Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sick70malibu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Would it be possible to get a logic board with a 1.33ghz or faster processor out of a 12.1" G4 and swap it in to a G3? Are the parts even compatible? I know from building engines that certain years and parts are interchangable but I don't know about computers.

Thanks

sick70malibu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
Forgive me for asking the stupid question, but why exactly is it not possible? Judging from the pictures it looks to me that the different boards mount differently in different cases?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Forgive me for asking the stupid question, but why exactly is it not possible? Judging from the pictures it looks to me that the different boards mount differently in different cases?

If the cases and the boards are different, how should one fit into the other?

Maybe someone already did that, otherwise we wouldn't really know. Have you found any examples of someone putting a G4 logic board into a G3 iBook?

They look similar, but they are not, even if it is only mm in some places.

G3 12" iBook logic board
IBG3800LOG.jpg

G4 12" iBook logic board
IB412LOG12.jpg

sick70malibu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2010
But in theory would a little bit of massaging with a file a bit of sand paper and asteady touch help? Or would it just be best to start from scratch and do a fresh custom build?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.