Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 7, 2010, 12:41 PM   #1
VenusianSky
macrumors 65816

Transfer notes from old iPhone to new...Need help

I had a Genius appointment today regarding a proximity sensor issue on my iPhone4 that I just got on Monday. They did a DFU restore and to my surprise, it seems to have resolved the problem. They told me not to restore my iphone this time, but set it up as a new one. My concern is that I have a bunch of notes on my previous backup and on my old iPhone that I need to get back on my new phone. Is there an easy way for me to do this?
VenusianSky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:23 PM   #2
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Didnít you sync your notes to Outlook or Mail?
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:27 PM   #3
maturola
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to maturola
I don;t think there is a straight forward way to transfers "only" your notes if you didn't sync them with Outlook or google or something like aggie said, however you can use BackupExtrator to extract the note database and them use SQlite database browser to read that notes and Manually (or copy paste) input them into the new iPhone profile.

I would recommend Evernote app (free)to replace your note.app, works great, sync your note across all your computer and iDevices and you will never lost a note again. (you can make Video notes, audio notes, photo notes, and much more)

WebSite - AppStore Link
maturola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 01:34 PM   #4
VenusianSky
macrumors 65816

I am not sure if they are synced with Outlook. I wasn't even aware of the option. I sync my Contacts and Calendar to Outlook, so I wonder if it synced my notes too. Not home yet, but I will check. Thanks.
VenusianSky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

if you haven't synced your notes with outlook, what you could do is restore with backup, check the option and sync your notes, then restore again from scratch.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2010, 02:14 PM   #6
Mliii
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
You might want to check into a program called 'Phone View'. I've used it to transfer things back and forth from my Mac to my iPhone & the opposite.
Haven't used it to move texts that are only on my Mac TO my iPhone yet.
Not affiliated with them at all.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 02:20 PM   #7
IrishVixen
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mliii View Post
You might want to check into a program called 'Phone View'. I've used it to transfer things back and forth from my Mac to my iPhone & the opposite.
Haven't used it to move texts that are only on my Mac TO my iPhone yet.
Not affiliated with them at all.
Unfortunately, copying of Notes in PhoneView doesn't work with iOS 4, only 3.1.3 and below. Hopefully they'll eventually figure out how to make it work with the newer firmware, but for now, it's not an option for the OP.

http://ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/instructions.html (refs to iOS 4 limitations under Notes Access)
Old Oct 7, 2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Mliii
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishVixen View Post
Unfortunately, copying of Notes in PhoneView doesn't work with iOS 4, only 3.1.3 and below. Hopefully they'll eventually figure out how to make it work with the newer firmware, but for now, it's not an option for the OP.

http://ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/instructions.html (refs to iOS 4 limitations under Notes Access)
Yes, you are right! Maybe THAT'S why I haven't used it that way!
Old Oct 7, 2010, 02:55 PM   #9
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusianSky View Post
I am not sure if they are synced with Outlook. I wasn't even aware of the option. I sync my Contacts and Calendar to Outlook, so I wonder if it synced my notes too. Not home yet, but I will check. Thanks.
Well, when you first synced your phone, all the different sync options for Contacts, Calendar, Notes, etc. are in the Info Tab in iTunes. So, you would have had to ignore the option. Hopefully, you didnít. If you did sync, youíll be all set for syncing them back over. If you didnít then the other options discussed in this thread are available to you.

This is just another reason to jailbreak, since you can just copy the Notes.db back to get your notes.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone