Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted the AppleTV2,1 Firmware (Build 8M89) to their servers. The AppleTV firmware appears to be a version of iOS version 4.1 and can be downloaded here:

AppleTV2,1_4.1_8M89_Restore.ipsw

The firmware is of no use to anyone just yet, except perhaps those looking to jailbreak the Apple TV. But with the new Apple TV already shipping to customers, those individuals should be able to restore their Apple TVs to a factory fresh state using this firmware. Existing Apple TV owners are unable to take advantage of the new firmware due to fundamental differences in the hardware between the devices.

Given the shared codebase as iOS, many are expecting that the AppleTV will be jailbroken in time, opening the door to 3rd party applications and other hacks. Steve Jobs has said that they could open the door to an Apple TV App Store when the time is right.

Article Link: Apple Posts New iOS-Based AppleTV Firmware

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
I'm salivating at the possibilities.

So is it safe to assume that iPhone/iPad apps could be ported without too much trouble? I guess the main barrier would be the interface.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Since its running 4.1, the current IOS, I wonder how the updates will work once 4.2 is out. Are they gonna let it sit at 4.1 or keep all of the devices in sync.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
aw man

Too bad we got the old ATV. My dad said that it would be better than Tivo...mistake. The piece of poop couldn't even download Star Trek (which we bought on the ATV from the iTunes Store), wasting $10 of our money until we complained to Apple. And it only has HDMI and RGB, which also sucks because we don't have an HDMI cable or an RGB-using TV. We could only hook it up to the one TV that had a DVI connection with adapter to HDMI but we didn't want the ATV there. Until I get a cable, I have to use the Green cable in RGB and connect it to the RCA video input, giving me working but black-and-white video (yes, that actually works somehow). What's the point of RGB, it sucks compared to regular RCA :confused:!

Anyway too bad I can't use the new firmware on the old ATV. I'm assuming that the new ATV uses an ARM processor?

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Too bad we got the old ATV. My dad said that it would be better than Tivo...mistake. The piece of poop couldn't even download Star Trek (which we bought on the ATV from the iTunes Store), wasting $10 of our money until we complained to Apple. And it only has HDMI and RGB, which also sucks because we don't have an HDMI cable or an RGB-using TV. What's the point of RGB, it sucks compared to regular RCA :confused:!

Anyway too bad I can't use the new firmware on the old ATV. I'm assuming that the new ATV uses an ARM processor?

You bought an ATV but cheaped out on an HDMI and then complain here?

johnjohn7188

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Irvine, CA
Too bad we got the old ATV. My dad said that it would be better than Tivo...mistake. The piece of poop couldn't even download Star Trek (which we bought on the ATV from the iTunes Store), wasting $10 of our money until we complained to Apple. And it only has HDMI and RGB, which also sucks because we don't have an HDMI cable or an RGB-using TV. What's the point of RGB, it sucks compared to regular RCA :confused:!

Wow, dude. Slow down. RGB? I'm guessing you mean component. That's way better than composite (RCA). You don't have HDMI on your TV? Maybe you should invest in a new TV and faster internetz. All set top boxes nowadays require a fast internet connection to deliver content to your TV.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Wow, dude. Slow down. RGB? I'm guessing you mean component. That's way better than composite (RCA). You don't have HDMI on your TV? Maybe you should invest in a new TV and faster internetz. All set top boxes nowadays require a fast internet connection to deliver content to your TV.

The internet isn't a problem for me (I have gigabit ethernet going to a FIOS router with 25mbps internet). And I'm pretty sure component = RGB.

My TV has HDMI but I don't have the cable and the HDMI port broke somehow on it. We just got a new TV actually, but we still don't have the cable until I can find it.

And how is component better than RCA? I don't think there is a significant difference in quality, and everyone I know who has ever used RGB has ended up having one of the cables or ports not working (including my old TV which had non-working RGB ports). Not to mention I'm kinda short on those cables which I use for many other things.

Ooh, but wait, my new TV has composite input that I assume works. Finally! Now I just have to set it up :) if I have enough cables :confused:

PurdueGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
The internet isn't a problem for me (I have gigabit ethernet going to a FIOS router with 25mbps internet). And I'm pretty sure component = RGB.

My TV has HDMI but I don't have the cable and the HDMI port broke somehow on it. We just got a new TV actually, but we still don't have the cable until I can find it.

And how is component better than RCA? I don't think there is a significant difference in quality, and everyone I know who has ever used RGB has ended up having one of the cables or ports not working (including my old TV which had non-working RGB ports). Not to mention I'm kinda short on those cables which I use for many other things.

Ooh, but wait, my new TV has composite input that I assume works. Finally! Now I just have to set it up :) if I have enough cables :confused:
I think you have your cable terminology confused!!!

Component = red/blue/green cables that carry video, can be SD or HD
Composite = yellow plug (video is one cable), this is SD only

Most (all?) HDTV will have DVI or HDMI, as well as component inputs. Some also have dedicated composite inputs, while some share a composite/component input.

And MILLIONS of people are using compenent. If all your friends are breaking their's, they are doing something wrong.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010

Can you take your ****ing problems elsewhere? Nobody cares dude.

johnjohn7188

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Irvine, CA

Ever heard of monoprice? And composite being better than component? Composite is an old connector. It doesn't even support HD resolutions. How can you say you can't see the difference between 480i and 1080p?

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Good news from the Dev teams blog

UPDATE #1: It’s looking like SHAtter is going to be the gift that keeps on giving. Even though the new AppleTV isn’t yet in people’s homes, the firmware is available on Apple’s normal public distribution servers and SHAtter has been used to decrypt its keys! The main filesystem (“Mojave8M89.K66OS”) key for 018-8609-066.dmg is:

31c700a852f1877c88efc05bc5c63e8c7f081c4cb28d024ed7f9b0dbc98c7e1406e499c6

If you’re familiar with vfdecrypt, you can use that key to decrypt the image and mount it. If you do so, feel free to use the comments section to discuss what you discover there :) (And of course, thanks @pod2g!)

RandomNinjaAtk

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2008

Yeah Like everyone else is saying, I believe your confused on your terminology/connections and ports.

The Apple TV (previous gen 40/160GB), does not support Composite (analog) output, meaning no Yellow/Red/White cable with is Standard Def technology. It did however support Component with analog audio, meaning Red/Blue/Green (video) + White/Red (audio) which is High Def technology. And lastly it did have HDMI output (digital video/audio) which is a high def technology.

The new apple tv that is going to use IOS only supports High Def technology in which everything is transmitted over HDMI cable (digital video and audio). Your new HDTV or any recent HDTV in the past couple years will have HDMI inputs.

So after knowing this you'd know its impossible for an apple tv to operate with composite video. I think there were maybe some hacks out that could be done, but apple tv has only ever support HD video output.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Bah already all drooling to jailbreak... pathetic. The plus is app, original, legal app from App Store. AppleTV could be a killer with these.

alectheking

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2010
Bah already all drooling to jailbreak... pathetic. The plus is app, original, legal app from App Store. AppleTV could be a killer with these.

to put it into perspective, it could be a killer with the appstore, and a serial mass murderer with cydia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.