Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nocturnesa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Hi

I've just bought an iphone 4 through vodafone. How do i check if it is really locked to vodafone? I don't have a different network's micro sim with me so thats not an option.

Any way to tell via the settings menu?

Cheers

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Hi

I've just bought an iphone 4 through vodafone. How do i check if it is really locked to vodafone? I don't have a different network's micro sim with me so thats not an option.

Cheers

Nope, there's really no way to tell until you put another sim in there.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Hi

Cheers

No.
But when you restore or update an officially unlocked iphone thru itunes you will see the following message right after it activates.
If you dont see it then its probably carrier locked.

iphone-unlocked.jpg

Ever34

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
No.
But when you restore or update an officially unlocked iphone thru itunes you will see the following message right after it activates.
If you dont see it then its probably carrier locked.

iphone-unlocked.jpg

I have a factory unlocked phone purchased apple store in Canada. I have not seen that message at anytime following an update.

langers2010

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
As far as I'm aware, that message only appears if the iPhone was once locked and then has been unlocked by the carrier through itunes.

My old 3GS was locked to O2 and I got that message when they unlocked it for me, the next time I restored it through itunes.

My iPhone 4 on the other hand was sold unlocked from the Apple store and iTunes has never displayed that message.

trekkie604

macrumors 68000
Feb 25, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
As far as I'm aware, that message only appears if the iPhone was once locked and then has been unlocked by the carrier through itunes.

My old 3GS was locked to O2 and I got that message when they unlocked it for me, the next time I restored it through itunes.

My iPhone 4 on the other hand was sold unlocked from the Apple store and iTunes has never displayed that message.

I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 from Apple Canada and the first time I synced it with iTunes it displayed that message.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Oh, so its a one time thing only once unlocked by the carrier and probably wont come up with factory unlocked units.
Thanks for the clarification.
So the only way prob for the OP is try another carriers sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.