Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps

Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:17 AM   #1
caubeck
macrumors 6502

Do NOT buy Picsel Smart Office for the iPad

Visually the app is quite nice. It's colorful and seems to have the usual variety of features in very basic Office apps on iOS.

However, it seems to have been ported directly from another mobile operating system with no thought for iOS at all. I'm not going to attempt to explore its features and limitations for text editing because right now it's all irrelevant.

The "Help" mentions how to move documents to and from SD cards!

There's no way to export documents from the app. At all. It gives you the physical pathway to where the doc is stored - where only jailbreakers could go - but there's no way to mail docs out or open them in other apps.

I've demanded my money back.

Meanwhile, do not buy this app. It's not for us and I have no idea how it got through the approval process.

Last edited by caubeck; Sep 29, 2010 at 08:55 AM.
caubeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:24 AM   #2
zed2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by caubeck View Post
Visually the app is quite nice. It's colorful and seems to have the usual variety of features in very basic Office apps on iOS.

However, it seems to have been ported directly from another mobile operating system with no thought for iOS at all. I'm not going to attempt to explore its features and limitations for text editing because right now it's all irrelevant.

The "Help" mentions how to move documents to and from SD cards!

There's no way to export documents from the app. At all. It gives you the physical pathway to where the doc is stored - where only jailbreakers could go - but there's no way to mail docs out or open them in other apps.

I'm torn between demanding my money back or waiting till the developers wake up and make massive changes.

Meanwhile, do not buy this app. It's not for us and I have no idea how it got through the approval process.

I suggest that you make a complaint to Apple... Sounds like they should not have allowed the app to be released.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 08:53 AM   #3
caubeck
macrumors 6502

Yes, I did in the end, just after I posted the above. I don't mind waiting for cheaper apps to improve but this one goes a bit too far and isn't cheap.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 10:42 AM   #4
franmatt80
macrumors 6502a

Thanks for posting this - I've looked at the app and debated buying it, and only the complete lack of any info on either app store or website stopped me doing it.

Hope you get your refund as it sounds like a ridiculously badly written app....
Old Oct 3, 2010, 08:05 PM   #5
caubeck
macrumors 6502

I complained to Apple and the developer and heard nothing back. That was five days ago. So we'll see.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:38 AM   #6
caubeck
macrumors 6502

For the record, neither Apple (two emails) nor the developers have got back to me, after 12 days.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:41 AM   #7
zed2
macrumors 6502a

well that sucks... I've spoken to apple about a number of issues and they have always responded very quickly
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:39 PM   #8
caubeck
macrumors 6502

Well, I don't think I'll be hearing back from anyone now!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPad Apps