Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 29, 2006
OK:

I am running into a dilemma. I love purchasing movies in HD through iTunes and run it through my appleTV. I love not having the discs flying around the house, etc. I don't have any storage issues when I do it this way. But, Disney has not released everything digitally as of yet. Many, many movies are available in blu-ray though. So, before I go into this purchase with Beauty and the Beast this weekend, I'm not sure which version to buy. I really think it'll drive me nuts if I have disney movies in two different versions. Example: If I want to watch G-Force, I don't want to have to think, hmmmmm now is that in digital format, or blu-ray format.

What is it ya'll do?

gldc

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2010
The Disney blu-rays are much better quality IMHO and come with loads of special features and are cheaper. Love their blu-rays.

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
The way to do it is to build your library in a consistent fashion. iTunes content is in the .m4v format. The digital copies are in that format too. If you use AppleTV that is a good format to base you library on. If there is a movie that you cannot get in .m4v you will need to convert. A DVD can be converted to .m4v with Handbrake. A BluRay disk can be converted to .m4v with a combination of MakeMKV and handbrake. You can see other posts here about this process.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I would rather purchase a Blu-ray instead of the digital format. Blu-ray is far better quality and if you already have the player it's worth it. But I do understand liking the idea of not having to get up and search for a movie as well. For a few years I have streamed the majority of my movies through my XBOX 360 and had a huge catalog of movies stored on a External HD connected to my iMac. I can't see spending $20 on a HD Digital format that is only 720p when I can get the Blu-ray for the same price or cheaper in a lot of cases.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
I like digital as you are more likely to watch it since it's easier to access. I have over 500 plus dvds & blu-rays combined. I hardly ever rewatch them anymore. Since apple tv is now in my house, I find myself using that more than physical media. True, blu-ray is far better quality - but at times it could be touch to tell the difference between the two. Just my two cents.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX
I like digital as you are more likely to watch it since it's easier to access. I have over 500 plus dvds & blu-rays combined. I hardly ever rewatch them anymore. Since apple tv is now in my house, I find myself using that more than physical media. True, blu-ray is far better quality - but at times it could be touch to tell the difference between the two. Just my two cents.

There is a huge difference in quality between Blu-Ray (better) and Apple Digital Downloads (good, but not the best). The fact that you can't see this worries me or makes me wonder if you are using HDMI and/or a HDTV.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
There is a huge difference in quality between Blu-Ray (better) and Apple Digital Downloads (good, but not the best). The fact that you can't see this worries me or makes me wonder if you are using HDMI and/or a HDTV.

LOL. Thanks, but you don't need to worry about me.

omni

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Dont some Disney blu Ray movies come with downloadable versions?

Either way, I buy the blu Ray versions and convert them using makemkv and handbrake.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Blu-ray is almost always cheaper with Disney and you get more features. I paid $10 for Snow White (Amazon), $10 for Sleeping Beauty (Amazon), $10 for UP (Amazon), $30 for A Bug's Life, Cars, Ratouille ( together from Amazon) and $25 for Monster's Inc, Toy Story and Toy Story 2 (together from Target) all on Blu-ray.

There are always coupon deals available with these.

Beauty and the Beast comes out tomorrow. Here's a $10 off coupon:

http://www.disneymovierewards.go.co...coupon?cmp=dmov_dmr_url_batblptw-coupon_print

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.