Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1
nocturnesa
macrumors newbie

Iphone 4, how to check if its locked?

Hi

I've just bought an iphone 4 through vodafone. How do i check if it is really locked to vodafone? I don't have a different network's micro sim with me so thats not an option.

Any way to tell via the settings menu?

Cheers
nocturnesa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
moussekateer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnesa View Post
Hi

I've just bought an iphone 4 through vodafone. How do i check if it is really locked to vodafone? I don't have a different network's micro sim with me so thats not an option.

Cheers
Nope, there's really no way to tell until you put another sim in there.
moussekateer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:00 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnesa View Post
Hi

Cheers
No.
But when you restore or update an officially unlocked iphone thru itunes you will see the following message right after it activates.
If you dont see it then its probably carrier locked.

Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:17 PM   #4
Ever34
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
No.
But when you restore or update an officially unlocked iphone thru itunes you will see the following message right after it activates.
If you dont see it then its probably carrier locked.

I have a factory unlocked phone purchased apple store in Canada. I have not seen that message at anytime following an update.
Ever34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:25 PM   #5
langers2010
macrumors member

As far as I'm aware, that message only appears if the iPhone was once locked and then has been unlocked by the carrier through itunes.

My old 3GS was locked to O2 and I got that message when they unlocked it for me, the next time I restored it through itunes.

My iPhone 4 on the other hand was sold unlocked from the Apple store and iTunes has never displayed that message.
langers2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:36 PM   #6
trekkie604
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by langers2010 View Post
As far as I'm aware, that message only appears if the iPhone was once locked and then has been unlocked by the carrier through itunes.

My old 3GS was locked to O2 and I got that message when they unlocked it for me, the next time I restored it through itunes.

My iPhone 4 on the other hand was sold unlocked from the Apple store and iTunes has never displayed that message.
I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple Canada and the first time I synced it with iTunes it displayed that message.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 02:27 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Thumbs up

Oh, so its a one time thing only once unlocked by the carrier and probably wont come up with factory unlocked units.
Thanks for the clarification.
So the only way prob for the OP is try another carriers sim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by langers2010 View Post

Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone