Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Both AppleInsider and Think Secret report that Apple has seeded a new developer's pre-release build of OS X 10.4 Tiger Server (8A325). In light of the recent legal filings against developer builds being released into the wild, Apple has included the following note in bold red:
"PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE IS APPLE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. YOUR UNAUTHORIZED DISTRIBUTION OF PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE OR DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION RELATING TO PRE-RELEASE SOFTWARE (INCLUDING THE POSTING OF SCREEN SHOTS) MAY SUBJECT YOU TO BOTH CIVIL AND CRIMINAL LIABILITY AND RESULT IN IMMEDIATE TERMINATION OF YOUR ADC MEMBERSHIP."

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
So is Tiger Server coming out same time as Tiger OS?
I hope it is alittle better than the last server OS. One of my friends who is in IT wasn't impressed with the last version.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC
Yowza! :eek:

I guess they really mean bizness now. Makes you wonder what's new and gooy in Tiger to have Apple in such an uproar. Hmm, just wish I had a dev machine to install it on atm. :(

Curses Steve! Where's my dual 3Ghz machine! :D

basehart

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2002
New Tiger Server news means....Torrents!!!

No doubt every so called Mac rumour site at this point is wondering how long it will be before they are named as accessories to a crime by releasing news of a new application which is only normally available to people who have registered themselves as developers and signed a NDA to become so.

What is, in fact, happening every time a "story" like this is published is a thousand people suddlenly log into their torrents site and start downloading the new build.

So the fact that I pay over a $1000 a year to recieve these builds directly from Apple makes me a little pissed off when people are getting this stuff for free.

windywalks

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2004
It's almost here

Just can't wait for Tiger. I thought they add such release notes to every dev release? Well, whatever... We'll finally see it in exactly no time so no need to hush and get a dev release.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
basehart said:
So the fact that I pay over a $1000 a year to recieve these builds directly from Apple makes me a little pissed off when people are getting this stuff for free.

Feel the same about music downloads? I pay alot through ITMS, but still many of my friends still download the same songs illegally...
No offence intended, but it should make you feel good that you deservedly get the Tiger builds. You shouldn't care about the illegal downloads.

feeze

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2004
Bathurst, Australia
basehart said:

Welcome to the world of piracy!!!!!

I really can't blame Apple for being so defensive about it's products. It really sucks but they do have a business to run and protect afterall. I guess they're still sore over the whole Microsoft thing. Once bitten, twice shy as they say.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
basehart said:
No doubt every so called Mac rumour site at this point is wondering how long it will be before they are named as accessories to a crime by releasing news of a new application which is only normally available to people who have registered themselves as developers and signed a NDA to become so.

What is, in fact, happening every time a "story" like this is published is a thousand people suddlenly log into their torrents site and start downloading the new build.

The best thing is, none of these people are actually developers... they're all halfassed users that don't know what they're doing, then come and complain about damage the OS caused, and ask how to uninstall it. I'll offer help on any topic that comes up, except idiots that get pre-releases and then come crying back because they don't work right. How stupid can you be.

i'm glad apple is tightening the screws. if they want to stay ahead of the competition, they have to protect their development. God only knows how many of those torrent downloads are by MS engineers...

paul

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
MacsRgr8 said:
I pay alot through ITMS, but still many of my friends still download the same songs illegally...

Don't fret too much over it. Your friends will burn in Hell and you will go to Heaven.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
Geez

The next thing you know, the rumor sites won't even be able to comment on the fact that a new build has been seeded . . . Then you get sued for even divulging "top secret" information saying that Apple has made changes to its beta Apple OS, then the next thing you know, you can't even say the word tiger, becuase apple has it written in their NDA. . . . :rolleyes:

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Sir_Giggles said:
Don't fret too much over it. Your friends will burn in Hell and you will go to Heaven.

Exactly :D

That was the point I was making to basehart ;)

edit (to clarify):
Point I was making is that I don't care if I pay for music which others get for free.
Good for them if they get what they want for free. same goes for software.... Me no saint either :rolleyes:

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
ok.. On the one hand I agree with Apple. They're clawing their way back into relivance and trying their best to out-flank M$ and leaks will give away info to certain enemies..

On the other hand, don't you think Bill Gates has an ADC membership? My gues is, hell yeah.

I think capping the leaks is 99.9% about stopping the circulation of "free" software and the rest is keeping the cat in the bag.

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
paulwhannel said:
God only knows how many of those torrent downloads are by MS engineers...

paul

No, I bet the Office developers as Microsoft either have paid for legit builds, or they get them for free as part of some agreement.

David

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
So apple posts a big warning on the latest seed about not leaking it and it's leaked immedaitely?

There must be some dumb and/or illiterate programmers and developers out there :confused:

Maybe they are colorblind?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
LEgregius said:
No, I bet the Office developers as Microsoft either have paid for legit builds, or they get them for free as part of some agreement.

