Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Is there a way (or speculation on the ATV 2?) to have movies stored on an external HD attached to an airport extreme WItHOUt having your mac on?

I'm basically looking for any way to watch movies on the ATV2 without having the Mac involved.

Ideas welcome! Thanks:)

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
If you have an iOS device, you can watch movies on your ATV directly from the device using Airplay when iOS 4.2 is available. That way your Mac does not have to be involved.

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
The Time Capsule or Airport Extreme Base Station are not iTunes servers. They are just file servers. They don't have the smarts to be an iTunes server, at least not right now.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
That's a pain. For my partner, i didn't want to use my mac oripad - a storage solution would be the preferred way (like ATV v1)...dam :(

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
My Mac Mini will be serving AppleTVs. Since i have a Time Capsule, the Mini will sleep when it can, and be woken up when needed.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
You can get NAS drives that will serve the files using an iTunes protocol or something like that. If that was then plugged into your extreme, it should work.

Word of caution though, I have heard that with iTunes 10, a lot of those NAS iTunes solutions stopped working. Can't see why myself as the :apple:TVs would still see it from a mac running iTunes 9.

Worth a look maybe.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Actually on second thought I cant see this working for :apple:TV as you need to 'log' the tv into it. Forget I mentioned it.

Actually it depends on your NAS. The ones that run windows home server can install the full version of iTunes. These are the more expensive HP and the like.

The simple WD World Book and the like will probably not work.

I just wish that apple would include it in the time capsule, then I could sell 20 to friends and family. I don't sell them just recommend good products.

But apple wants to rent and not sell considering their pathetic hard drive sizes..... An iMac in 2010 with a 500 GB hard drive for over $1000 ???

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Omne666 - thanks! This is the kind of genius 'thinking outside of the box' (get it? :) answer i was hopping for.

Now, could anybody recommend any good NAS's that works connected to the extreme?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.