Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
I have a finder window open. How can I tell the heirarchy of the current folder? Some sort of tree structure... perhaps, like the Windows Explorer. Yup, I'm a switcher :)

Thanks!

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
You can command-click (apple+click) the folder name in the top of the window. It will show the tree.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Poeben said:
You can command-click (apple+click) the folder name in the top of the window. It will show the tree.
Also, you can Customize the Finder Toolbar and add a Path tool (among other things).

Either way works equally well, one allows for a mouse only action and the other requires a key+mouse to get the information.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
Bear said:
Also, you can Customize the Finder Toolbar and add a Path tool (among other things).

Either way works equally well, one allows for a mouse only action and the other requires a key+mouse to get the information.

Thanks.. that really helps! Is there someway I can see the path as I navigate? without having to click the 'path' button in the toolbar i just customized?

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
dscan99 said:
Is there someway I can see the path as I navigate?

do you mean like column view?

Attachments

• Picture 4.jpg
    Picture 4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,419

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
beatle888 said:
do you mean like column view?

Thanks.. I've set my finder to the column view. I meant a path display like /users/dscan99/applications/clock etc.. like you would in a unix terminal

just wondering .. but the column view is pretty useful to get a reference point.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
dscan99 said:
I meant a path display like /users/dscan99/applications/clock etc.. like you would in a unix terminal
drag the folder into a terminal window; it'll dump the path onto the command line.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Press Command+I and it will show you the path. Press Command+Option+I to open a window that will display the same thing, but instead whatever you select will be "Inspected"

beatle888

macrumors 68000
Feb 3, 2002
thats so funny. I never really needed the full path to a file/folder so i never really paid attention to the "Where" title in the GetInfo pallet. Thanks for the info.

dscan99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
Nashville, TN
zimv20 said:
drag the folder into a terminal window; it'll dump the path onto the command line.

Wow. What genius design. Thank you.. this is a wonderful tip!!!!! as is the little download utility... Now I remember why I chose a Mac laptop!!!!

It just rocks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.