David

True, but I'll bet that contract is especially tight... The builds never leave the application side to windows engineers. Though there may be overlap... come to think of it, how *does* Apple manage this?

Or do they just assume once it's in developer-release status, that the competition will see it? Certainly industrial espionage is well-established in this industry.

But I stand my by assessment that Apple is better off by enforcing the contracts. Non-developing users should wait until the final release.

paul

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
Some_Big_Spoon said:
ok.. On the one hand I agree with Apple. They're clawing their way back into relivance and trying their best to out-flank M$ and leaks will give away info to certain enemies..

On the other hand, don't you think Bill Gates has an ADC membership? My gues is, hell yeah.

I think capping the leaks is 99.9% about stopping the circulation of "free" software and the rest is keeping the cat in the bag.

It almost seems to me that they have nothing to lose by letting people "Illegally" download builds. I agree that MS certainly has them anyway due to working on Office for Mac, and people getting beta builds will make them want the final version. However, I would bet that Apple is clamping down on it because it's their "personality" to be secretive. The only other reason I can think of is that they want developers to pay $500 for it :). I, however, am a firm believer that people who are willing to pay $500 will pay it, and the people who would download it "illegally" would just live without it if they couldn't. I think very few people who downloaded would pay for it if they couldn't.

Besides, once the final build has gone gold, many more torrents will be out for the final, and it wouldn't be in Apple's best interests to sue so many of their customers. Unlike with Windows users, people who can run OSX, are pretty much guaranteed to own a piece of Apple hardware, virtualization software aside.

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Woo hoo Apple! Nice to see the Tiger updates are still rolling, and that Apple's serious about this no-piracy stuff. (Referring to the red-boldness and the sueageism. :D ;) )

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
In the other forum about apple suing I posted this. (It was late so I am posting this earlier to see if anyone has any interest.

I submitted a possible MacPolls idea a few months ago and would like to see if there is interest in it. I am curious to see how much pirated software people have on their computers (measured in US dollar amounts). The poll could be $0, $1-$200, $201-$500, $501-$1,000, $1,001-$2,000, $2,001-$5,000, $5,001+ (or something like that.) The value would reflect the MSRP prices. Is there interest in this sort of thing?

I think it applies because leaking these builds is software piracy.

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
I can wait...

All these people are going to make software keys necessary. I just hate that. Not because I'm doing anything wrong, but because I've always loved that it wasn't necessary.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
tex210 said:
All these people are going to make software keys necessary. I just hate that. Not because I'm doing anything wrong, but because I've always loved that it wasn't necessary.

For the love of god, the OS is not going to require a CD key any time soon, the validation is the Apple hardware itself, OS X can't run (decently) on anything but an Apple computer, Apple makes their money of hardware, (iPods
:mad: ) but that's a different story. If you want to run OS X you get an Apple computer, Apple pretty much gives the OS away.

I am not saying that makes it OK for people to leak and download tiger or any software, far from it, it's just people are totally overacting, it's not like this is the first crackdown of piracy in internet history, and it won't be the last.

desdomg

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Perhaps if Apple started to pay and treat their employees better then there wouldnt be any leaks - we all know that workers take the benefits they beleive they are entitled to.

JoePike

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
My theory

paulwhannel said:
True, but I'll bet that contract is especially tight... The builds never leave the application side to windows engineers. Though there may be overlap... come to think of it, how *does* Apple manage this?

Here's how they handle it.....they let Microsoft have their developer copies of their OS software, and not worry about it. Why? Because it'll take the fellas up in Redmond three times as long to figure out how to steal the ideas or copy the functionalities and actually implement them than it took the fellas down in Cupertino to generate the ideas and program them in the first place. So what if Microsoft sees what Apple is doing? That doesn't put them any closer than 2006 to releasing "Longhorn", which may or may not include stolen features anyway, depending on whether Micro$$$oft is actually able to figure stuff out. By that time we'll all be running OSX 10.5 or something.

The theory is the same as the old addage: "If you give 100 chimps 100 typewriters and let them push keys randomly, eventually they will generate a Shakespeare play, but it'll take a really really really long time."

-Joe

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
swissmann said:
In the other forum about apple suing I posted this. (It was late so I am posting this earlier to see if anyone has any interest.

I submitted a possible MacPolls idea a few months ago and would like to see if there is interest in it. I am curious to see how much pirated software people have on their computers (measured in US dollar amounts). The poll could be $0, $1-$200, $201-$500, $501-$1,000, $1,001-$2,000, $2,001-$5,000, $5,001+ (or something like that.) The value would reflect the MSRP prices. Is there interest in this sort of thing?

I think it applies because leaking these builds is software piracy.
Interesting thought for a Poll. I'm not sure I really want to know the answer as it might cause companies to raise the prices on software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.