Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
The internet isn't a problem for me (I have gigabit ethernet going to a FIOS router with 25mbps internet). And I'm pretty sure component = RGB.

My TV has HDMI but I don't have the cable and the HDMI port broke somehow on it. We just got a new TV actually, but we still don't have the cable until I can find it.

And how is component better than RCA? I don't think there is a significant difference in quality, and everyone I know who has ever used RGB has ended up having one of the cables or ports not working (including my old TV which had non-working RGB ports). Not to mention I'm kinda short on those cables which I use for many other things.

Ooh, but wait, my new TV has composite input that I assume works. Finally! Now I just have to set it up :) if I have enough cables :confused:

Wow RGB better than RCA? So many things wrong with that statement.

First, you mean Component, not RGB. Since Component is capable of HD video and RCA cables are not (they only do low resolution video), that is clearly much better and your statement is false.

Also, you couldn't have been more wrong with calling it RGB. Component videos actually use YPbPr color space, not RGB, it's basically a completely different method of pulling color data and should never be mixed up. The closest thing that actually uses the RGB color space is VGA cables, which actually use that as a signal. Similarly the less common SCART cables also use VGA signaling.

YPbPr != RGB

Though you probably just called it RGB because that is the color of the cables. Shows how you have no clue what you are talking about. If you are going to complain about the Apple TV's faults, at least have some basic knowledge of what video technology is.

Sigh.. why am I even bothering, you are just going to post something else that is equally clueless.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
This proves the new apple tv is running IOS :) For all those skeptics out there!

Everyone's known the whole time that it runs iOS. Anyone with doubts clearly doesn't read.

Anyway, I'm stoked for the hacking possibilities. I knew when it didn't ship with pandora that there was some opportunity for some kind of expansion software-wise. I guarantee there will be apps for this thing officially. When, I don't know. But they will exist.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
So someone just needs to create some warez that will allow people to use their magic trackpad or even the iphone/ipad as a control surface to control the ATV... and then allow us to use any of the iphone/ipad apps on the ATV. Boom!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I might buy this once an App Store is available for this. Also, I don't think Netflix, one of the main/important features, is available for international users. Canada just got it recently. Without an App Store, Apple will have a hard time selling this outside of the US. Even within the US, it's not as strong as it could be.

Also to faroZ06, you mixed up your cables and ports. Head over to monoprice.com which sells cheap but very good quality cables. I've bought many cables from them personally and can vouch for them. I suggest HDMI because you confused component with composite. HDMI is just one cable for both audio and video. It's very easy to setup. Your HDTV should have an HDMI port. Any HDTV sold within the last year or two has an HDMI port, if not more than one.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
So someone just needs to create some warez that will allow people to use their magic trackpad or even the iphone/ipad as a control surface to control the ATV... and then allow us to use any of the iphone/ipad apps on the ATV. Boom!

Apple already has a free Remote App in the app store that allows you to control the Apple TV using the iPhone, iPod Touch, or iPad. It hasn't been updated to retina graphics or optimized for the iPad yet though. I'm pretty sure they will be updating it now that a new Apple TV is available.

The app also controls itunes on your Mac and is great for using Airtunes (now known as Airplay of course). It works amazingly well. It's strange how many people don't know about this free app from Apple. Even many who currently own an Apple TV.

RobBookPro

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
They better bring out an App Store... Because everyone outside the US has been short-changed.

incorrect. One of the amazing features of the new Apple TV is that you get to choose whether you buy it or not. It even comes with a magical web page which tells you all of its abilities before you buy it... I know, the competition is going to be copying apple in no time.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
They better bring out an App Store... Because everyone outside the US has been short-changed.

Not really, I just use a private VPN inside the US to access US-only content. I configured the Time Capsule to automatically connect through the VPN.

I don't see any reason I shouldn't use a US credit card and start a NetFlix subscription to use with the Apple TV?

What am I missing?

aughsum

May 6, 2010
The internet isn't a problem for me (I have gigabit ethernet going to a FIOS router with 25mbps internet). And I'm pretty sure component = RGB.

My TV has HDMI but I don't have the cable and the HDMI port broke somehow on it. We just got a new TV actually, but we still don't have the cable until I can find it.

And how is component better than RCA? I don't think there is a significant difference in quality, and everyone I know who has ever used RGB has ended up having one of the cables or ports not working (including my old TV which had non-working RGB ports). Not to mention I'm kinda short on those cables which I use for many other things.

Ooh, but wait, my new TV has composite input that I assume works. Finally! Now I just have to set it up :) if I have enough cables :confused:

I didn't need to wakeup to this.....

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
With the new apple tv, wouldn't the jail breaking occur at the device streaming to the apple tv and not the apple tv itself?

Also when it comes t o1080p, is that something that apple could increase with a firmware update if they saw a need for it? Or is it hardware related?

myvoiceinyrhead

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Not the best customer loyalty scheme..

Why no backwards compatibility???

What am I susposed to do with my old Apple TV when the app store launches?

There should be a version of IOS for existing (and more expensive) apple TVs

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010

#1. It's not more expensive. It's older technology. The typical trend of electronics is to decline in price. You don't hear the XBox360 crowd complaining like this.

#2. You might as well give up your hunt for iOS on your old device now, the two AppleTVs run completely different chipsets meaning the old one can NEVER run iOS.

x03n

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2010
Not really, I just use a private VPN inside the US to access US-only content. I configured the Time Capsule to automatically connect through the VPN.

I don't see any reason I shouldn't use a US credit card and start a NetFlix subscription to use with the Apple TV?

What am I missing?

acidfast, I might need to pick your brain on who you use for a vpn and how you configured time capsule to do that. I am currently in Mannheim, Germany and my netflix streaming is going to waste because I am outside of the US.

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
I wonder how the exploit works, if maybe you have to stream a corrupted file to the tv or use the on board USB... Any ideas?

callme

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
And where are the Apps stored on the new Apple TV?
It has no internal storage, it streams content only.

callme

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010

No App Store for Apple TV as no where to store the Apps, no hard drive or internal storage!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.