "utmost color accuracy" yet buy $400 monitors :rolleyes:. For high end stuff, Lacie, Eizo, and NEC all make very nice high end monitors that you will pay DEARLY for.

Apple is the closest I can get without breaking $2000 or more so I am quite content. My prints match my 24inch ACD perfectly so I'm happy :D

Its also amazing how many of these "pros" don't have calibration equipment :eek:

When it comes to monitors, it can be one of those 'skies the limit' things. However, if you look at the competition at the same price point and less, which is the most fair thing to do I think, the Apple 27 inch monitor really lags behind in performance and warranty coverage. Sure a 5,000$ Color Edge from Eizo will whip the Apple, but so will a 800$ one from Dell.... and they offer a 3 year warranty as STANDARD

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
New Design

I hope to see a new design for the Apple displays. It needs to be way thinner and less or no bezel around the edge. Heck, the new LED Samsung TVs are only about .5 inches thick and it looks WAY SEXY. Why not the Apple displays??

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
A mirror that lacks HDMI, sorry Apple, Dell wins this one for me.

The rumor is sort of useless through. Apple said a September release. Its September 16th. So wow, the rumor thinks the release will be soon. Hmmm, you think maybe within the next 2 weeks?

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Apple needs to add multiple ports (HDMI in addition to existing port) and add IR for control by harmony remote so you can use this as part of an entertainment system. Sure a larger TV is more likely in many cases but in a small room this could double as TV/monitor.

And why not allow for the new apple tv connection by hdmi anyway? Apple should allow computers to use the appletv as a monitor in general, not just for playing video (you should be able to see the desktop and other apps).

Also I wonder if Apple will make new desktops with the same power port? In that case, the desktop is powered from the monitor as would be a laptop. Otherwise you will have the power cord portion dangling loose when you connect the monitor to a desk top; unless they offer a second cord without the power cord portion. Anyway this will be a complete reverse of power transfer from the old days where the monitor plugged into the desktop for power.

btw - I too prefer matte screens. I even prefer matte photos to glossy photos.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Matte screens are NOT only for graphic pros fyi. I am not in a graphics-related industry, I'm just a regular consumer, and I cannot stand glossy screens. I will not even consider buying a machine that only has a glossy screen.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
Anyone else think this will have AppleTV built in? Have I just skipped a dozen post that say the same thing? Sorry if I did.

well it's been rumored that Apple will go this way within the next 2-4 years,releasing a full TV which will have everything built in of course.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
the 24''cinema display is the best display of all time! good luck moving your head left to right with the new 27''.

16:9? boooooooooooooooooo

Moskiller

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
And what about the refresh of the Macbook Air and the Macbook Pro 13"? I need to buy one of them but I don't want that old Core 2 Duo anymore... Damn :(

Any news?

skyline r34

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
San Diego
For all who complaining about Apple new displays, it just simple just don't buy it, You guys knew that Apple was heading this direction for there displays but yet your STILL complaining, I would of thought by now you would of picked up that 30" Dell, HP or Apple instead wasting your time here

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.